Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
NY state requires a license and that can take up to 6 months, that is not the case in many of these states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A totally unfair law to law abiding people.

This is exactly why the good people of New York have allowed the elected representatives of their state to turn a constitutional right into a privilege.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
No one is asking you to surrender your gun, just asking for more sensible gun laws.
Then I get to make the decision about which laws are sensible. Any problem with that?

Old 11-22-2017, 07:10 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
NY state requires a license and that can take up to 6 months, that is not the case in many of these states.
Oh I know. There's one reason I don't live in NY...

That concealed carry process is a joke. With character witnesses and a clean record I was still denied for not having a good enough reason. Not once. Not twice. 3 times. Chief law enforcement officer gets to dictate whether you are worthy of exercising a Constitutional right...

What does NYs unconstitutional laws have to do with criminals and firearms?
You have to fill out a 4473 and pass a NICS check to buy a gun yes? Unless private sale or gift...

Old 11-22-2017, 09:32 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Neither Indiana, Wisconsin or MS regulate guns other than a background check. No waiting period, no license or permit required. Most states around 70% of guns used in a crime come from within and in the case of Chicago its reversed. Its easier to for criminals to get guns in those states, that is pretty clear. It's lax guns laws, its proximity and also special situations about migration and criminal connections in other states.
Not true. Wisconsin has a 48 hour waiting period to buy a handgun, and in order to receive a concealed carry permit you have to show proof of training.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:55 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
No one is asking you to surrender your gun, just asking for more sensible gun laws.
What's your solution vs dancing around what you want? What do you want?

Old 11-23-2017, 06:49 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
"No one is asking you to surrender your gun,"

BUT, it HAS been said that they would LIKE TO and WOULD if the could.

" just asking for more sensible gun laws."

I have NOT SEEN any NEW LAWS suggested that are "SENSIBLE"

What do YOU suggest?

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Just out of curiosity, what do YOU think the word "infringed" means?

Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Rubbish 50 years later any fool can buy a gun with complete ease, including crazy people and thieves because you gun guys love your shows and easy access cause reasons.

but what i see is lots and lots of dead gun owners and thousands of dead kids. I know a kid who shot and killed himself just a few months back. He was 15 , doing great in schools, scouts and with girls. he got his dads locked and secured gun, and killed himself... without the gun it would have likely just been an attempt , he would have been helped and his life saved.

instead that great american kid, is dead and his mom , his dad, his brother, his sister are destroyed down to their souls.

to hell with you folks promoting and pushing guns like snake oil.
I'm not some gun fanatic but I think if you check the suicide rates in some of the countries with very strict gun laws you will see rates much higher than here in the US. As far as using a gun to commit suicide, unfortunately i knew 7 teenagers that committed suicide (at different times). None of them used a gun. Most used carbon monoxide from an auto exhaust. If the child committed suicide there was likely an issue you were not aware of.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:59 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I'm not some gun fanatic but I think if you check the suicide rates in some of the countries with very strict gun laws you will see rates much higher than here in the US. As far as using a gun to commit suicide, unfortunately i knew 7 teenagers that committed suicide (at different times). None of them used a gun. Most used carbon monoxide from an auto exhaust. If the child committed suicide there was likely an issue you were not aware of.
Japan, for example. You really can't own a gun there and their suicide rate is about twice what it is in the US.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:43 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Japan, for example. You really can't own a gun there and their suicide rate is about twice what it is in the US.

Japan has come up a lot in this discussion. Having spent a bit of time there I can attest that the Bushido code is in full effect. It's just been morphed into the work force. I call it Corporate Bushido. Failure in ones job to attain perfection is seen as a total failure. It reflects on the whole workforce not just a single individual.

It's the team concept on steroids and meth. Shame is the ultimate sin in Japanese culture. They would rather die than be shamed and bring shame. Thus, they commit seppuku. They don't have guns so the just hang themselves, stab themselves, whatever is handy. But they don't jump off a building or anything public.

They turn inward, not out. Thus the shame remains with them. Not whoever they failed be that in either executive or work force positions. It's quite more complicated than that but that is the nuts and bolts. Japan accepts its suicides without question. It's just a natural part of things. And there's nothing like that here.

If they had access to guns they would probably use them. But the suicide rate would not change a bit.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:45 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
As I predicted, there are still some leftist fanatics popping up and trying to use long-refuted arguments as "facts", apparently hoping that people would have forgotten by now how many times they have already been spanked.

Now we have another. So, looks like it's time for yet another re-post, to refute these loonies for the 1,354th time:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You just kill me. The only thing worse than comments like these are the ones that follow in agreement/support...

Though as a progressive I can readily admit there are many among the gun control crowd who are misguided about addressing the gun/violence problem, but to suggest their goal is to "disarm the LAW ABIDING citizen" is just too ridiculous to let go
I disagree. The only thing worse than comments like those, is the fact that they are demonstrably true, and people are dying as a result.

These "gun control" advocates have been pushing the same tactics for years. Actually decades. Gun bans, so-called "buy-backs", magazine restrictions, one-gun-a-month restrictions, "gun free zones", and all the rest.

And not one of them (or all taken together) have ever reduced the number of crimes, dead victims, or anything else. If anything, they have increased their numbers, as law-abiding people voluntarily give up their guns or obey other asinine restrictions while criminals do not.

And the people pushing these restrictions and bans, have been there from the beginning, watching what happens... and they know that their tactics don't work. It has been pointed out endless times, by eyewitnesses, statistics, overburdened hospital rooms, and even government studies by the Justice Departments of their own pet administrations.

And yet they keep pushing the same tactics, over and over, heedless of the fact that they themselves have repeatedly proven that criminals don't obey them and the law-abiding only suffer from them.

We don't "kill you". You kill us, by avoiding the laws that would reduce crimes (including gun crimes and murders) and passing only laws that disarm the law-abiding - something that continues even as you try to pretend otherwise.

And you have seen yourself what the results are. Law-abiding people obey your restrictions while criminals do not. And you keep on imposing the same restrictions on us anyway.

Can you suggest any motive for doing this to us, other than a desire to DELIBERATELY do exactly what you are doing: Disarming the law-abiding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies