Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:41 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I went to college and THEN went into the military. So what the hell are you talking about?
so then you '''should/could''' have possibly been an officer...and you would think that you would keep your military bearing and have more respect for the military...but since you always bash the military...It makes me wonder... you sound like a disgruntled employee ... did you get kicked out??? don't see many (if any at all) former military bashing the military as much as you unless they were chaptered out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 07:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
After handing well north of a trillion dollars to the big corporations and banks, why not.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:52 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Sorry, we already gave all our tax dollars to illegal immigrants.

Nothing left for Americans. Including jobs.
Really? I thought our bloated military ate it.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:55 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
??? your entire rant comes down to the student loans hurt the QOL of the student... well yeah

but what does that have to do with the economy? if they didn't have to pay on the loan, they would spend/invest the same amount elsewhere... them not paying on the loan does not mean there is more money in the economy, it means it is spent elsewhere

lets say they had no student loan, and bought a house instead... the mortgage payments go to the same bank as the student loan would have if they were paying on that. What difference is it to the economy when the money is still going to the same bank? Only difference is that the borrower ends up with a house instead of a degree if he borrowed for a house instead of college
The ones I know tell me if they didn't have the student debt they would buy automobiles and houses. Seems like that would be a direct boost to the economy.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If a kid wants a decent education from a state university he should have the option to do 2 years of military service in exchange for 4 years of tuition and room and board.
Yes, so we can stick our nose in even more places where it doesn’t belong.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:01 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
hmmm... so what you are saying is that when someone SIGNS A CONTRACT for a debt.. a contract they AGREED to repay (after all they are getting money, to pay for THEIR education), that they should just renege and have the government (which guarantees these loans) just wave some magic wand, and say "all if forgiven" have fun with your free money....which btw then sets a precedent and then everyone will be looking for free money they don't have to repay...and if higher education does become "free" it then diminishes the value of said degrees

why do liberals always push for mediocracy
Your comprehension of what you quote is nil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
You must not have been anywhere near a university in a very long time. The university near me is building luxury dorms at a frantic pace. I could go on and on about all of that. There is a disconnect between what is needed for a quality education and what is keeping up with the Jones's.

There are a lot of wealthy parents using student loans to get their kids through college who don't even slightly deserve student loan welfare.

On top of that the left scoffs at spending a few billion on a wall. And suddenly talks about fiscal responsibility. Who is paying off all the student loans if its not the students after they get out of school?
Vast majority of dorms I've visited are in old, out dated buildings. San Francisco to Maine. Never seen anything that would qualify as "luxury"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The ones I know tell me if they didn't have the student debt they would buy automobiles and houses. Seems like that would be a direct boost to the economy.
Exactly. We've replaced their first purchases of houses, cars, etc that actually benefit the economy with inflated education costs due to the government guaranteeing it and the difficulty with getting rid of the debt in bankruptcy. Take away those two things, and the cost of education would come way down.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:03 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Let

What caused them to write the article was a long-economic report on cancelling student debt from an extremely expensive liberal arts university in New York.

http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/rpr_2_6.pdf

Supposedly, if the federal government just canceled the $1.4 trillion in outstanding debt that cause GDP to rise, unemployment to go down hundreds of thousands of new jobs yearly.

I think it is odd how many these students spent nearly a decade running up bills going to a four-year and university and graduate school, while enjoying luxury dorms and chef-prepared expensive meals plus took out lots of loans for living expenses for many years and now they want it canceled because they can't the home of their dreams or they can't afford every new top of the line phone or electric car that comes out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Democrats jump on that bandwagon for votes, especially because it might increase voter participation rates for one of their choice demographics that tends to vote for them by wide margins.
Seriously Can you please tell me more about these luxury dorms and chef prepared meals.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:17 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Sure why not?

While you're at it, cancel my mortgage.

My car payments.

My credit card debt.

I don't ask for me......it's for the good of the economy.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
You are wrong about so many things. I overheard another student in one of my engineering classes talking about his meal plan. He had budgeted his meals to one or two meals per day. He could not afford more meals per day, despite working part time. He was hungry in class too and he was talking with another student and worried about what he was going to eat for diner since he had to spread out his meals. It just so happen that on that day, the professor gave us all free pizza as parting gift for having completed the course. He got very happy. Many students are in a similar situation, but don't talk about it. Not all the students are living the good life. Some are barely scrapping a living while attending a University. The grads students are in a similar situation. I knew all the grads and post docs in my research professor team. Only one of the grads had a vehicle, the rest used a bicycle to school.
What college is this?

Why would anyone attend a college where they can't afford a meal plan that allows them to eat more than once or maybe twice a day?

Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
What are you going to do with all the electricians, pipelayers, and operating engineers that are already doing these jobs? Do we get to go to college then?

The kids can help the construction workers.

Shovels are relatively inexpensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies