Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 07:34 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The majority of those here without proper documents are those overstaying their visas.

Why don't we start there?

Pass legislation with consequences for employers who hire those without the proper visas or proof of citizenship.

Track down those we have no record of leaving the country.

Lots we could do to get this under better control while we are waiting for Mexico to pony up the money for the wall.
The biggest question is tracked them down how? One port of entry may not even be close to where they are currently. It’s a big country into hunt them down wouldn’t be so easy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:01 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
The biggest question is tracked them down how? One port of entry may not even be close to where they are currently. It’s a big country into hunt them down wouldn’t be so easy
Over the years, we've had to fill out pages of paperwork to sponsor various people coming over to visit on a visa. Could start there.

Our children have made friends while studying abroad. These friends have come over to visit for graduations, weddings, and such. I often wondered if they never went home, would someone contact us.

One host couple acted mighty odd when they got here. They said they wanted to fly to the West Coast to visit relatives and would give us cash to buy the tickets. I suggested we go to the airport where they could purchase the tickets themselves, but they were reluctant to do so.

I asked why they didn't purchase the tickets to the West Coast in the first place, instead of waiting until they got here. They said they didn't know their relatives' schedules. Which seemed odd to me, but whatever.

They were supposed to stop by and visit on their way back, but never did. Our son said that their plans changed and they were trying to set up a business in California. Apparently, that didn't turn out as a year or two later, they contacted him from their home country and wanted to visit him again. This time we didn't fill out the paperwork.

We did not fill out an affidavit of support for any of these people, but we had to verify our address, the purpose of the visit, etc.

Anyone flying, would need to show their passport to get on the plane. If they used a credit card to pay for a plane ticket, that could be tracked fairly easily.

If they were visiting relatives, they could be contacted. Lots of ways to track down people.

As far as I know, all the people we sponsored returned home as we were never contacted by anyone about them.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:06 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Over the years, we've had to fill out pages of paperwork to sponsor various people coming over to visit on a visa. Could start there.

Our children have made friends while studying abroad. These friends have come over to visit for graduations, weddings, and such. I often wondered if they never went home, would someone contact us.

One host couple acted mighty odd when they got here. They said they wanted to fly to the West Coast to visit relatives and would give us cash to buy the tickets. I suggested we go to the airport where they could purchase the tickets themselves, but they were reluctant to do so.

I asked why they didn't purchase the tickets to the West Coast in the first place, instead of waiting until they got here. They said they didn't know their relatives' schedules. Which seemed odd to me, but whatever.

They were supposed to stop by and visit on their way back, but never did. Our son said that their plans changed and they were trying to set up a business in California. Apparently, that didn't turn out as a year or two later, they contacted him from their home country and wanted to visit him again. This time we didn't fill out the paperwork.

We did not fill out an affidavit of support for any of these people, but we had to verify our address, the purpose of the visit, etc.

Anyone flying, would need to show their passport to get on the plane. If they used a credit card to pay for a plane ticket, that could be tracked fairly easily.

If they were visiting relatives, they could be contacted. Lots of ways to track down people.

As far as I know, all the people we sponsored returned home as we were never contacted by anyone about them.
That’s interesting, because you cannot actually sponsor someone for a tourist visa. You can write an invitation letter but more often than not, nowadays those are overlooked or seen as ties that they will stay in the USA. Family and friends lie, new friends can be made and they disappear. I think that there needs to be better ways of keeping track of those, but how?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
One way to curb overstaying visas -- actually arresting people who overstay their visas.

There has been a history of little reinforcement of many existing laws on the books.

This has been true for many federal, state and local governments and communities.

Let's just start enforcing existing laws. Fewer folks would overstay visas if they knew they were at a high risk of being arrested and IMMEDIATELY deported.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:04 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's interesting. Can you provide info to the top 10 where this is happening.
I don't link to common knowledge. Try that trick somewhere else.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Another one of Trumps LIES. Mexico was supposed to pay for the damn wall. Remember? I guess he thinks we are all stupid like him.....
Your concern for the integrity of the office is commendable. You real concern is for the wall to be actually built, not the anybody lied.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:14 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Lol someone got outed for their fallacies. Trumplets are too funny.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Folks...congress sets spending. Do you REALLY want to set this precedent? Because I guarantee you folks on the right that you will regret it. Seriously.

And you folks complained about Obama acting like a dictator. Bwahahahhaha. Here you are cheering on unchecked executive power.
Eisenhower used the military budget to build the Interstate Highway System claiming it was for "national defense". The precedent has already been set.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 AM

267 posts, read 122,086 times
I don’t care if he builds his stupid wall.

Human and drug traffickers will build tunnels. If the military is gonna spend that money on war weapons and mercenaries, we might as well spend it in fake construction jobs. At least no one will be dying in the process.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That trick of asking for supporting documentation? /lol
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies