Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:03 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,301,129 times

Advertisements

It appears even some conservatives are getting fed up with it all.

Trump-Friendly NY Post Asks President To Act On Gun Control | 105.9 FM and AM 630
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,923,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I never said 'arming' in this discussion. What I said was using the 'tools' available - books, shoes, chairs (anything that can be thrown and would cause your attacker to duck or drop their weapon.

So how are you going to dispel fear; teach our kids to pull their coats over their heads so they cannot see? Perhaps they can cover their ears? This is not working is all I am saying and we can do a better job. If our kids believe they have a chance; that is how to dispel fear.

Considering how this animal acted at his arraignment; it would not have surprised me if he would not have dropped his weapon and ran if he was smacked in the head with a book!
Quote:
It probably surprised them that they were shot; maybe they never saw it coming? However, if you are in school and you see a classmate assembling a long gun or unwrapping the weapon; would you stand there and watch?

Supposedly the shooter started shooting in the hall. There were probably kids on all sides of him. He could not cover all sides at the same time - so you explore the weakness in his defense. If he is entering a classroom, especially with a long gun, there is a split second to grab the gun barrel or hit him hard - it is all about weaknesses and vulnerabilities. That is why these animals choose schools (they think they are safe).

The San Diego shooting had law enforcement training for such an even not too far from the scene and the shooters still managed to flee (although they were killed later on). You cannot be passive; you have to take your safety in your own hands and exploit any means to strike back.
Lol, wow; are you being serious?

How many life and death, or even near, have you been involved in? Have you ever been shot at or shot at someone? How about just a simple can of mace sprayed at you surprisingly? Ever have someone pull a knife on you? What is your experience with the subjects you just posted above?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:06 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,923,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
It appears even some conservatives are getting fed up with it all.

Trump-Friendly NY Post Asks President To Act On Gun Control | 105.9 FM and AM 630
Many are; I do not think there are many people who will advocate that people with mental issues or intent of harming people should have access to firearms.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:16 AM
SFX

1,655 posts, read 922,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wow, CNN reporting that the second report they had yesterday was a call with lots of details that they dropped the ball on. No follow up, nothing. Basically admission that they F'd up...BIG.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-says-...173132600.html

FBI says a person contacted agency with concerns about suspected Florida school shooter, but it failed to investigate
Obviously fake news, If the FBI failed to take steps to protect our children, the news has to be fake.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:21 AM

29,655 posts, read 9,860,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The new normal for some...should not restrict the rights of law abiding Americans. Something in the water, in the air possible. I suspect what liberals have done to the families, women going to work before their children are ready to be on their own. Fathers attacked and weakened by Hollywood, the media and social media. Calling the man the head of the household will get you destroyed in this society.

And then we wonder why these mass shooting are becoming more and more prevalent and accepted. Yes, accepted.

I bet next week no one is talking about this one anymore. That is acceptance.
When we're still debating the right or wrong of calling the man "the head of the household," somehow tying the likes to mass shootings, I've really got to wonder. Better yet, maybe best to just move on to the other comments...

Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How many times are you going to repost and why?
Maybe for people who haven't seen the information before? Like me?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Perfect analogy.......not flawed. I do not profess to have the answer except that I believe we need to make an effort to teach our children better than we have. Respect for others, respect for life.
Those who agree with you are already doing what they can. Then there are all the kids with crappy parents, no parents, and usually we find the problem is with kids who have mental problems and/or parental problems. All to say I really don't think this idea about better teaching our children makes all that much sense, unless we're talking about better teaching respect, civility and peace in schools. Maybe that's it...

I'm not sure teaching our kids how to use weapons against kids using weapons should be part of that education however. No thank you!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:36 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,992,447 times
So the FBI was advised in January that this kid was a threat and was planning a attack on a school yet, once again, they did not follow procedure. Don't worry though, they spoke with the parents and apologized. But we are still told the way to protect ourselves is to "say something". Seems the FBI drops the ball and does not follow procedure a lot when it comes to these kind of tips.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Call it what it is... !!! "An Evil Killer", who lurked among society, shielded by his skin color, when many saw for years the evil of his ways and acts. When you become able to face that truth among you, of those of white skin who are evil.... Only then, .... will you began to find a path way to eradicate this madness.
Wow..., not sure what to make of all you included in your comment (only a short excerpt quoted above), but this about "what to call it" reminds me of how important some seemed to think it was to call terrorists "Islamic terrorists."

Doesn't matter what you call it! Regardless the rhetoric, the adjectives, a terrorist is a terrorist, madness is madness, and evil, mad, sick violent nut bags come in all shapes, sizes, colors, religions and ages. Be nice if we could keep them from having a gun too, but not if they can help it...

Old 02-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
It probably surprised them that they were shot; maybe they never saw it coming? However, if you are in school and you see a classmate assembling a long gun or unwrapping the weapon; would you stand there and watch?

Supposedly the shooter started shooting in the hall. There were probably kids on all sides of him. He could not cover all sides at the same time - so you explore the weakness in his defense. If he is entering a classroom, especially with a long gun, there is a split second to grab the gun barrel or hit him hard - it is all about weaknesses and vulnerabilities. That is why these animals choose schools (they think they are safe).

The San Diego shooting had law enforcement training for such an even not too far from the scene and the shooters still managed to flee (although they were killed later on). You cannot be passive; you have to take your safety in your own hands and exploit any means to strike back.
The odds that anyone is going to be in the sort of position you describe are extremely remote, but of course we'd all like to think we'd do what we could to defend or fight back against crazies like this.

On the other hand, it's really more likely that taking cover is about all anyone in a case like this can do in the short time before you also hope it's all over, that and maybe try to protect those around you. I have friends, for example, who were at the Route 99 concert shooting. No one had much chance to figure out what was happening let alone how to fight back.

These crazies are like sick wild animals who can act in highly unpredictable ways that may or may not include concern for their own life, but they sure can find a way to kill a good many people before anyone has a chance to do anything about it, from up close or from a good distance.

I find these comments about how to defend and fight back a little long on fantasy given the experience of most of these innocents who have survived (or not) these acts of terrorism, though I understand all the various reactions. The frustration of being "sitting ducks," especially when it comes to our children, breeds all manner of reaction that we all only WISH could somehow make a difference, before we're reading about the next one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies