Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Slavery catapulted American into a prosperous nation

It was a necessary evil and all African Americans like myself are enjoying the fruits of our ancestors labor. Aka being born in America and not Africa.

Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, Oprah, Obama, Will Smith, Samuel L Jackson, Dave Chapelle, none of us African Americans would’ve been born here otherwise.
Not true.

Capitalism drove America to prosperity, not slavery.

People abandoned slavery not because they suddenly developed morality. It was because slavery impedes production and the labor market. It was the economy not the morality that ended slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
Quote:
I live in a prosperous society because my ancestors were sold into slavery from West Africa by their own kings.

I’m prosperous because I do something this country needs done at more than minimum wage, where I don’t have to whine to politicians every other year for a pay raise.

I appreciate your concern.
you sound foolish.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
That’s the perfect argument against minimum wage hikes.

Minimum wage hikes are speeding up the process of unemployment.
those things were going to be implemented regardless of minimum wage hikes. Companies are always looking for ways to maximize profit.

Do you really think they would refuse to use these things if minimum wages remained stagnant?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
How about you saying something new, instead of parroting the same old crap?
Just because you disagree, it doesn't make it crap.

The minimum wage law forces people to pay up at gunpoint so that a few people could benefit.

That's not moral, just or fair. It is slavery in the modern form.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
raise prices.. it's NYC. Is anyone really going to go crazy because a Chicken Parm is 15.99 instead of 15.29?
Prices will go up a lot more than that . In L.A min wage isn’t $15 yet but I’ve seen places raising prices 20% in less than a year .

It won’t effect the wealthy but not everyone in NYC is wealthy of course .

Old 05-09-2018, 08:07 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Of course not everyone can become highly skilled, but can't we deal with those people individually instead of having a blanket law to impose slavery on people?
Well, Milton Friedman's suggestion was the 'Negative Income Tax'; Warren Buffet and Bill Gates agree with it as well, but you don't....

Old 05-09-2018, 08:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Prices will go up a lot more than that . In L.A min wage isn’t $15 yet but I’ve seen places raising prices 20% in less than a year .

A 20% price hike was more likely due to a rent increase for the restaurant space or increases in food cost than a minimum wage hike. Labor doesn't make up enough of a restaurants operating budget to warrant that type of price hike from wages alone

Old 05-09-2018, 08:09 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:

That just means that restaurants are looking at this as a cash grab. Raise prices dramatically and then blame it on the wage increase even when the wage increase doesn't match the price increase.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:

part of the reason for raising the minimum wage is because everyone in NYC isn't wealthy.

Every time the MW goes up folks scream about losing jobs but it rarely happens.

While I'm not a fan of $15 an hour across the board it's definitely possible in places like LA and NYC where housing prices are insanely high.

Seattle and San Fran also can weather this storm.

I think a bigger issue is rent prices in these cities.

I live in Charlotte and my favorite breakfast spot is a small shop with a small footprint and their sandwich went from 3.50 to 4.50. There is no wage increase, it's a family business. This is more than likely just the price of good going up. I haven't been back since because it's no longer a good deal IMO.

and last but not least, no one needs to raise prices 20% to cover this. That's a lie.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
A 20% price hike was more likely due to a rent increase for the restaurant space or increases in food cost than a minimum wage hike. Labor doesn't make up enough of a restaurants operating budget to warrant that type of price hike from wages alone
Most retail /commercial spaces are long leases though of 5 years of more not a one year lease like residential .

Labor can be 30 % of the cost but now it’s going to be more of the cost because of the significant hike .

It could be they are doing significant increases so they don’t have to keep raising all the time but we’ll see.

Since this $15 hr law passed , it’s been a lot worse for sure . It’ll make us less competitive than other states too . You don’t need to be in L.A or NYC to sell pizza or burgers or anything .

There are consequences including unintended consequences to everything . The liberals are making it sound like this is guaranteed to help workers but employers are already cutting hours etc .

Many could very well be sent over the edge once it’s $15 . I know liberals say who cares let them go out of business . But it’s better to have a business operating and people working versus an empty storefront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies