Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Ahh, shucks, your lack of empathy and humanity is striking. You sound just like your fearless leader. I am surprised how many people think or say they feel are in our country. It is shocking.
Actually if you really look closely it's your and other ILLEGAL entrant supporters that totally lack empathy and humanity, especially those loudmouths in CA.

CA reportedly contains over 1/3 of the nations homeless and yet these oh-so-sympathetic protesters and loudmouths chant and scream for MORE poor and homeless AND uneducated non English speakers to be allowed to just walk on in and set up housekeeping.

Please explain how it's compassionate and humane to totally ignore the already burgeoning homeless CITIZEN population in favor of total ILLEGAL outsiders? C'mon, I'd love to hear your or anyone's rationalization of that stance...

Now if there were no, or low amounts of severely poor, homeless and underfed people,families and yes those tear jerking chiiiiildren in every city in every state then y'all might, MIGHT have some kind of high ground.

Fix our house first before opening it to others is what I say...

Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
what is shocking are the amount of people who believe it's ok to break the laws of your own country....that in itself is being disloyal to your own nation....period.
I haven't posted for a while, for personal and ethical reasons, but I cannot let this stand.

Tell me, cremebrulee, do you think that the late Miep Gies and her coworkers should be condemned or criticized for illegally sheltering eight Jews, including Anne Frank, in that Amsterdam attic, for over two years during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands?

Or were they heroes, who risked their own lives for the sakes of others?

They broke the law, you know. Several laws, in fact. And they were certainly disloyal to the government then in power. They used fake ration cards to illegally get food and clothing for those eight people they illegally hid. They lied. They did not turn in these Jews to the authorities, as they were required to do. They even provided an illegal radio to those whom they hid.

So tell me, cremebrulee, were these people criminals because they broke the law and were disloyal? Or should they have been good little collaborators, obeyed the law, and turned in those eight Jewish people they hid and supported, so that they could have been sent along to the extermination camps in a more timely fashion?

Thankfully, as most know, Anne's diary survived and was preserved by her friends. But of the eight who were hidden in that attic for over two years - one came back, Otto Frank, Anne and her sister Margot's father. Anne died, not yet sixteen, of typhus and starvation, in Bergen-Belsen in March of 1945, shortly after the death of her sister. The others who were hidden with her suffered similar fates.

One came back, and Anne's diary was published and made her immortal and reinforced the survival of hope in times of terror and oppression.

But tell me again, cremebrulee, what about Miep Gies and the others who hid the Frank family and four others? What would you have done with these "criminal" law-breakers, if you had been in occupied Amsterdam in that summer of 1944, when the hidden ones were discovered?

Last edited by CraigCreek; 06-29-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually if you really look closely it's your and other ILLEGAL entrant supporters that totally lack empathy and humanity, especially those loudmouths in CA.

CA reportedly contains over 1/3 of the nations homeless and yet these oh-so-sympathetic protesters and loudmouths chant and scream for MORE poor and homeless AND uneducated non English speakers to be allowed to just walk on in and set up housekeeping.

Please explain how it's compassionate and humane to totally ignore the already burgeoning homeless CITIZEN population in favor of total ILLEGAL outsiders? C'mon, I'd love to hear your or anyone's rationalization of that stance...

Now if there were no, or low amounts of severely poor, homeless and underfed people,families and yes those tear jerking chiiiiildren in every city in every state then y'all might, MIGHT have some kind of high ground.

Oh please. I’ve yet to see a single compassionate post regarding any of the above from those who now have no empathy for these children.

The only time any of these issues are presented as actual issues to be addressed is when they are needed to deflect from something else.

Any other time, threads about the homeless, hungry children, etc. are filled with lots of victim blaming and worse.

Oh well. At least the lack of empathy is pretty consistent.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:07 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
The lack of empathy for our own citizens who have had to bear the costs, loss of jobs, reduced wages, increased crime, overcrowded schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods from illegal immigration is what is truly shocking including these citizens total disregard for the laws of their own country.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How about YOU having empathy for my tax contributions! We can't afford to help everyone in Central America, the Caribbean and Mexico who is unhappy with their country's quality of life. And meanwhile, what about all the homeless Americans living on our cities' streets? What about American families who are struggling to find affordable housing? And shouldn't ask Native Americans how they feel about you inviting more outsiders into THEIR country?
Actually, most of those who are seeking legal asylum are unhappy with their countries' quality - and quantity - of death, and are fleeing with their children to try to preserve their lives.

Nonetheless, legal asylum seekers who are doing everything right - going to the right entries, filling out the right forms, etc. - have STILL been separated from their children, who have been sent who knows where -the government certainly doesn't know.

I'd again remind you that unless you yourself are American Indian (most of whom don't use the term "Native American", btw), your ancestors came to these shores as "outsiders" themselves.

Ironically these same arguments appeared during the Irish potato famine, when "No Irish Need Apply" became the byword. Irish immigrants who fled starvation were said to be dirty, Catholic, illiterate, superstitious, alcoholic, violent...Sound familiar? Assimilation? What was that??

Nowadays, of course, most people with any knowledge of history shake their heads over such past prejudice and ignorance. Yet these same accusations appear today.

Having made these points, I would also add that my own suggestion would be to offer the "sending countries" assistance in combatting the gang warfare which is terrorizing their civilian population. Make those countries safe and stable, help with things like health care, education and infrastructure (hah, as if Trump...well, you know), and watch both legal and illegal immigration from these countries drop radically.

But no, it's easier to frighten those scared Americans who haven't looked into the situation - or history - very thoroughly, and make political hay at the cost of separating children from their families, losing many in the process.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The lack of empathy for our own citizens who have had to bear the costs, loss of jobs, reduced wages, increased crime, overcrowded schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods from illegal immigration is what is truly shocking including these citizens total disregard for the laws of their own country.
"No Irish Need Apply"!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Oh please. I’ve yet to see a single compassionate post regarding any of the above from those who now have no empathy for these children.

The only time any of these issues are presented as actual issues to be addressed is when they are needed to deflect from something else.

Any other time, threads about the homeless, hungry children, etc. are filled with lots of victim blaming and worse.

Oh well. At least the lack of empathy is pretty consistent.
your making things up as you go....no one here doesn't have empathy for these children and how dare you make a statement like that....

the ones who don't have empathy are the parents bringing them into this country, breaking the law, full well knowing they could get caught and their children will be taken away from them.

It would be different if it were a few people, but it's not, your talking thousands, and we can't keep doing this and allowing our country's citizens, like our own vets, our homeless and our own fosters, to do without.

we are going broke because of it, not to mention the dangers...a lot, not all but a lot of those people are brutal criminals...and yes, there are good people among them, then if you want to be here become a citizen...follow the law....

Old 06-29-2018, 09:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
your making things up as you go....no one here doesn't have empathy for these children and how dare you make a statement like that....

the ones who don't have empathy are the parents bringing them into this country, breaking the law, full well knowing they could get caught and their children will be taken away from them.

It would be different if it were a few people, but it's not, your talking thousands, and we can't keep doing this and allowing our country's citizens, like our own vets, our homeless and our own fosters, to do without.

we are going broke because of it, not to mention the dangers...a lot, not all but a lot of those people are brutal criminals...and yes, there are good people among them, then if you want to be here become a citizen...follow the law....
More selective outrage.

There are many, many, many posts in this very thread that show no empathy for these children.

There are many, many, many posts in this forum that show no empathy for veterans, poor children and the homeless in this country.
If you choose to ignore them, that's nothing to do with me.

Have to say, it's interesting that you chose to direct your ire at me while ignoring the post asking you direct questions about the morality of always following the law?

Very telling.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Real crappy analogy. That's kind of like saying that a person can't dance and chew gum at the same time. This country is rich enough to support Israel which is a very wealthy country and we have enough money to give trillions in tax cuts to the rich but somehow we can't help asylum seekers and house the homeless at the same time.

We don't help the homeless because they don't vote so there is no threat to politicians if they choose to ignore the problem, and the right doesn't want to help asylum seekers because they want to beat the drum of nativism and racism which appeals to their constituents.

As far as illegals who are not legitimate asylum seekers, we could stop that crap in a heartbeat by putting employers who hire them in jail; jobs are the magnet, not our beaches.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Melania is working on this issue. I am sure it will be solved any day now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies