Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 12:06 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well,

After all the investment and money went into their education,upbringing etc, I believe Congress should come up with a legal mechanism for these to go through a legal process to become a citizen or a legal resident.

Immigration laws have to be passed by Congress, not written by executive order unless no one cares if they are changed and new orders given with each succeeding President. That’s what happens in a banana republic.

Don't be thinking most Trump voters are some heartless morons. we know the reality.

Let’s see if the moderates on both sides can come up with a bipartisan plan that addresses most Americans’ concerns by legalizing the status of many in America who have been staying and working illegally for years while also addressing border security and adopting some of the better aspects of the Canadian and Australian immigration systems.

Regarding your pink bold, No, not buying it.

Rescinding the DACA program will cause devastating harm to all currently protected by the program, but will not have a significant economic impact. Our economy is fiercely resilient as well as broad enough to weather the gradual loss of a combination of 800,000 students and early stage employees. Shrouding the discussion of DACA reversal as an economic rather than a human issue does great disservice to those affected.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/daca...0-billion.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Do you actually care for our military? How many times are you on here outraged that outside most any base or post you will find homeless, downtrodden American veterans? Do you rant and rave that our own citizens, who volunteered to serve this country can’t get decent medical coverage, suffer from mental health issues, and are begging in the streets?

It is very personally offensive to me when bleeding heart liberals use the military to advance their narrative on law breakers.
I care very much for our veterans which is why I support politicians and legislation that help them. Yes, I "rant and rave" about the poor treatment of our veterans quite often.

Its personally offensive to me when people assume that I, as a liberal, could not possibly care about our vets. I care so much about our military that I think it is a sin that our government uses them as pawns on a chess board, sending them overseas for BS missions.

Do you?

Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Dreamers that protest and are obnoxious should realize that the group of legal aliens is a quiet group of people who went through many hardships and did things the right way.

Many so called Dreamers/DACA illegals and their family member could have sneaked back over the border and applied legally and nobody would have known they had been here illegally as many use false SSN's.

It doesn't sound too smart.

E2 visa holders are business owners who employ Americans and have NO path to a green card. To me that group deserves a green card and path to citizenship first!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times
Sorry mate. When I wanted to immigrate to Australia, I had a strict set of rules to follow- screw up and I'm on a plane to LAX. Immigration is a process of red tape and sucks. But just granting amnesty to all those that had more than ample time to at least begin the process, is a slap in the face to those that chose to do things the right way. You all who love them oh SO much, YOU pay for ALL their expenses. I'm sure not ALL Schemers, I mean Dreamers, are independent of taxpayer help.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
well, I am not going to dispute this because you obviously believe it.

However, Rescinding the DACA program will cause devastating harm to all currently protected by the program, but will not have a significant economic impact. Our economy is fiercely resilient as well as broad enough to weather the gradual loss of a combination of 800,000 students and early stage employees. Shrouding the discussion of DACA reversal as an economic rather than a human issue does great disservice to those affected.

which I have already posted. In another word, America will survive without them. This issue is a human issue, not an economic one.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:30 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Does anyone else wonder why out of the estimated 1.8 million Dreamers, only 800,000 applied for DACA? Could it be that the majority want to stay under the radar and have no interest in becoming legal? Are they trying to avoid paying taxes or maybe have a criminal record?
Secondly, what makes anyone think that now, 1.8 million will apply to be legal and eventually become citizens when they've shown no interest in doing so in the past under Obama's program?

Old 01-28-2018, 02:44 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
DACA recipients care about others. Not a concept familiar to the alt-right alt-white trumpers.
DACA only care about themselves, relatives and coethnics and couldn't care less about Americans and America.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:22 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Liberals have no credible moral foundation for their argument when that supposed moral foundation directly benefits them with votes. No sale.

As an aside, using appeals to empathy for political purposes always has, and will always continue to lessen your credibility in general. Not only does it come off as manipulative for purposes of self interest, and not only does it lessen the impact of such appeals when they actually need to be used for non-politicized assistance, but it makes it seems like you don't have a sound argument.

There is a morality to this nation's structure and laws that protect the labor pool and the political economy of the citizenry. You want us to flout that for a non-citizen population who came here illegally. You use cheap appeals to empathy to found your argument (wrapped in barbed-wire insults, which are a hallmark to every liberal argument even when it is supposedly trying to persuade).

Nothing about your argument for DACA people seems less than self-interested and manipulative. Nothing about your appeal to self-interested morality is credible.
Exactly. Let's take full citizenship and voting rights off the table, then let's see how much liberals want illegals and immigration.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

What if that money was better spent on technology to monitor the border 24/7 instead? We have satellites that can see the whole border vs a partial wall that will drive people farther into the desert to get around or will go to the other many vulnerable places to circumvent the wall. There are also 48 places to legally cross the border from Mexico into the U.S. This is where we are more vulnerable. People enter with visa's and never leave. Do we spend that money on a wall or do we hire more people to crack down on that abuse. It will catch more people from all countries vs a few thousand stopped by a wall. People who smuggler illegals over the border in boats to cross the Rio Grand will still profit if there is a wall, so will those that smuggle people in by the truck load. Hire more people to check each and every truck entering.

I'm in favor of border security, but lets address the whole issue, and work smarter while doing so.
Because as we have seen when a liberal Democrat gets into office, they can choose not to enforce certain laws they do not agree with. So they can order the drones to be turned off (or not responded to) and Border patrol to be issuing meals and cots instead of enforcing our laws (just like Obama & Co did).

But they are not going to be able to tear down the wall on a whim or their own ideological beliefs. Had a wall been built years ago when it was funded, we would have fewer problems and illegals than we do today. Nothing is 100%, but the reduced illegals (including OTM's) and reduced drugs alone would have been worth it.
So today, we have the political momentum to get this done, and frankly, I do think Trump will find a way to get Mexico to pay for the wall, whether it be tariffs, or the like. It is just smart not to wait until we get funds in whatever way can be figured out before starting the wall project.

`

Old 01-28-2018, 08:57 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,575,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
That can be eliminated once the dems are back in power.

Go ahead and hold your breath until that happens. The Dems have to return from the Stone Age, where Trump has put them. They also have to convince America they are not Communists and didn't try to fix the elections using Stalin's tactics, of taking over the Media, the Law enforcement Agencies, and using abd supporting thug groups (ANTIFA) to stifle dissent and free speech by violence and intimidation, . Pretty tall order, since they did do all that under Obama. Right out of Stalin's handbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies