Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:26 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Can you name a single thing that has been prohibited in this country which can't be obtained with relative ease?
While not 100% illegal these items are tightly controlled and therefore almost impossible to get a hold of on any black market.

Hand grenades
DEA Listed Chemicals
Nuclear Material
Most Explosives
Heavy Military Weapons
Attack Helicopters and Military Aircraft

Notice how these items are tightly controlled and therefore almost never used in any kind of spree killing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:29 PM

163 posts, read 138,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Yet it is common in the US to put children as young as 6 on mind altering medications, without ever trying a more benign solution first.
How do you know these parents didn't explore other avenues that didn't work?

Old 02-16-2018, 02:36 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
As someone who is healthy due to properly-prescribed medication, I'm thrilled we live in a world where disease doesn't automatically mean disability or death.
No one's saying get rid of all drugs! But just about any child can go to the doctor and get diagnosed as being some kind of mental condition, and prescribed the drugs to "treat" it! There is basically no normal now. Any normal behaviors must be quashed by the "experts" who have some kind of Norman Rockwell-esque ideal of how a child is supposed to act.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So we really still don't know if/what he was on. The article has a lot of vague notions of him being medicated. An "in law" of the family "thinks" he was on something and the Washington Post says he went to a mental health facility. I think it's too early too tell.

Additionally, based on the facts that his last remaining parent died in November and was staying with either friends or family, it's very likely he may have stopped taking whatever he might have been on when his mother was parenting him.

Not a drug defender here...but there just really are not enough facts out there yet to know what set him off.
He was on something and it's tragic these lost souls are just that, lost in this world. So they are drugged with whatever...thankfully my grandkids still have their mother as their father died a few yrs ago. She works so hard at keeping them on the straight and narrow as she's seen addiction and medication overuse in her life and working to save her children, who are young adults.

With such a huge population as we have here in the U.S., it's a horrific major tough job.

Right now we are in a major job here working to relocate thousands of homeless to "clean up" their filth and disease from their encampments. Sickening.

And yet more money for defense...grrrrrrrrrrr

And billions for a wall. another grrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 02-16-2018, 02:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No one's saying get rid of all drugs! But just about any child can go to the doctor and get diagnosed as being some kind of mental condition, and prescribed the drugs to "treat" it! There is basically no normal now. Any normal behaviors must be quashed by the "experts" who have some kind of Norman Rockwell-esque ideal of how a child is supposed to act.
Who are we talking about here? Has your child been diagnosed with a condition in the absence of your input and administered psychiatric drugs without your approval?

Old 02-16-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yep, there is a whole other world of New Age quacks who think they can heal you with whale teeth and elephant hair.

Yes, Big Pharma is evil and many doctors are corrupt. But that doesn’t mean that consecrated Bison skin will cure cancer.
I've been doing my own Quack healing for over 25 yrs and I'm headed to 80 this year and very very few meds...

A major generation before us did not have all these toxic drugs thrown down their throats.

Thank goodness for OPTIONS and CHOICES.

Keep an open mind, many great herbs and foods have been healing for generations.

A closed mind is just that CLOSED. MD's love closed minds.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-16-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 02:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been doing my own Quack healing for over 25 yrs and I'm headed to 80 this year and very very few meds...

A major generation before us did not have all these toxic drugs thrown down their throats.

Thank goodness for OPTIONS and CHOICES.
You always have options and choices regarding your health care, whether that's to take medication for a diagnosed condition or forgo treatment completely. Also, please stop throwing out your longevity as evidence that drugs are evil. They are not. They are a tool for controlling disease, one that you retain the power to consume or not, as the case may be.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:51 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Fever is a symptom with many causes. The treatment for strep throat won't work for appendicitis.

I wonder if we will eventually find that what we call 'ADD' also has many different causes and that one single treatment won't work in every case. Sadly, we may be causing some cases by food additives or chemicals in the home.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And then what? Hire 200 people to stare at cameras all day? Even then, the guy still would have killed the same amount of people.
You don't need 1,500 cameras. Depending on the building layout, maybe a dozen well-placed cameras, and it only takes one person to monitor them.

The person monitoring the cameras could have detected Cruz, immediately ordered a lock-down and notified police.

The outcome would have been different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Armed is a broad term that we have already shown can and should be limited by the government. We don't allow militias to have nuclear weapons, missles, etc. All "arms" and all not allowed to be owned by private citizens.
The term "to bear arms" refers to personal weapons, not crew-served weapons or weapons platforms, so you can dispense with the exaggerated hyperbole.

The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to prevent tyranny, and that requires at least a chance to defeat tyranny. The banning of assault rifles makes the 2nd Amendment moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Meanwhile SCOTUS has said driving is a right even if it is not a constitutional one. And the government can also still regulate it. "The right of a citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon in the ordinary course of life and business is a common right which he has under his right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property, and to pursue happiness and safety. It includes the right in so doing to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day; and under the existing modes of travel includes the right to drive a horse-drawn carriage or wagon thereon, or to operate an automobile thereon, for the usual and ordinary purposes of life and business. It is not a mere privilege."
The US Supreme Court never said that.

You are quoting Thompson v Smith 155 VA 367 (1930), which is not the US Supreme Court.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You always have options and choices regarding your health care, whether that's to take medication for a diagnosed condition or forgo treatment completely. Also, please stop throwing out your longevity as evidence that drugs are evil. They are not. They are a tool for controlling disease, one that you retain the power to consume or not, as the case may be.
I can throw out what I choose. Thanks. BTW: I'm proud of how far I've come with very very few drugs. Have taken some and can talk about the ER trip of one from it's side effects...I have stories.

I've seen plenty of drugged up people propped up in rehabs and being pushed in wheel chairs. You think these people used "alternatives", I don't think so.

Drugs are toxic...if they were NOT, there would be none of the side effects that come with them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies