Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 06:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,663,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am a humanitarian, and that has no borders. I care what happens to humans, no matter where they live. I find it incongruous that the country (the USA), which wants to present itself as a champion of human rights and freedom, continues to have laws an policies which cause it to have the highest prison population in the world (more than China which has 3 times the population), and the highest by far per capita prison population.

Do you really think the USA is that much more prone to criminality, or do you think maybe the laws are wrong? Think about this... dictatorships world wide have less people in prison. Never mind other first world countries.

What's wrong with US laws? Or is it less humanitarian?
What's wrong with being humanitarian to our citizens? We cannot do both. We have people living on the streets, children starving, poor infrastructure, mediocre public schools.

If you feel so strongly about it, you should be working with your politicians to take in all the illegals.

I always find it really odd when people claim to be humanitarian but don't give a ****e about Americans in need, only illegals.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:40 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,294,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What's wrong with being humanitarian to our citizens? We cannot do both. We have people living on the streets, children starving, poor infrastructure, mediocre public schools.

If you feel so strongly about it, you should be working with your politicians to take in all the illegals.

I always find it really odd when people claim to be humanitarian but don't give a ****e about Americans in need, only illegals.
You know what's interesting, there's people in DTLA asking to donate for refugees on the other side of the world as i step around a bunch of homeless people. What's up with that.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:46 PM

22,513 posts, read 12,061,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Well said

He whines and says that America isn't "humanitarian", yet never did I see him say that he is going to volunteer to move several illegal alien families into his own home. Typical bleeding heart lib ---- he talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk, which is hypocritical.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
I am a humanitarian, and that has no borders. I care what happens to humans, no matter where they live. I find it incongruous that the country (the USA), which wants to present itself as a champion of human rights and freedom, continues to have laws an policies which cause it to have the highest prison population in the world (more than China which has 3 times the population), and the highest by far per capita prison population.

Do you really think the USA is that much more prone to criminality, or do you think maybe the laws are wrong? Think about this... dictatorships world wide have less people in prison. Never mind other first world countries.

What's wrong with US laws? Or is it less humanitarian?
If the US is so horrible, then why are people even immigrating here? Some of which risk their lives?

So, you propose to do away with punishments for committing crime? If I come and point a gun at you and rob you, I should never go to jail for that? If I commit physical assault on you, I should not go to jail for that?

Exactly what laws are wrong? And even so, if the person knows what they are doing is against the law, why are they doing it?

Old 05-09-2018, 07:14 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,610,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well said

He whines and says that America isn't "humanitarian", yet never did I see him say that he is going to volunteer to move several illegal alien families into his own home. Typical bleeding heart lib ---- he talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk, which is hypocritical.
So you too are proud that America has the world's highest prison population, in raw numbers, and by far, in per capita.

Is it the laws? Is is that Americans are more prone to crime than any other country in the world? Or what is it?

Of course, there is a large part of the population that loves the Joe Arpaio perspective. The criminal sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If the US is so horrible, then why are people even immigrating here? Some of which risk their lives?

So, you propose to do away with punishments for committing crime? If I come and point a gun at you and rob you, I should never go to jail for that? If I commit physical assault on you, I should not go to jail for that?

Exactly what laws are wrong? And even so, if the person knows what they are doing is against the law, why are they doing it?
America needs to take a hard look as to how to revamp their justice system. There is no reason that the 18 year old arrested for possession of weed should be in jail for years. There is no reason an opioid drug user should be in jail period, they should be in a rehab program.

America's private prison industry likes long sentences for minor crimes. There is something wrong with that morally.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,864,454 times
Quote:
America needs to take a hard look as to how to revamp their justice system. There is no reason that the 18 year old arrested for possession of weed should be in jail for years. There is no reason an opioid drug user should be in jail period, they should be in a rehab program.

America's private prison industry likes long sentences for minor crimes. There is something wrong with that morally.
There would only be around a 14% reduction in the number of prisoners if removed all drug related incarcerations. At least according to this;

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...incarceration/

Anyway, if they know the drugs are illegal, why do they have them?

Old 05-09-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
You know what's interesting, there's people in DTLA asking to donate for refugees on the other side of the world as i step around a bunch of homeless people. What's up with that.
That's exactly the point, Max. Some people only care about others if they're from a third world country. They couldn't care less about Americans living like they're in a third world country. They're hypocrites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well said

Here's the thing, BOS2IAD. He's not interested in people as much as he is interested in criticizing America and Americans. He's anti-American. Bottom line is - it's none of his damn business. And if he was such a *humanitarian* he wouldn't have time to sit on his laptop proclaiming it - he'd be out living it.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There would only be around a 14% reduction in the number of prisoners if removed all drug related incarcerations. At least according to this;

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...incarceration/

Anyway, if they know the drugs are illegal, why do they have them?
Federal and State laws, if they care, need to also look at the severity of incarcerations. Violent criminals? I'm pretty OK with just about throwing away the key. Non-violent crimes? Time to look at reassessing as the current situation is not working.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Just proved my point this is about bashing America. I guess things are too boring in the Canada forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies