Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are the 36% of so who still support Trump people who would never vote for a Democrat under any circumstances?
Of course they would. If Trump ran as a Dem, they'd vote for him....twice. They worship the man, not the views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:56 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,827,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Stop posting fake numbers put out by the fake news media. The vast majority of Americans support Trump. Many privately. Just wait till these tax cuts turbo charge the economy
I would disagree. I would say that a majority of people support various aspects of Trumpism but don't support the entire package.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,182,764 times
It would be impossible to vote for a Democrat these days. They have become so radical.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 AM

16,009 posts, read 7,059,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
BS.

I know a fair number of Trump voters. All but one are less satisfied with him. All but one of them want his dumb butt off Twitter. NONE would change their vote. Hillary was just too awful.

Invert the situation and the lowest Hillary could go is a similar number. Its simple party preference.

People look at the AL race all wrong and need to look at it
NOT from the standpoint that Jones won.
FROM the standpoint that AL came within 25000 votes of sending a child molester to the Senate.
That came from Black men and women. There many more of them. The win may always be razor thin but the Dems will win.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can't think of any other way to explain why Trump is still so popular among his base. A lot of people I know who voted for Trump aren't particularly satisfied with everything he's done, they just prefer him on his worst day to a Democrat. They will continue to support Trump like their high school or college football team during a bad season because after all, he is their guy, warts and all. Would you say this is the case among the people who still support Trump? Do you actually think the guy is honest and is doing a good job or do you just think he's better than a liberal?
are those who still support him the same people that would never vote for a democrat? The same question can be asked about those who still support Hillary and want her to run again or think she got screwed. Let me add, just this morning one of our very liberal columnist locally who is a raving lib was talking on a local talk show about, as much as he can't stand to admit it, Trump has done a lot of good things and is not a bad president. So, it is not all the one way. It is the media that will not give it up.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:12 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
I can't think of any other way to explain why Trump is still so popular among his base. A lot of people I know who voted for Trump aren't particularly satisfied with everything he's done, they just prefer him on his worst day to a Democrat. They will continue to support Trump like their high school or college football team during a bad season because after all, he is their guy, warts and all. Would you say this is the case among the people who still support Trump? Do you actually think the guy is honest and is doing a good job or do you just think he's better than a liberal?
You listen to a media that constantly attacks Trump. I'll bet you consider yourself in the know and open minded?

Old 12-20-2017, 04:14 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As a registered Republican who voted for Obama (twice) I think Trump is doing just fine, minus his wild tweets. There isn't one established Democrat I would vote for today. Not to say I wouldn't vote for one in the far future.
I agree. At first, I was on the line, not sure if I would support Trump. My vote was a "he's not Hillary vote". In hindsight I've now changed to I'm glad I voted for him. He's doing a good job, he's done more positive things than the same ole, same ole presidents before him.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:41 PM

13,665 posts, read 9,738,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Some of us Trump supporters on City Data were Democrats. I was a Democrat most of my life. ...
I was a Republican for most of my life. Reagan never appealed to me, but G.H.W Bush (the father) did. Something snapped in the Republican party, around 1994 - with the Gingrich revolution, and all that. Trump completes the morphing of the Republican party from being the party of investors and technocrats, and educated people in general, to the party of populism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Trump was the last hope for American workers. Automation is poised to knock us down one more notch.
Some workers have actually benefited from automation. Scientists, for example, can now do more research, and publish more papers. Or is that not considered to be "real work"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Trump is not liked by Democrat or Republican leaders.

He represents a Third Force in American politics: a "nationalist, populist" force that doesn't fit in with the open borders, multi-culturalist, globalist, interventionist policies of the main political parties.
Quote:
...I would say that a majority of people support various aspects of Trumpism but don't support the entire package.
I would vote for whomever is the anti-Trump, on matters of immigration and "borders", trade, nationalism/populism, culture, international cooperation and overall civility in public life.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:45 PM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I would vote for whomever is the anti-Trump, on matters of immigration and "borders", trade, nationalism/populism, culture, international cooperation and overall civility in public life.
We already tried that with Obama. He was the "cool" President.

But it didn't get this country very far.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:47 PM

1,548 posts, read 914,850 times
I swore off voting for any Democrats or Republicans back in the mid-90s but Mr. Trump forced my hand and I had to vote Republican (for him). First time actually. I always voted Democrat before I realized both parties are crooked as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies