Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 07:58 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,787,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So essentially you think its within the control of the government or some entity to reduce violent crime to zero?
No, I don't, and I never said that… read my post again.

What I DID say is that there will never be "long term significant change" in gun violence without an all out national ban of all firearms.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:02 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
But you don't know that, do you? No one does. You cannot keep coming out with this argument that we are helpless to do anything because they will just find another way of killing more people. That's not necessarily true, and it is usually false.

The Las Vegas shooter would have likely been able to pull off his massacre even with increased background checks and restrictions on assault rifles.

However, that is not necessarily true either. There was a gun store owner in Nevada who refused to sell him a rifle. With increased scrutiny there is an increased chance he might have called someone in law enforcement who could have questioned him and prevented the massacre from ever happening.

You see, we don't know what will happen until we start doing something. We are doing nothing. That is the problem.
So you would do something, ban ARs, even though there is little chance it would have made a difference.
Far more people are killed with handguns than rifles every year.
Instead of banning guns, push the police/FBI to do their jobs. Increase security at schools. Both much easier to do and more likely to help.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
If you don't like guns, don't get one. But you don't have the right to determine that they should be banned.
Actually, I DO have the right to determine that guns should be banned… It's up to the government however to act in the best interest of it's people, which it's not currently doing. I have the right to express my belief that only a total ban will create significant change in gun violence, and that any other half measure, or no measure as it currently stands, will not do a thing to lower gun violence in the short or long term.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
YOUR guns may not hurt anyone (may), but the laws that allow you to possess your guns means that there are limitless guns in the U.S. many of which will hurt and kill many people, so your privilege or right to have your “safe” guns means that many will die from others. Seems like a trade off you and many others are willing to make.

At this point is not about “if” we will have another school shooting, it’s about “when” and how many kids will die in the next one, and the ones after that. If there isn’t a national ban for all firearms, there is absolutely no hope that these mass shootings will stop. Things like arming teachers etc. are short term and short sighted bandages (and not good bandages) for this problem.

My proposal is the only one that will make any kind of long term difference, whether you like it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
No, I don't, and I never said that… read my post again.

What I DID say is that there will never be "long term significant change" in gun violence without an all out national ban of all firearms.
Interesting. To me, "stopping" means zero shootings. Just because you retyped some words with quotes around them, doesn't mean they negate what you actually wrote and what I actually quoted and was responding to.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
I would be surprised if half registered to vote. I would be equally surprised if half of the registered bothered to vote.
Good to see people having faith in our children.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nope...

yes bumpstocks (which are dangerous and uncontrollable) should be banned... i don't have a problem with that, neither does anyother conservative out there
So conservatives can say "no" to something that is gun related. I'm impressed - - I guess there's a first for everything.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:14 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,226,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
From the little I know about the subject, I understand you can convert almost any rifle to fully automatic.
Yep. Those single shot bolt actions, when converted to full auto, are able to fire 8,000 rounds per second. Amazing!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Interesting. To me, "stopping" means zero shootings. Just because you retyped some words with quotes around them, doesn't mean they negate what you actually wrote and what I actually quoted and was responding to.
You took my sentence about the hopes of mass shootings stopping and re-framed it as "reduce violent crime to zero", which I never said, which is why I told you to re-read my post. You didn't "quote" me at all, you took what I wrote an interpreted it into something I didn't say.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:23 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,372,722 times
LT COL DAVE GROSSMAN FULL ONE-ON-ONE INTERVIEW WITH TUCKER CARLSON (2/19/2018)

About half way in he talks about similar school shootings in Germany and Russia where guns are very regulated.

It's not about the guns!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG4PP1rV8fk

Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Weapons
Glock 19 pistol
Walther P22 pistol[4]
Deaths 33 (including the perpetrator)[5]:127
Non-fatal injuries
23 (17 by gunfire)[6]:92[7]
Perpetrator Seung-Hui Cho

Hmmm not a white guy

Not an AR-15

Banning the 15 will do what again?

Did you all forget?
If it's not a white guy and not an AR-15 it doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies