Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

I suggest watching Food Network. Of course, we are not talking about chain restaurants though. Many of those who have wanted to work in the Culinary Industry have started out as Dishwashers and Line Cooks. Their aspirations are to be Executive Chefs or start their own restaurants.

Get an education? Many of these people have gone through Culinary Institutes. Not everyone wants a Business Career. Again, many posters think restaurants and automatically think uneducated and poor. I have read there are restaurants in Manhattan which pay their employees salaries, and there is no tipping allowed. There are customers in these big cities across America who are perfectly willing to pay $25+++ for a burger.

BTW, back at the turn of the century, my Great-Grandpa, son of an immigrant with only Elementary School Education, was a Chef at a major Manhattan Hotel which still exists today. He did very well for himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Ever heard of Uber or Lyft ?

—
According to a recent study, Uber and Lyft drivers earn a median hourly profit of $8.55; study authors revised this figure on Monday from an earlier amount reported last week of $3.37 per hour.

The academic research, which was conducted at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research, determined that, after surveying more than 1,100 drivers, many drivers are, in fact, losing money. For at least 41 percent of drivers, hourly profit is below the minimum wage in their state.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-report-finds/
I was 17 in 2000, Uber and Lyft didn't exist then. And I work for $18/hr now

Old 05-07-2018, 11:01 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Fifty an hour is about the going rate for a decent house cleaner. A bit low, in fact. We have a team of 2 who clean this place for a little more than that an hour, so I'd consider it a savings and hire this person right away.
When it only takes one hour for a team of two to clean your house....not a big deal.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-07-2018 at 11:20 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 11:50 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
California waiters all earn minimum wage. Restaurants seem to be doing fine.
And on top of that, we still tip for average to mediocre service. We're stupid like that.

Since the wait staff is getting paid, might as well not tip.
The increase in food price more than pays for it.

Minimum wage shifts the burden of pay to the restaurant owner rather than the restaurant guests. It's better this way.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Now there will be massive job loss and more unemployment, excellent liberal logic there.

Which makes minimum wage hikes utterly worthless since you plan to just keep hiking them every other year until every business on the block is forced to close, after it fires half its staff first.

You do understand the link between minimum wage hikes, unemployment, and higher prices right?

Yes, that's capitalism. Supply and demand. You get paid what the market dictates.

Burger flippers do not need to get paid like school teachers. Unless you want to get that burger flipper fired when the business can't afford his salary then pay $30 for some McDonald Big Mac to pay the salary of those still there.

Oh and minimum wage hikes means management gets paid even more. You're out of your mind if you think those in supervisor and managerial roles would allow pay raises of burger flippers without pay raises for themselves. Say hello to your $30 Big Mac.

Better yet, everyone gets fired, say hello to your machine.
You're forgetting the fact that prices go up every year regardless, so if minimum wage stayed static, then it's worth would decrease every year making each successive minimum wage earner poorer in real terms. That's not ok to me though it may be to you. What do you think is a "fair wage" for a "burger flipper"? 50 cents per hour?

Old 05-08-2018, 05:04 AM

24,631 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You're forgetting the fact that prices go up every year regardless, so if minimum wage stayed static, then it's worth would decrease every year making each successive minimum wage earner poorer in real terms. That's not ok to me though it may be to you. What do you think is a "fair wage" for a "burger flipper"? 50 cents per hour?
I used to be a burger flipper, I made about $7.50 an hour. That was fair and my market salary.

But I wanted more money so I quit being a burger flipper and went back to school. Pretty simple to do and now I get paid far more than $7.50 an hour.

Any burger flipper can get a regionally accredited degree online, all you need is internet access.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:40 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I used to be a burger flipper, I made about $7.50 an hour. That was fair and my market salary.

But I wanted more money so I quit being a burger flipper and went back to school. Pretty simple to do and now I get paid far more than $7.50 an hour.

Any burger flipper can get a regionally accredited degree online, all you need is internet access.
Should there be no garbage collectors, nursing home workers and store clerks? They should all just get a degree? It doesnt work like that. The minimum wage hike affects tens of millions of workers, including the type of jobs I mentioned. "Burger flippers" are just used as someone to look down upon. But many more than fast food workers would benefit from higher wages if the minimum wage was hiked to $15 an hour and annually adjusted according to GDP per capita. And teachers would also get better leverage when the wage floor is raised at the bottom.

No one should have to work for less than $15 an hour when tomatoes, insurance and rent are as expensive as they are.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It’s a good deal for these companies.. they don’t have to buy company cars or pay gas etc .

As independent contractors the drivers aren’t even entitled to min wage .

But funny you hardly hear about them being bad, because Silicon Valley is very liberal .
I see articles all the time about how they are taking advantage of their workers.

Easy to find if one actually pays attention.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:41 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Public education is *free* in the USA, no book or other fees. If your child has special needs if local public school system cannot accommodate (and that is a very lose term) by law local district must pay for that child to attend any private school of parents choosing.
Federal law requires that all children receive a free public education and that their special needs are accommodated. If public schools can't meet the child's needs the district can place and pay or a private school but mom and dad can't go shop for one.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
When it only takes one hour for a team of two to clean your house....not a big deal.
Not the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies