Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 10:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
With a little luck the Republicans can replace Obamacare with something that working families can actually afford, instead of a disaster where premiums rise by 20-50% a year.

The GOP has had 8 years too come up with a better plan. It hasn't happened.

The 13 million or so that will now lose their healthcare insurance after this tax bill is passed. Well, just bad luck for them, the GOP has no plans on how to assist those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I didn't quote...I paraphrased. It's intellectually dishonest of you to demand that I cite the passage in the Constitution that contains the phrase.
No, it’s not intellectual dishonesty at all .... it is your gross misunderstanding of what the constitution actually is. This is PRECISELY your big error. The Constitution is a legal document, with specific language assigning limited powers to the federal government to do specific things. Neither you, nor anyone else has the authority to “paraphrase” into existence additional powers.

Quote:
What the Constitution does have is the Preamble, put in as a summary of why the framework of government was being enacted. Perhaps you've heard of "form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity"...or maybe not...
I’m still searching for that Marxist/Orwellian flavored “provide social order” stuff. To be blunt, the preamble assigns no powers, nor specifies any particular actions to wit such exercise of power has been authorized. What specific power is granted to the government by the language to form a more perfect union? The answer is, NOTHING. What is a Union? What constitutes “more perfect” ... more perfect than what’s? Do you think you could go into court charged with failing to secure the blessings of Liberty? Keep in mind, we’re talking about a LEGAL grant of specific powers. If that point is lost on you, you need to read the Constitution, and pay special attention to the 10th Amendment, which I will “paraphrase” properly for you, which states that any powers not specifically delegated to the government are reserved to the states and the people.

Quote:
Your lack of knowledge regarding the 16th Amendment is apparent. I am eminently grateful to you that you have decided that you "don't have time...to waist futility atttempting to explain".
Given your confusion thus far, I think we need to work on a lot before tackling the Amendments.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The GOP has had 8 years too come up with a better plan. It hasn't happened.

The 13 million or so that will now lose their healthcare insurance after this tax bill is passed. Well, just bad luck for them, the GOP has no plans on how to assist those people.
So you are saying that Obamacare is SO BAD and has priced so many people out of the market that 13 million will not buy it if they aren't punished for not doing so? Guess what? If Obamacare were even a halfway decent program-you wouldn't have to punish people to get them to participate. And you're right-the GOP does have 8 years, or perhaps more, to come up with a better plan. Now that Obama is out of the way it should come around pretty quickly. Remember that it took Dems 2 years to pass that mess. Perhaps they should have read the bill to see what was in it.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:42 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The middle class is getting pittance. My family will get a substantial increase which we don't need. This bill is so unfair to the middle class. It's the Trump supporters who will suffer the most.

While there is an old quote which hastened “never underestimate the stupidity of the public”, who could have ever imagined the day when anyone of sound mind would literally complain about paying less for anything. It has to be a form of psychosis

For those unfortunately afflicted, I’m sure the US Treasury Department would be happy to accept any additional donations your family would like to make.

That applies to all of the mental patients here complaining about having their taxes reduced. Feel free to send your portion back.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:51 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
While there is an old quote which hastened “never underestimate the stupidity of the public”, who could have ever imagined the day when anyone of sound mind would literally complain about paying less for anything. It has to be a form of psychosis

For those unfortunately afflicted, I’m sure the US Treasury Department would be happy to accept any additional donations your family would like to make.

That applies to all of the mental patients here complaining about having their taxes reduced. Feel free to send your portion back.
Unfortunately, I'm not a millionaire, otherwise I would. No one needs that kind of money

Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 AM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Most middle class Americans will save BIGLY.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm tired of hearing the same old thing from politicians, year after year... "Oh, you'll be able to keep more of YOUR hard earned money, so that you can spend it however you wish"... then, when all is said and done, the amount I save from tax cuts is trivial.

I want REAL, substantial tax savings that I can actually use, OR I want to see some no kidding services in return for our tax dollars (i.e. better, cheaper healthcare for everyone, not just poor people, better infrastructure, better schools, stronger military etc.)
I liked what you said until you said a stronger military. How much stronger do you want it, a tank at the corner of every street all across the world?

Old 12-21-2017, 04:04 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Health insurance will also be much higher as a result of abolishing the mandate so freeloaders can jack up the healthcare costs for everyone.

Penalties for being too poor to afford a worthless health insurance policy and/or ineligible for Medicaid because you work for a living were paid into the general fund and pissed away on whatever Congress felt like pissing money away on at the moment.

Freeloaders are people that don't have $5,000 / year to spend on a healthcare policy that comes with a $6,000 deductible.

The Affordable Care Act did diddly squat to control healthcare costs, it wasn't supposed to.

What it was supposed to do is crash and burn leaving insurance companies bankrupt, hospitals devastated, countless millions suddenly uninsured and a nation in full panic mode demanding single-payer.

That didn't happen.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Half true.

Tax Study: 80% Will Get A Tax Cut for 8 years.

Still trying to figure out that if the stated rate is 35% but the effective rate is 15% they couldn't redo the rate to 21% and cut enough of the breaks to make it revenue neutral or close to it.

Because that wouldn't please their corporate owners.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Penalties for being too poor to afford a worthless health insurance policy and/or ineligible for Medicaid because you work for a living were paid into the general fund and pissed away on whatever Congress felt like pissing money away on at the moment.

Freeloaders are people that don't have $5,000 / year to spend on a healthcare policy that comes with a $6,000 deductible.

The Affordable Care Act did diddly squat to control healthcare costs, it wasn't supposed to.

What it was supposed to do is crash and burn leaving insurance companies bankrupt, hospitals devastated, countless millions suddenly uninsured and a nation in full panic mode demanding single-payer.

That didn't happen.
I was discussing my Coverage yesterday with my Insurance guy. I pay $1080 a month and he said that was cheap nowadays. It costs most people much more than this for a crappy HMO policy.

Reality is it costs an Individual more like $12-15,000 a year and a family $15-20,000 for an insurance policy here in TX.

I wish it was only $5000. No working person can afford these prices for an insurance policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies