Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Surely I don't have to tell you that not all "liberals" subscribe to academic doctrine?
Why would you want to tell me this? Your comment makes no logical sense in the context of a discussion of whether or not "cultural appropriation" is a product of the academic left.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:30 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Anyone who believes that a qipao is a type of cultural costume with special significance is guilty of undignified cultural ignorance.

As has been posted n times in this thread alone, the Chinese in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore and in other countries and on the Internet sell these dresses to any foreign person who wants one.

Most Chinese women will not even wear these dresses anymore, unless they work in a hotel or restaurant. Chinese women have been wearing western wedding gowns for the past 30 years.
We know that some people were offended, and we know that some were not. Does that mean that those who were offended should be ignored?

Old 05-02-2018, 08:32 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Women have been wearing Asian-influenced attire for decades, including dresses very similar to the one this young woman wore to the prom.

Have you ever seen anyone wear an indigenous head dress anywhere in an attempt to be fashionable?

Someone else here mentioned Nehru jackets. Was that cultural appropriation or a fad?
A hat is a hat. If someone wants to wear a headress, turban, or any other thing on their head that they deem attractive, that should be possible because according to the rule of offending some, but not all, no one should have the right to claim any religious or cultural ownership on that head cover.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
We know that some people were offended, and we know that some were not. Does that mean that those who were offended should be ignored?
No, they should be laughed at.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
A hat is a hat. If someone wants to wear a headress, turban, or any other thing on their head that they deem attractive, that should be possible and according to the rule of offending some, but not all, no one should have the right to claim any religious or cultural ownership on that head cover.

Oh, good. It seems you suddenly agree with me.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:35 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Yes, there was a time when people were offended that black people used the same water fountains as them. They should have been ignored. Someone being offended by something doesn't make them deserving of any special treatment.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No, they should be laughed at.
Long and hard.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Cool or not, if she offended people who hold that type of cultural costume with special significance, she should have apologized. Brash selfish defiance is not an appropriate response to learning of her undignified cultural ignorance.
That's ridiculous.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Why would you want to tell me this? Your comment makes no logical sense in the context of a discussion of whether or not "cultural appropriation" is a product of the academic left.
Why doesn't it? You stated that the concept of "cultural appropriation" is right out of "leftist" academia (I assume you believe this is a left vs right issue). I'm saying that, even if that were true, not all "liberals" accept academic notions like "cultural appropriation." At least not in a land of immigrants like the United States.

Having said that, I'll admit that, because my parents are Scottish immigrants, it has always mildly annoyed me when I hear bagpipes playing at an event/gathering that is neither Scottish nor Irish. But I quickly get over it.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-02-2018 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yep.

And harem pants. Kilts worn by Catholic school girls, (unless they're Scottish or Irish). Cowboy hats and boots. Moccasins. Mukluks. Bohemian-style fashions. Bagpipe music for any event of neither Scottish nor Irish heritage. St. Patrick's Day for non-Irish.

All examples of "cultural appropriation."

Good point and you don't see people in the above groups complaining.

It's like grade school to complain about these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies