Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:22 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Trump is the infected boil on America, swollen, red, and painful. The boil needs to be lanced, the pus drained, and the healing to begin. Once moderate Americans see how infectious the disease of ignorance, corruption, pathological dishonesty and veiled racism is to the health and well being of our democracy (and many already have) I have to wonder what will fill the ideological vacuum that Trumpism will leave in its wake.

Democrats are by no means blameless, but they do believe in a government run by educated professionals who aspire to be the best in their respective fields. The previous two Republican administrations have been notoriously staffed by cronies, many woefully unqualified, and as bad as the Bush administration was, it covered up its cronyism like establishment Republicans have perfected the process. The Trump Administration is blatant and uninterested in appearances, with his family immediately occupying key posts, and his appointments to his inner circle being the people he watches on Fox News.

We still have three more years to feel the pain of this boil, and it likely will not be lanced until 2020. What platform will Republicans adopt after the religious absolutism of the war mongering neoconservatives under Bush, and now the blatant corruption and endless cycle of polarizing attacks on democracy under Trump?

I predict a rebirth of the Republican party, one that understands that a theocratic approach to governing appeals to a shrinking number of Americans, and a dog whistle "Make America Great Again" platform of not so veiled racism won't work either, because America becomes less white every day. We have seen how cowardly Republicans are to stand up to Trump. but some have shown backbone. One knows his days are numbered on this earth and has stood up, while two others have abandoned their seats, and are content to stand up as they are walking away from the fight.

I look forward to the rebadged Republican Party, one that is more inclusive and less ideological.
Ridiculous and yawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:24 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Dems gain more and more power/control.......then the San-Franciscoization of more and more of the USA.
Or maybe the Minnesotanization.

Minnesota is a pretty sweet place to live.

Paul Wellstone was from Minnesota. Shame about that plane crash.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:39 AM

13,967 posts, read 5,630,295 times
What happens after Trump? Pretty easy to figure out, given the last 100 or so years of history:
  • Both parties will continue growing the welfare state, with the Democrats being the only ones remotely honest about their intention
  • Both parties will blame the other for anything that goes wrong, even when both are fundamentally the same and do the same stuff.
  • Most media will continue to side with Democrats, thus marketing them better than Republicans.
  • Debt will grow unchecked.
  • Wars will continue, either with or without us.
  • Americans will keep hating each other for no reason other than being told to by some number of people in the media-political complex.
  • Planet keeps spinning.
  • Americans will continue to prosper in spite of government and rarely because of it.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Trump is the infected boil on America, swollen, red, and painful. The boil needs to be lanced, the pus drained, and the healing to begin. Once moderate Americans see how infectious the disease of ignorance, corruption, pathological dishonesty and veiled racism is to the health and well being of our democracy (and many already have) I have to wonder what will fill the ideological vacuum that Trumpism will leave in its wake.

Democrats are by no means blameless, but they do believe in a government run by educated professionals who aspire to be the best in their respective fields. The previous two Republican administrations have been notoriously staffed by cronies, many woefully unqualified, and as bad as the Bush administration was, it covered up its cronyism like establishment Republicans have perfected the process. The Trump Administration is blatant and uninterested in appearances, with his family immediately occupying key posts, and his appointments to his inner circle being the people he watches on Fox News.

We still have three more years to feel the pain of this boil, and it likely will not be lanced until 2020. What platform will Republicans adopt after the religious absolutism of the war mongering neoconservatives under Bush, and now the blatant corruption and endless cycle of polarizing attacks on democracy under Trump?

I predict a rebirth of the Republican party, one that understands that a theocratic approach to governing appeals to a shrinking number of Americans, and a dog whistle "Make America Great Again" platform of not so veiled racism won't work either, because America becomes less white every day. We have seen how cowardly Republicans are to stand up to Trump. but some have shown backbone. One knows his days are numbered on this earth and has stood up, while two others have abandoned their seats, and are content to stand up as they are walking away from the fight.

I look forward to the rebadged Republican Party, one that is more inclusive and less ideological.
As much as I would like to believe that there is no way in hell Trump will get a second term, it would not surprise me in the least. So, although I believe Pence would actually be worse, I'm prepared for the nightmare of 7 more years of tRump insanity.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:10 PM

What happens with Cohen will tell us where we're going from here.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:31 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
As much as I would like to believe that there is no way in hell Trump will get a second term, it would not surprise me in the least. So, although I believe Pence would actually be worse, I'm prepared for the nightmare of 7 more years of tRump insanity.
We left 8 years of insanity behind when Trump took the oath of office.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:

But like the Democrat Party, there is nobody around to lead the Republican Party to anything more inclusive and less ideological.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:04 PM

I don't know about that.

Senator Kamala Harris shows some potential.

There are a number of other Democrats who are standing up for inclusiveness, sanity, rule of law, ...

At the moment, I can't think any Republican on the national level.

Does anyone come to mind?

Old 04-30-2018, 01:10 PM

The idea that Democrats are no different that Republicans will probably be put to rest over the next year or so.

I think that is one thing that will change.

When Nixon threw in the towel, Republicans didn't get blamed for his misdeeds. I doubt that will be the case this time around.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-30-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 01:12 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Trump is the infected boil on America, swollen, red, and painful. <>
You're really going to be miserable during the second term, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies