Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 02:26 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
This is SO false; not even worth discussing if you think this. You aren't "entitled to your own facts." -Moynihan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 02:31 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I don't agree with shutdowns at all. But apparently, the way we are governing these days leaves whatever party feeling like it's the only leverage they have.

The immigration issue is very nuanced and my views on it are evolving; however, in the case of DACA, I feel that it has become a humanitarian issue. I don't agree with how they got here, how long it's been allowed to continue, and so on. But I think it is cruel and inhumane to ship people back to a country they've never known and expect them to survive. They didn't ask to be brought here, and yes, their parents did this to them, but it does pull at my humanity heartstrings to think that in a blink of any eye they can be taken from the only home they've known, be transported to wherever, and dropped at the door. I strongly feel it is inhumane.

The Democrats may feel that their constituency feels the same way. I don't know. Don't know what the numbers are. I guess we'll find out over the next few months if it was the right or wrong thing to do.

Totally agree!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
Do you know how ludicrous the words, Jeff Sessions is in charge, sounds? Final answer.......ludicrous, eyeroll
Jeff Sessions didn't issue the DOJ report on illegal aliens in Federal prisons.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Im not buying it. Here's what we know, as facts:

DOJ releases data on incarceration rates of illegal immigrants | TheHill

22% of federal prison inmates are illegal aliens, including DACAs, like the ones who've been in the news recently for committing various heinous crimes.
You are lying.

The article you linked doesn't mention anything about DACA. They would loose their eligibility if they were incarcerated and rightfully should be deported. You cannot be a felon or a history of repeated misdemeanors and be immediately qualified for as a DACA recipient.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It doesn't make your statement correct, either.
Logical fallacy.

You indicated that immigrant parents mean ties to native country. I showed you one example (myself) that shows otherwise. I did not claim or imply that the opposite isn't true....

A implies B

doesn't necessarily mean

B implies A

Its really simple.

There is at least one, myself, (and most likely many more) that have little to no ties to my native country of blood origin. So yes... what I am saying is factually accurate. I am not saying that there doesn't exist immigrant children that DO have ties.... not only did I not make that claim... its simply asinine.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You are lying.

The article you linked doesn't mention anything about DACA. They would loose their eligibility if they were incarcerated and rightfully should be deported. You cannot be a felon or a history of repeated misdemeanors and be immediately qualified for as a DACA recipient.
DACA people are illegal aliens. So when we do statistics on illegals, DACA people have to be included.

It’s disingenuous to not included them.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
DACA people are illegal aliens. So when we do statistics on illegals, DACA people have to be included.

I wasn't being disingenuous....

The article linked is statistics of prison population not the general illegals in the US. If you are convicted and incarcerated, you are no longer considered a DACA recipient. I believe they should be immediately treated just like any other illegal... deported after serving punishment.

We should be deporting any illegal that commits a crime.

As I said earlier, there a lot citizens (repeat criminals) that I would rather see removed from the US for being a problem and burden to society before DACA recipients are deported. The stats for DACA recipients indicate a H.S. education attainment (or military service) and no felony nor repeat misdemeanors. They have a 90-93% employment rate with the rest being in school. 17% of them are college graduates. Many of these DACA recipients are far more valuable than some of the losers we have in this country (including repeat criminals). Being a citizen doesn't change the fact they are losers.

I think illegal immigration should be dealt with by securing the borders and then holding employers accountable for providing the opportunities that attract them. However, I do also believe that this is not a black and white situation.... DACA is one group that needs special consideration. For the most part, they are not criminals, educated, some college educated, some military, employed, and were brought here against their volition. Trump implied that countries send us their worst immigrants.... well... my POTUS. Here is a group of decent people who we want... some better than our own citizens.

Last edited by usayit; 01-21-2018 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:

They are not illegal aliens. They are legal aliens as long as their deferment continues. And they are allowed to work legally in the US.

The issue is that the Right wishes to turn them into illegal aliens.

There status is no different then a permanent resident alien.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:30 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I wasn't being disingenuous....

The article linked is statistics of prison population not the general illegals in the US. If you are convicted and incarcerated, you are no longer considered a DACA recipient. I believe they should be immediately treated just like any other illegal... deported after serving punishment.

We should be deporting any illegal that commits a crime.
Being an illegal is already a crime.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Being an illegal is already a crime.
No it is not. Makes you liable to be deported but it is an administrative non criminal statute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies