Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:38 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Gee, twenty-four pages of adults arguing about Santa Claus.

Must be a slow week on the CD Politics & Other Controversies Forum....
and here you are to prove you are better !

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:41 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and here you are to prove you are better !

LOL

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Lilyflower, and best wishes for the coming year!

Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Merry Christmas to you and your family, Lilyflower, and best wishes for the coming year!
Same to you. lol

Old 12-22-2017, 01:47 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

You're telling me that believing in Santa is better than knowing you have loving parents providing presents and cheer to you at Christmas?

you are taking it way too seriouisly. it is a fun time for young children to have a little fantasy a little make believe a little fun while they are young. kids grow up fast enough that they are not believing in santa at a still very young age. it's not like parents are forcing their 14 year olds to continue to believe and believe for the rest of their lives, or else!

it is a young childhood fun time. it's not meant to be a lifetime belief. you have the rest of your life to then know that you have "loving parents providing presents and cheer to you at christmas". and even after you find out the truth about santa, you can know that your parents did the santa thing out of love and for fun and good memories. not some sort of malicious intent.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Not the teacher's job. Stop this social engineering and start teaching kids how to read, do math, learn history and science.
So intentionally lying and misleading children is not social engineering but instead teaching them facts is? /boggle

Old 12-22-2017, 08:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Great opportunity to talk about the science of flying.

Not, "Um, NO. OBVIOUSLY, reindeer can't fly. That whole thing is fake!"
So just ignore the question?

Quote:
research has shown that the more kids learn about the workings of the physical world, the more quickly the myth begins to break down. Santa, after all, violates pretty much everything we know about time and space; eventually, kids start to question how a chubby man can squeeze through so many narrow chimneys without getting stuck, how he stays airborne on a rickety wooden sleigh loaded up with so many gifts, and how he can visit every single house in the world in the span of a single evening (to get the job done, he’d have to travel more than six million miles per hour).
What Makes Kids Stop Believing in Santa?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
LOL at me being dramatic...

Look at your responses!

Hilarious.

Fact of the matter, if you are really this worried about kids learning about Santa, you should probably not put your kids in public school. There are plenty of options out there for shielding your children from the realities of the real world - the best of which being home schooling.

LOL - see above. Who is being "dramatic" again?

Then why the fuss?

Good for you. I never said anyone should tell your child about any of that.

However, you should remember that when your child is in the real world (which is school), he/she will likely hear and learn things that maybe you weren't "ready" to tell him/her about. It is a fact of life.

It changes exactly 0 of what I wrote above (and in other threads).

Santa? How would a fake person be "bad" or "good" to me?

I come from a very loving family, however. I am thankful for it every single day, actually. When I recieved a present, I knew it came from my parents, and I was able to thank them properly (I'm still thanking them to this day for everything they did for me).

No, I did not thank a make-believe person - having a loving set of parents was FAR (farrrrr) greater than a silly fairytale of a fat man in a red suit squeezing his butt through our chimney

I wouldn't trade my loving set of parents for a single moment of believing in some commercialized nonsense.
My kids have never stepped one foot in a public school.

The point is that no one has the right to tell a child that Santa isn't real, other than the child's parents.

Doesn't give you, or any other adult, the right to ruin it for little kids who believe.

No one cares that you don't like "fat-fake-made-up" anything. Again; doesn't give you, or any other adult, the right to ruin it for little kids who believe.

What do you not understand?

Pretty sure I mentioned how I have circumvented the "real world" telling my kids that Santa wasn't real. Did you miss that, too?

It has nothing to do with what you do or don't believe in, how you will raise the kids you don't have, how you were raised, or how you treat your parents.

Why would you think it does?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:34 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So just ignore the question?

What Makes Kids Stop Believing in Santa?
Did you miss this?

Quote:

Old 12-22-2017, 11:55 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
My kids have never stepped one foot in a public school.

The point is that no one has the right to tell a child that Santa isn't real, other than the child's parents.

Doesn't give you, or any other adult, the right to ruin it for little kids who believe.

No one cares that you don't like "fat-fake-made-up" anything. Again; doesn't give you, or any other adult, the right to ruin it for little kids who believe.

What do you not understand?

Pretty sure I mentioned how I have circumvented the "real world" telling my kids that Santa wasn't real. Did you miss that, too?

It has nothing to do with what you do or don't believe in, how you will raise the kids you don't have, how you were raised, or how you treat your parents.

Why would you think it does?
What exactly denies me the right to tell the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
So intentionally lying and misleading children is not social engineering but instead teaching them facts is? /boggle
Amazing, isn't it?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:02 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
If a third grader still believes that a fat man squeezes down a chimney that the kid's home might not even have, the kid is gullible enough to be lied to again by his or her parents and still buy the fairy tale so who cares.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-23-2017 at 12:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies