Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Knee jerk reactions that will do nothing to stop someone from shooting up a school. If someone really wants to shoot up a school, these things will not stop them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:57 PM

477 posts, read 276,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Or commonsense gun control could include charging your neighbor for his or negligence in keeping a large quantity of guns where they would be accessible to a thief.

My gun control would include someone like that - a proven risk of being negligent with his guns - prohibited from ever owning guns again. Owning guns should be considered a privilege that he relinquished with his behavior.
Wow, isn't that victim-blaming?

That neighbor had his or her house broken into, by criminals, his or her property stolen, by criminals, and you want to string up the person who DIDN'T commit those crimes? That's effed up. Kind of like criminally charging a rape victim for public nudity violations...

I sure hope if your car is ever stolen and the thief kills someone with it you feel the same way about "negligence."

Regarding the Parkland kids' complaints about their school feeling like a jail, if all those security measures save *just* one life, it's worth it. Never again. Whatever it takes. Hashtag soundbite slogan.

What did they think was going to happen? That the U.S. Government was going to wave a wand and all the millions of guns in our country were going to magically disappear?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
And how exactly do you stop a thief from stealing guns? Even if in a safe they can be stolen. A bit more work to do so, but it can still be done.

Drug addicts steal drugs from pharmacies and hospitals. Should we ban them from ever having drugs on site again after such a theft?
Many guns though, probably most, are not stolen from safes, they are stolen because they are left out in cars and in the home, not locked up or anything, not even hidden from plain view.

Hell, there are way too many instances of "three year old accidentally shot one year old" going around as it is.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Or commonsense gun control could include charging your neighbor for his or negligence in keeping a large quantity of guns where they would be accessible to a thief.

My gun control would include someone like that - a proven risk of being negligent with his guns - prohibited from ever owning guns again. Owning guns should be considered a privilege that he relinquished with his behavior.
A constitutional right is by definition not a privilege.

These students can't have it both ways. Do they "just want to feel safe at school" or not? Is the truth that they really just want people's rights taken away?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 PM

23,614 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:

If someone steals the property of someone else and uses that property to harm someone, the owner is responsible? So, if someone steals your car and kills someone, you should go to jail for murder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I bet you also blame the woman for wearing a skirt when and if she gets raped, right?
Looks like they would , if she owned the skirt

Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many guns though, probably most, are not stolen from safes, they are stolen because they are left out in cars and in the home, not locked up or anything, not even hidden from plain view.

Hell, there are way too many instances of "three year old accidentally shot one year old" going around as it is.
Exactly.

Victim blaming would be if I said someone deserved to be robbed *because* they left out 8 guns where they could be stolen. That isn't what I said. But I do think someone is criminally negligent if they leave guns out in the open where they can be easily stolen, or even more tragically, accidentally used by a child which is something that occurs with horrifying frequency.

And if my car was stolen because I left it unlocked in the driveway with the key in the ignition, then yes, I might have some culpability for a crime committed with it.

As for the Constitutional right to own guns, it might surprise some of you to know that the unfettered right to own guns that people think the 2nd Amendment provides is a judicial construct that is only a decade old.

The Heller Decision and What It Means | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
The school district is making an effort to protect the kids and keep something like this from happening again. Granted, clear backpacks don't do MUCH, but they may make it easier to spot those that are carrying weapons. ID badges, a step to ensure that only those that belong in the school can get there. Additional armed security, esp State Police rather than Coward County Sheriff? Probably good, but won't last long due to the cost involved.

Allowing teachers and administrators that have concealed carry permits and training to bring a means of defending themselves to school? Far more effective, less costly and non-intrusive. But not politically accepted in an area populated with left-leaning residents. Maybe some good can come from this and it becomes the opening to get concealed carry in more schools, in more states.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:24 PM

17,413 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Victim blaming would be if I said someone deserved to be robbed *because* they left out 8 guns where they could be stolen. That isn't what I said. But I do think someone is criminally negligent if they leave guns out in the open where they can be easily stolen, or even more tragically, accidentally used by a child which is something that occurs with horrifying frequency.

And if my car was stolen because I left it unlocked in the driveway with the key in the ignition, then yes, I might have some culpability for a crime committed with it.

As for the Constitutional right to own guns, it might surprise some of you to know that the unfettered right to own guns that people think the 2nd Amendment provides is a judicial construct that is only a decade old.

The Heller Decision and What It Means | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
And you actually answered my previous rape analogy question with the bolded.

It looks like you would blame the woman for being raped.

Nice.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
And you actually answered my previous rape analogy question with the bolded.

It looks like you would blame the woman for being raped.

Nice.
No, I was ignoring your disgusting analogy and I'm now blocking you so don't bother to reply.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:36 PM

17,413 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
No, I was ignoring your disgusting analogy and I'm now blocking you so don't bother to reply.

... and this is why as a country we are going to hell in a handbasket.

Block the opinions you don't like, de-friend the people with views you oppose and surround yourself with like minded individuals who only toe the party line.

Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies