Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

I think it is a new thing. People want to live in echo-chambers now and don't want to deal with any opposing views. It is NEW and it is what it is. No stopping it now. I think it is extremely unhealthy to not understand why people act differently than themselves because it creates more tolerance to others and more kindness/unity. Oh well, that isn't going to happen.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
Sounds like a familiar story.

I was at an oil changing shop and Fox News was on, but when "diversity" came inside the shop, the employees of the shop pretended to quietly change the channel to another that actually gave REAL FACTS! LOL. Watching Fox News is like watching a serious version of SNL or Mad TV, but it's not. The shop employees appeared embarrassed but behind closed doors it's their go-to channel. It's like having Playboy TV on in what is supposed to be a professional and welcoming business environment, something Fox News ISN'T.

Places where people SHOP has no place to have politics involved! It all depends on who's really managing the shop to begin with!
Oh please, now you are just making stuff up because you don't agree with that viewpoint . Shaming, and coercion don't mix with free speech. If you don't like what is on then try being quietly respectful, we do. It's really not that difficult. And btw why would Fox news be "political", and CNN wouldn't be "political"? That isn't logical.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:09 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
People have always self-sorted based on similar preferences, but I think it's probably being taken to a new level.

I'm a Republican. I voted for Trump. With that said, I live in east TN, and I don't like it here. It's very much a "Bubba" and unsophisticated place. Few amenities, little in the way of professional employment, poor QoL.

I'd rather be in a moderately blue area that had a promising future than way back here in the sticks.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
the longtime residents toothless, uneducated, meth smoking, Oxy dealing, trailer park dwelling, sister ****ing inbreds.

Other than that they really like their new neighbors.
Worse yet, sometimes the longtime residents ARE these types.

There can be - note - I said "can be" a certain vibe that exists where slavery was EVERYTHING. This includes Savannah, Charleston, etc.

People are nice. But once in awhile something just hits you in the face. Now - if you are the type that isn't sensitive to this stuff and can let a comment here and there just slide, you probably won't notice much. But any tour of these places is going to show where the slaves were chained, auctioned and there are even fully restored plantations so you can see how slaves and their masters lived.

Like it or not it is a BIG part of history in certain areas of the south. Not everywhere.....because much of the land was not fit for slaves to till. But the economy of the South revolved around owning Human Beings - that's what built it...

I'd say the majority of people aren't going to be moved one way or other other by this.

Florida - like Naples, etc. - that's all brand new and there is no history to speak of, so you don't have any ghosts of lynchings past hanging around haunting you.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:38 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
...But any tour of these places is going to show where the slaves were chained, auctioned and there are even fully restored plantations so you can see how slaves and their masters lived.

Like it or not it is a BIG part of history in certain areas of the south. Not everywhere.....because much of the land was not fit for slaves to till. But the economy of the South revolved around owning Human Beings - that's what built it...
As a white guy who was not born in the US, I can’t speak to the slavery-issue per se, but it does seem to me, that the ex-slave-states have a strong tradition of “honor culture”. By this I mean a society where individual and family pride was paramount, and is defended vehemently. The North, loosely speaking, was more of a civic culture, where say material prosperity and career-advancement were more important than chivalric honor. Such cultural postulates today manifest themselves in political terms; political leaning has become a shorthand for them. But again, it’s more about culture, than about politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
...It's very much a "Bubba" and unsophisticated place. ...

I'd rather be in a moderately blue area that had a promising future than way back here in the sticks.
That's a succinct and eloquent way of voicing the fears of those who had remunerative careers in costly/glamorous cities, and then wish to relocated to slower-paced places with lower taxes. Will such transplants land in Bubba-ville? By this I don't necessarily mean sparser public services, for that is inevitable with lower taxes. Rather, the question is, as you note, what sort of rapport one would be able to attain with one's neighbors.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:39 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Why do we assume that conservatives, however miffed by liberal posturing and excess, hold their tongues and successfully separate business from politics, while liberals, when in analogous position, wear their politics on their sleeve, and allow emotional reaction to perceived political effrontery to cloud their judgment?

Let me give an analogy. Suppose that there’s a landscaping or plumbing business, with a symbol of a fish proudly displayed on the rear door of the work-van, with the text, “John 3:16”. We can probably agree, that it would be silly for a potential customer to dismiss the workman arriving in such a van, upon seeing such a sign. Now suppose that instead the sign on the rear door of the van were a hammer and sickle. Our hypothetical customer gets offended, and dismisses the workman. Well, in this particular case, do we again chuckle at the customer’s narrow-mindedness, or do we suddenly agree with him, as having done the right (no pun intended) thing?
I get your point, but c'mon. What is the chance a guy in America that would seriously hang a hammer and sickle sign up would actually have a work van, and arrive to offer a skilled labor service? Lol.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:04 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Worse yet, sometimes the longtime residents ARE these types.

There can be - note - I said "can be" a certain vibe that exists where slavery was EVERYTHING. This includes Savannah, Charleston, etc.

People are nice. But once in awhile something just hits you in the face. Now - if you are the type that isn't sensitive to this stuff and can let a comment here and there just slide, you probably won't notice much. But any tour of these places is going to show where the slaves were chained, auctioned and there are even fully restored plantations so you can see how slaves and their masters lived.

I'd say the majority of people aren't going to be moved one way or other other by this.

Florida - like Naples, etc. - that's all brand new and there is no history to speak of, so you don't have any ghosts of lynchings past hanging around haunting you.
I would hardly consider Savannah or Charleston "the sticks". I don't know why you had to, admittedly in a roundabout way, throw the race card.

Here's your problem, you're an elitist. You move to a rural area and you absolutely have the opinion you're better than every one there.

You'll think that those half dozen old guys drinking coffee at the diner/gas station at 6 AM are vagrants when any two of them can buy or sell you a half dozen times over.

You'll freak out and call whatever agency does law enforcement when you see people carrying " assault rifles" (also known as shotguns) in the field down the road when they're rabbit/quail/pheasant/goose hunting.

You say things like "well back in ________ we did it this way and it's unconscionable the way it's done here". You'll brag about your degrees and money.

You'll complain about tractors, dust, cows, smells, horses, woodsmoke, etc. Then, for good measure, you'll complain about the lack of shopping " experiences".

At some point you'll complain about somebody's brother.

What you won't do is shutup and listen and try to learn the rhythms of the area.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I'm retiring soon and I came onto C-D basically as I was doing my research into the new places I think i may want to retire too.

I am surprised how many folks on various state forms want to move because of a certain person being elected or asking if one area is this way or that.

when my late husband and I were looking for our first house to raise our kids we were looking for good school districts first, ease of public transportation and things like that. we never thought to ask "is Vorhees township" liberal??

I have a good girlfriend who is retiring to ST thomas because she refuses to give her money to a "red" state. WTH???

I've got my top 3 spots I think I may like 1) Naples florida, 2) savannah/Tybee Islan Ga, and Charleston sc.
never did I ask what the political leanings where.

Am I simply out of touch?
No, you're just normal.

Most people that get like this are just extremely partisan and have been fed full of right or left wing propaganda from fringe media.

They think that Chicago is a war zone or that if you're gay or black and try to drive across Alabama you're going to wind up killed by townsfolk somewhere along the way.

Good luck with your move.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:53 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's a succinct and eloquent way of voicing the fears of those who had remunerative careers in costly/glamorous cities, and then wish to relocated to slower-paced places with lower taxes. Will such transplants land in Bubba-ville? By this I don't necessarily mean sparser public services, for that is inevitable with lower taxes. Rather, the question is, as you note, what sort of rapport one would be able to attain with one's neighbors.
This is a challenge many small towns in the South are dealing with.

Some areas, like Tellico Village in Loudon, TN, have transitioned from whatever they were into a sort of retirement enclave, largely populated by moderate to fairly conservative retirees from wealthier areas. Many of these people selected to Tennessee, not only for tax practicality, but for perceived political bent. Other areas, like Kingsport, where I'm from, are struggling to find a new identity with a declining local economy, and a crushing insularity that in some ways makes the area unattractive to newcomers.

I lived in Carmel, IN from 2014-2016. It is always in the "best place to live" lists, having taken the top spot in several of these listings.

Best Place to Live in America - Carmel Indiana Ranked Best Place To Live In United States By Niche

Both areas are heavily Republican, but that's about where the similarities stop. Carmel has a vibrant arts scene. Kingsport really has nothing. Carmel is as clean of a city as you can imagine. We have belching smokestacks and odors wafting about town from a paper mill and a chemical factory. Carmel is creating new, quality jobs at a rapid rate. We've hemorrhaged quality jobs for years. Charter Communications is shuttering a local billing back office and sending those jobs to New York City, Charlotte, and St. Louis.

On virtually any metric, Carmel will excel. We'll struggle on any metric.

I think the best places to live are generally are going to be in affluent, purple to country club red suburbs of mid-major cities in the interior of the country.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:14 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I would hardly consider Savannah or Charleston "the sticks". I don't know why you had to, admittedly in a roundabout way, throw the race card.

Here's your problem, you're an elitist. You move to a rural area and you absolutely have the opinion you're better than every one there.

You'll think that those half dozen old guys drinking coffee at the diner/gas station at 6 AM are vagrants when any two of them can buy or sell you a half dozen times over.

You'll freak out and call whatever agency does law enforcement when you see people carrying " assault rifles" (also known as shotguns) in the field down the road when they're rabbit/quail/pheasant/goose hunting.

You say things like "well back in ________ we did it this way and it's unconscionable the way it's done here". You'll brag about your degrees and money.

You'll complain about tractors, dust, cows, smells, horses, woodsmoke, etc. Then, for good measure, you'll complain about the lack of shopping " experiences".

At some point you'll complain about somebody's brother.

What you won't do is shutup and listen and try to learn the rhythms of the area.
While these are all possibilities - since none of us presumably knows any other one of us personally - it may also be the case, that the newcomer can teach the locals a thing or two, about sighting-in a scope, or milling a stock to properly float a barrel, or that the factory trigger on a Weatherby can be made much smoother just by polishing the sear, without having to drop $200 on a Timney.

Maybe our callow newcomer hasn’t had anyone in his family who’s touched dirt since, oh, 1840… but he just retired from ADM, where he led a team working on insecticide-resistant corn, rising to executive VP for research, holding 2 or 3 million shares of ADM stock. And that gas station where our local stalwarts are holding forth their jovial discourse… well, 25 years ago, our newcomer, as adjunct prof at U of Chicago, had a graduate student from India… whose brother now owns that gas station (thus my own foray into racial stereotypes… how did I do?).

We never know, do we? Maybe that toothless hick who just walked into your gleaming corporate boardroom, just completed a leveraged buyout. He's your new boss. Or, maybe that dapper effeminate fellow in the slightly too tight suit, polished wingtips and paisley cravat, is the developer who just successfully used eminent domain to take 300 acres from you, to build a shopping-mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies