Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 06:42 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times

Advertisements

I say happy holidays just to offend snowflakes.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
As a Christian I will acknowledge this to be true. Christmas is a largely secular holiday and it always has been. It’s history also suggests it’s more of a sucessor to saturnalia in Ancient Rome. Also there is evidence that Jesus was born in the spring, not December. Having said that I celebrate it as the birth of Jesus and also celebrate its more secular traditions as well. It is a fun holiday. My biggest beef with the PC police getting involved in Christmas is yielding to them at all. I am tired of thier unwanted intrusion into our culture. It’s Christmas plain and simple, prior to the last 20 years most people of other groups celebrated the secular aspects of it and left the religious part of it to practicing Christians. Most of them respected the majority and were not offended. Why now is it offensive all of a sudden?
There is nothing offensive about you or I celebrating Christmas but we don't need to have it everywhere when not everyone celebrates. You like a nativity scene - put one on your yard but don't get all upset when the Town Hall doesn't put one up.

You like to say Merry Christmas, say it -- but accept graciously when someone says Happy Holidays -- Hope you enjoy your time with your famly or whatever.

A company or an instiution sending out a guideline reminding people that some may not celebrate Christmas and to perhaps take that into consideration when planning the holiday social events is not a war on Christmas.

It just isn't. It isn't PC. It isn't an intrusion.

It just isn't.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:19 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Why now is it offensive all of a sudden?
It isn't and it never has been. It's just seen as a possible trigger for guilty people who fear being labelled intolerant of other religions so they take it upon themselves to make it an issue on behalf of "society". Meanwhile Christmas is celebrated by non-Christian cultures all around the world and here at home, and they're all scratching their heads wondering who these people are who want to ruin their kids Christmas.

We should be thanking them for reminding us to feel ashamed for celebrating a cultural holiday.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:31 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post

There is no war on Christmas. Some will celebrate it, others will not.
I will continue to say "merry christmas" and keep my decorations up. If a leftist gets triggered, then they don't have to listen to me and look at my decorations.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
"War on Christmas" became a hot topic because a bunch of Christians lost their stuff over "Happy Holidays", so...
It actually started with the leftists getting triggered and wanting to take down decorations and whatever because they are offended.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:33 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
My opinion is in the title. Pat Buchanan coined the term for it, "cultural war". There are active elements out there, the vast majority either left or Islamic, who are waging a war to destroy America. And one of the most effective way to accomplish that goal is to destroy American traditions and positive aspects of it's culture.

https://twitter.com/miltimore79/stat...25792360255488
You have to understand that the term "Try Hard" was inspired by Minneapolis and it's institutions they want to be so liberal and be noticed.

That is what makes them pathetic. They aren't that liberal really, they are just trying so hard to be accepted by the liberal community that they get rather ridiculous.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:02 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We are talking about office parties. Not parties in people's homes. In the office. Probably paid for by the office. The office is telling people they can have a party, but not a Christmas party. They cannot CHOOSE to have a Christmas party. Get over it.
"They cannot CHOOSE to have a Christmas party."

The company CHOSE to have the party NOT the employees.

Whybhave a party at this time of year at all.

Why not do it in say August?

It is a CHRISTmas party, get over it.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
I will continue to say "merry christmas" and keep my decorations up. If a leftist gets triggered, then they don't have to listen to me and look at my decorations.
This whole discussion has nothing to do with your personal choices. That's fake news/outrage.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:14 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Charlie Brown was right. Christmas is indeed a bunch of cr*p. The Neo-Nazis in Va. with their tiki torches and Hitler salutes are going to be some sort of Christians for a few hours next week. People who voted for a man who mocks the handicapped are going to be Christians too but only for a little while.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:16 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
So, what's wrong with calling it the Winter Celebration? Celebrate however you do. Don't put down anyone elses version. Respect all and be respected. There are numerous faiths which rever the winter solstice. So does Christianity, as it was coopted date wise from them as Winter Solstice was already celebrated as the new year. And go ahead and have the family for diner and give presents, and gather as family. That is what's important about the winter holiday, whatever version you follow.

Christans can do their thing, and others of other faiths can do theirs but NOBODY can claim it as an 'official' religion.

Maybe people could hold a joint celebration and discover that those not like you are just as 'faithful' as you to your reality. Maybe when you strip away all the people stuff, its all about much the same thing as winter turns toward spring and a new beginning.

Happy Yule, all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies