Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 12:04 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times

Advertisements

What's amazing to me is how the anti-gun crowd is so convinced that disarming themselves will somehow protect them from violence. The great majority of crime victims are unarmed. There are also many stories of armed citizens protecting themselves and others. The police do that everyday.

Violence is part of human nature. We've lived with it since some angry neanderthal emerged from a cave with a rock to kill the guy in the cave next door. It's silly to think that taking away your ability to protect yourself or your family will somehow make you safer. There are more people in the World than ever in history and that number is climbing rapidly. Not to mention all the social woes and mental health issues that are a result of our ever more disconnected families and communities. It only follows that violence will continue to increase over time.

How you choose to live your life and what measures you want to take to protect yourself are your own. If you want to stay safe, learn self-defense, pay attention to your surroundings, and if you're inclined, learn to use a firearm to protect yourself. But please don't tell those of us who are armed that we can't continue to be armed because it fits some false political narrative cooked up by elitists who have probably never held a gun, but insist on being surrounded by armed security 24/7. Don't believe me, then just ask your anti-gun congressman if he/she thinks the capital police should give up their guns.

As for AR's. They are one of the more inexpensive, configurable and reliable sporting rifles on the market. That's why they are also really popular. They are also popular with ex-military guys like me because we are very familiar with them. But the VAST majority of AR owners are people who simply enjoy sport shooting and being able to work on their own rifles. It's a false narrative to claim that stripping honest, hard working, good people of AR's will keep anyone safe.

The only thing that will actually keep you safe is being prepared to be unsafe.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:04 PM

29,490 posts, read 14,656,154 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So true to the above post. If only those with the lack of common sense will get it.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:07 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
It's funny, the same people that think it's impossible to round up 11 million illegal aliens but rounding up 300 million guns would be no problem...

Old 02-19-2018, 12:10 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,112,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
It's funny, the same people that think it's impossible to round up 11 million illegal aliens but rounding up 300 million guns would be no problem...
I would only surrender my firearms if there was a promise of a pathway to legal ownership.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,793,105 times
The midterms are going to be a disaster for those who take NRA campaign funding, by not even discussing better background checks, or bump stock bans you have a generation of millennial’s who think politicians care more about the 2nd amendment than their own life.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:16 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
The midterms are going to be a disaster for those who take NRA campaign funding, by not even discussing better background checks, or bump stock bans you have a generation of millennial’s who think politicians care more about the 2nd amendment than their own life.
Depends on where you live. People here still believe in the constitution.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
What if the Police/Feds come to take your AR?
They'd be coming to the wrong house - - I don't have one.

Tough gun guys really seem to get freaked out by this fiction.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They also didn't account for when writing the 1st all the keyboard commando's who due to the internet can say some of the most vile,inflaming and disgusting things, things they'd never think to say to one another much less in public to complete strangers not to mention send video/pictures of same.

I wonder what they'd write if they were alive today? I bet it would be much more thought put into regulations today.
They had thick skin and would expect others to be just as tough.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:24 PM

709 posts, read 656,802 times
As stated by Robert Heinlein...

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”

Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You are correct, and why would they ? All they would have to do is make it a felony to have one in your possession. Give a grace period of 30 days from the date of the ban to have people hand them in.
Yes and I am sure the criminals would be getting in line to turn them in. Hahahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies