Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:01 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times

Advertisements

So I'm retiring soon and I came onto C-D basically as I was doing my research into the new places I think i may want to retire too.

I am surprised how many folks on various state forms want to move because of a certain person being elected or asking if one area is this way or that.

when my late husband and I were looking for our first house to raise our kids we were looking for good school districts first, ease of public transportation and things like that. we never thought to ask "is Vorhees township" liberal??

I have a good girlfriend who is retiring to ST thomas because she refuses to give her money to a "red" state. WTH???

I've got my top 3 spots I think I may like 1) Naples florida, 2) savannah/Tybee Islan Ga, and Charleston sc.
never did I ask what the political leanings where.

Am I simply out of touch?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:53 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I can say that for people moving to Oregon this has been common for a while. What I find interesting about it is that I rarely have someone ask for a city that is conservative. It is almost always liberals looking to get away from those they deem too conservative.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:08 PM

453 posts, read 345,492 times
I don't see how it's any different from people seeking out others similar to them in other ways. It's how you end up with ethnic or religious enclaves. How do you think certain areas became liberal or conservative in the first place?

Old 11-17-2017, 02:19 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
I don't see how it's any different from people seeking out others similar to them in other ways. It's how you end up with ethnic or religious enclaves. How do you think certain areas became liberal or conservative in the first place?
Lol, I always thought ut was gerrymandering.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:40 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
It's definitely not new, people often want to see if they will feel comfortable and that they fit in. And if you are part of a religious or ethnic minority, most people also check to see if there are people in those categories as well. I am not a particularly observant Jew but I would not want to move someplace where I was the only one in town!

Old 11-17-2017, 02:42 PM

388 posts, read 307,611 times
We moved from Massachusetts to Alaska five years ago, and our choices both to leave and where to move to were based in part on the political leanings of the locations involved. This is not out of any desire to be insulated from opposing viewpoints, but because the majority political opinion of a place will have a direct, tangible impact on the lives of the people living there.

Massachusetts is a very high-tax nanny state, where it's very difficult to start a business or homeschool your kids. At the time we moved it was also the only state to have imposed mandatory health insurance, which was a product that it didn't make financial sense for us to buy. So we moved to Alaska, where the political climate is much more independent and people are, for the most part, left alone to run their own lives. We can educate our child without the state's interference, and the process of starting our own business is far less onerous. Of course it's not perfect, but it suits us much better. It seems to me to make perfect sense to choose a place to live where the political inclinations are in line with one's own priorities.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:14 PM

524 posts, read 574,821 times
If politics are important to you, I don't see a problem with looking for a place that closely aligns with your positions. If politics aren't important to you, then I can see not paying any attention to political lean. If you have never lived somewhere that is the polar opposite of your political beliefs, you may not realize how frustrating it can be.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:51 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
We moved from Massachusetts to Alaska five years ago, and our choices both to leave and where to move to were based in part on the political leanings of the locations involved. This is not out of any desire to be insulated from opposing viewpoints, but because the majority political opinion of a place will have a direct, tangible impact on the lives of the people living there.

Massachusetts is a very high-tax nanny state, where it's very difficult to start a business or homeschool your kids. At the time we moved it was also the only state to have imposed mandatory health insurance, which was a product that it didn't make financial sense for us to buy. So we moved to Alaska, where the political climate is much more independent and people are, for the most part, left alone to run their own lives. We can educate our child without the state's interference, and the process of starting our own business is far less onerous. Of course it's not perfect, but it suits us much better. It seems to me to make perfect sense to choose a place to live where the political inclinations are in line with one's own priorities.
anecdotally what we see ....

right-leaners care, for exactly the reasons you say. They don't want what they perceive as high-tax and regulation places.

it does seem that left-leaners ask because they care about the political/social opinions of the populace.

I've never actually seen or heard of a place where you're ostracized or ridiculed for politics or religion (maybe Muslims over the last decade, if they moved to a small town without many other Muslims).

Old 11-17-2017, 03:56 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,572,494 times
I think the country will get much more polarized as time goes on.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:02 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Don't forget that people want diverse, progressive, liberal, rural, small towns with active arts scenes where they'll be welcomed with open arms even after calling the longtime residents toothless, uneducated, meth smoking, Oxy dealing, trailer park dwelling, sister ****ing inbreds.

Other than that they really like their new neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies