Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Is the Census Bureau referring to metro area or downtown?
I think the statistics were for city proper, but don't quote me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:51 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
The issue in the USA is the right of way. All trackage would have to be elevated. There is none here. In China they just kick the people the fox out of the way. Just clearing room for trackage IN COURT in America would take 25 years.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Is the Census Bureau referring to metro area or downtown?
I don't know, and have no idea what the methodology would be to even define 'downtown' vs. metro area. But I have to believe that for at least medium distances like BOS-DC or LA-SFO I'd much rather be on a comfortable train than showing up an hour or two earlier at the airport, only to be number 20 for take-off and spend another hour on the taxi-ways.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The issue in the USA is the right of way. All trackage would have to be elevated. There is none here. In China they just kick the people the fox out of the way. Just clearing room for trackage IN COURT in America would take 25 years.

Does Eminent Domain take that long? I know it didn't years ago when they took my Grandfather's house on Staten Island to build public housing.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
I think they should spend whatever it takes to build HSR all over the country. Then they can tax the fares at 10%, using the money to develop a (Star Trek type) transporter system that will make it obsolete.

Isn't that typically how the government does things?

Old 11-18-2017, 10:03 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
It still comes down to person priorities. What is more important to an individual, more restaurants or building a motocross course on the back few acres?

Different people place different values on such things.

Typically speaking, I seem to notice downtown urban dwellers see their priorities as "correct" and those of people in the suburb or rural areas as "incorrect ".
LOL all about taste. I have a gun range on my property!!! I also have a small 2 acre pond. I never need to lock my doors and typically don't. I don't have to deal with traffic, pollution, congestion, noise, or crime. The worst thing I have to deal with is forgetting to plug in my electric fence and deer get in my garden. LOL
Power outages I have covered with a standby generator and thats only if my solar storage runs out.
I like eating out on occasion. Meaning once or twice a month. I like target shooting once or twice a week. I like hunting on my own property. I average about 5000 miles a year driving back and forth to work and shopping.
Ill miss my home when I retire in. January. Im moving out of the country in January. My new property is smaller, more manageable. I understand in my old age I will need less and be able to care for less. LOL Im doing something the left hates. Im giving my current property to my son for a dollar.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Sad but true. Everyone wants something, just not in their own back yards.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:05 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL all about tase. I have a gun range on my property!!! I also have a small 2 acre pond. I never need to lock my doors and typically don't. I don't have to deal with traffic, pollution, congestion, noise, or crime. The worst thing I have to deal with is forgetting to plug in my electric fence and deer get in my garden. LOL
Power outages I have covered with a standby generator and thats only if my solar storage runs out.
I like eating out on occasion. Meaning once or twice a month. I like target shooting once or twice a week. I like hunting on my own property. I average about 5000 miles a year driving back and forth to work and shopping.
Ill miss my home when I retire in. January. Im moving out of the country in January. My new property is smaller, more manageable. I understand in my old age I will need less and be able to care for less. LOL Im doing something the left hates. Im giving my current property to my son for a dollar.
You'll be alright as long as you don't need a nursing home in the next five years.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:08 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I am amazed every time I go to NYC. Amazed by how many homes have bars on their windows. Some of the bars are stylish. They all look like a prison to me. I couldn't and wouldn't live anywhere where I felt so threatened to need bars on the windows and multiple deadbolts on my doors.
Rural life for me. I do want high speed trains and I do enjoy visiting cities.
I agree with you on the pure convenience of city life. The sheer variety is amazing. In the town closest to me there are 2 gas stations and a restaurant. The next town has more, but its the same.
Those bars are on the windows of places where small children live. They have a law requiring windows to have safety devices so children cannot fall out of an open window.

There is a Japanese company willing to fund HSR from Houston to Dallas. They have their ducks in a row. The only thing holding the project up is obtaining right of way. As soon as the price goes up to what the landowners want, it will happen. No tax money involved. The tracks will be elevated in towns.

Houston already has a luxury bus from Dallas to Houston to Austin. My kid uses it frequently. Easier than flying.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You'll be alright as long as you don't need a nursing home in the next five years.
I have that covered where Im going. That and I am only 55 and so far in good health.
I do love riding the trains though. You see more than when you fly, experience more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies