Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Isn't this what they wanted? Protect our kids... right? They just did a whole march for this.

I know... I know... they wanted guns taken away. They didn't ask to go to jail every day. This is a life lesson for them in government control.

The lesson here... even though they made demands to the culture, they don't control how their demands will be implemented.

Here's another lesson... freedom requires responsibility in order to maintain a decent culture. If you want to give responsibility to others to maintain a decent culture, don't get mad when your freedom disappears as well.

They led a national march. Now Parkland students return to a school they say 'feels like jail'

Students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School return to class Monday, their first day back since organizing one of the largest youth-led protests in US history.

But these teenagers won't be returning to a normal high school experience. Instead, they'll be met with strict security measures which are intended to protect them from another mass shooting but have some students feeling as if they'll be learning in a prison.

"Going to school is really so hard, and now it's going to be so much worse," said Isabelle Robinson, a senior. "A lot of the people I've talked to are dreading going back."

MSD students will only be allowed to carry clear backpacks on campus and will be required to wear new student IDs at all times.

There will be an increased police presence on campus, as Gov. Rick Scott provides extra Florida Highway Patrol officers to beef up security and provide support to Broward County sheriff's deputies. Students will have limited points of entry to the school.

"It feels like being punished," Robinson told CNN. "It feels like jail, being checked every time we go to school."
You need to realize that their handlers have the perfect solution. If all the guns are confiscated we won't even need guards and bullet proof glass in schools... right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Their 15 minutes is up, a loooong time ago.

Please let these 'heroes' fade away.

Not gonna happen, although you would love to have that happen. Their resolve is amazing, so proud of them.

We have a few HS kids working part time where I work. The other day, I asked 3 of them "So what do you think about the protests and what these kids are doing ?" They said that some of it may be a little bit much, but that they felt overall it was good and necessary. Two of the 3 said they participated in the walk outs, not because they were grandstanding, but because they felt they were doing something important.

When you sweep everything else out of the way, it is sad to think that we adults left the next generation with such a messed up world. Hope they are able to fix it.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not gonna happen, although you would love to have that happen. Their resolve is amazing, so proud of them.

We have a few HS kids working part time where I work. The other day, I asked 3 of them "So what do you think about the protests and what these kids are doing ?" They said that some of it may be a little bit much, but that they felt overall it was good and necessary. Two of the 3 said they participated in the walk outs, not because they were grandstanding, but because they felt they were doing something important.

When you sweep everything else out of the way, it is sad to think that we adults left the next generation with such a messed up world. Hope they are able to fix it.
I do feel a lot more optimistic about the future now than I did before all of this. Once I realized that Sandy Hook wasn't going to be a turning point and that killing 20 babies wasn't going to change anything, I gave up hope of things ever getting better. Now I think that there could be a chance that the US isn't going to give our country to the NRA and the crazy gun nuts. Note, not all gun owners are gun nuts, and the majority of gun owners actually support sensible gun control. It's just the nut jobs who value their guns more than the lives of our children who are the issue and we can see just how scared they are running now.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Not if we keep voting for people who only care about preserving their personal power and paying off special interests. Both sides are corrupt and as long as both sides keep telling themselves it;s okay to vote for the lessor of two evils, we will still be governed by evil people.

I gave up on both parties 16 years ago. As far as I'm concerned this country will be saved by Libertarians and Moderates, or drown with the morons who are in power now.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I do feel a lot more optimistic about the future now than I did before all of this. Once I realized that Sandy Hook wasn't going to be a turning point and that killing 20 babies wasn't going to change anything, I gave up hope of things ever getting better. Now I think that there could be a chance that the US isn't going to give our country to the NRA and the crazy gun nuts. Note, not all gun owners are gun nuts, and the majority of gun owners actually support sensible gun control. It's just the nut jobs who value their guns more than the lives of our children who are the issue and we can see just how scared they are running now.
Last year my neighbor had 8 guns stolen. The druggies that did it are not going to go through any background check when they sell them to other criminals, nor will they be concerned in the least about magazine capacity. If an AR 15 was amongst the stolen weapons they are not going to turn it in if somehow the liberal dream of removing all AR 15's from society were to become the law of the land.

Commonsense actions to protect school kids would be to treat schools like courthouses. Metal detectors, armed guards (or armed teachers) etc. Crazies do not attack any place where they know a good guy with a gun might shoot back. They only go for gun free zones where they know they'll have free reign.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:34 PM

23,632 posts, read 12,553,459 times
They probably went through more security measures when they boarded the plane to DC, but they didn't complain about that. And like previously posted, they may go through the same or worse in their future jobs than what the school has implemented.

If they end up in high profile jobs I guess they won't be having armed guards around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yes and the measures now in place will help that to not happen. They wanted to feel safe in school and not worry about being shot. Now they should.
^^this.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
"We had to turn your schools into jails for your own safety. This is how the second amendment prevents a police state."

Old 04-02-2018, 07:45 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Last year my neighbor had 8 guns stolen. The druggies that did it are not going to go through any background check when they sell them to other criminals, nor will they be concerned in the least about magazine capacity. If an AR 15 was amongst the stolen weapons they are not going to turn it in if somehow the liberal dream of removing all AR 15's from society were to become the law of the land.

Commonsense actions to protect school kids would be to treat schools like courthouses. Metal detectors, armed guards (or armed teachers) etc. Crazies do not attack any place where they know a good guy with a gun might shoot back. They only go for gun free zones where they know they'll have free reign.
Or commonsense gun control could include charging your neighbor for his or negligence in keeping a large quantity of guns where they would be accessible to a thief.

My gun control would include someone like that - a proven risk of being negligent with his guns - prohibited from ever owning guns again. Owning guns should be considered a privilege that he relinquished with his behavior.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 PM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
Or commonsense gun control could include charging your neighbor for his or negligence in keeping a large quantity of guns where they would be accessible to a thief.

My gun control would include someone like that - a proven risk of being negligent with his guns - prohibited from ever owning guns again. Owning guns should be considered a privilege that he relinquished with his behavior.
I bet you also blame the woman for wearing a skirt when and if she gets raped, right?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
Quote:

And how exactly do you stop a thief from stealing guns? Even if in a safe they can be stolen. A bit more work to do so, but it can still be done.

Drug addicts steal drugs from pharmacies and hospitals. Should we ban them from ever having drugs on site again after such a theft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies