Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 05:11 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,349,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Their parents are USING them to gain entry into this country... because of people like YOU!!!

Only in First World countries, are children so worried over. If their parents in their Third World countries don't care about the well being of their children, why should we?

P.S. There are thousands of homeless children and teens in South America and Mexico. And other parts of the world, such as the African continent. The US can't save all of them.

And what about our homeless families, teens, mentally ill, and military veterans in the US?? Shouldn't we solve their problems first???

The best thing that we can do for the Third World countries is to give them free birth control. And that would give them a chance to solve their social problems and fix their broken sh*thole countries.
Ouch.

As if we can't work on numerous problems at once. As if we don't have dozens of different organizations and departments to facilitate assistance to a myriad of people.

Spare me with the "our homeless families, teens, mentally ill, and military veterans in the US" schtick too. Ya'll only "care" about them when you can use them as some reverse Uno card in these types of discussions.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Again... that is solely the fault of their parents, who put them into that situation. And again, why don't they try to move to one of the other South American countries instead?

Are you not aware of all the homeless living on the sidewalks and under the bridges in Southern California? And the rest of California up to Washington State? And what about all the homeless that just had to leave the national parks in Arizona due to the threat of wildfires?

Where are we supposed to put off of these illegals who think that they want to live in the US? WE HAVE NO LODGINGS OR WORK FOR THEM!!!!!!
Lots of people DO immigrate to South American countries!!!!

And its a crock that we don't have enough room or lodgings for people. A total COP OUT.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Who the heck is announcing that? Certainly not me, but that sounds like something a Democrat might do.

I don't want America to be first in anything. I'd much rather that title go to another country. And maybe then, all these illegals would stop trying to enter the US.
You honestly believe that immigrants only ever emigrate to America don't you? Wow.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How many? How many refugees had Mexico take in from its border?
As of 2016, 6,202 refugees and 2,647 asylum seekers.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:22 AM

29,596 posts, read 14,737,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Those who are arguing that it's cruel to separate the child from their parents and labeling USA as evil when these Illegals cross the border illegally is appalling.

If the child is being separated from their parent from a LEGAL immigrant and Citizens, THEN, you might have an argument. HOWEVER, these Illegals are crossing KNOWING and FOREWARNED that they will be separated should they try to cross ILLEGALLY. Even WITH the knowledge, they STILL try to cross ILLEGALLY.

So, the blame should be 100% on the Illegal parent border crosser. THEY are putting THEIR children in this awful torture. It's REALLY simple. Don't want to get seperated, DON'T CROSS the border ILLEGALLY, PERIOD.

Also, these kids that are in detention camps are being treated even BETTER then our homeless. They are being sheltered, fed and a given activities to do. Way MORE then what we should provide at taxpayers dollars. When we can use that same resources to help our own.

I'll be honest, it is tough seeing the reports on the news about this. And the news and politicians are using that to really tug on the heart strings of many of us.
The truth is, many of these families know exactly what they are doing and fully taking advantage of the situation, sadly because it is a better life here then there. The blame is definitely on the parents and the MX government.
How do we put an end to this though ? There really isn't a way with out looking like the "bad guys"

Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I think everyone who has a problem with this should open their homes up and take in the illegal families until their court date - they all go to court as a family and they are all deported at a family.

We also have no idea if these children are actually their children of if the adults are claiming this just to gain sympathy.
I actually did research on hosting refugees and asylum seekers in your home. There are very strict laws about who can do it. Its not as easy as saying, "Come on over and chill, fam."

Old 06-15-2018, 08:16 AM

36,634 posts, read 30,960,466 times
Quote:
Listening to NPR just now, a family of nine from Guatemala (there are grandparents and a SIL involved) are at the Mexican side of the bridge in Brownsville, TX, waiting to claim refugee status. And their reason? One or two of their teen sons have been threatened by a drug gang. IMO that's not enough reason for the whole family of nine to leave their country. If they have any ties to another country, then send the sons, but the rest of the family needs to stay in Guatemala.

IMO another instance of a family trying to use their children to gain entry into the US.

And we have drug gang violence in the US, what about our urban teens at risk? Shouldn't they be relocated to safety ahead of faux refugees in the same situation?
A while back on lady with kids in tow claimed asylum because her husband was abusive.
How many women and children in the US are victims of domestic violence? You don't seek asylum because your spouse is abusive.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,607,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
So we should let everyone in the world in that say they want Asylum. What a bunch of fools
They are all owed due process. In fact, law and treatites REQUIRES they have due process. If they don't qualify, obviously they are not admitted permanently into the country.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,293,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The Right of Asylum

"Following World War II, most nations in the world agreed to offer asylum to victims of persecution in order to prevent any repetition of the tragic fate of Jewish refugees caught up in the Nazi Holocaust. In 1951, the United Nations adopted the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees. This international treaty defined a refugee as someone with "a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion." According to the agreement (signed by the United States and codified in U.S. law in 1980), qualified refugees who can reach a "safe country" have the right to be given shelter and granted asylum in that country."
BRIA 10 2 c Seeking Asylum in the U.S. - Constitutional Rights Foundation
I am not disputing the right to asylum. I even made that distinction in my comment, they aren't recognized as asylum seekers... because they don't qualify. That little detail is pretty clear and important but you choose to be dense about it and keep churning this thing.

Let's get these givens out of the way:

Separating children from parents is bad.

When someone is arrested for breaking the law and are caught, they are arrested and taken to jail.

Children are not taken to jail.

Anyone can claim to be an asylum seeker.

Not all asylum seekers are recognized as qualified refugees.

Some of those asylum seekers, not qualified as refugees, choose to enter illegally.

Some asylum seekers probably never went through the correct process and choose to enter the country illegally.

Only parents entering illegally are arrested and have their children taken.

Qualified refugees entering the country are not separated from their children.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:22 AM

36,634 posts, read 30,960,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
BS. Parents are not "smuggling children". The international crime is what the USA is committing in not allowing the refugee claimant process the USA HAS AGREED TO IN INTERNATIONAL TREATIES.

Since when does the USA not abide by its treaties?

Oh yeah, since Trump. Do you think many western nations will ever trust the USA again? If you can elect one treaty breaker, what solace does any other country have that it won't happen again?
You bring a person across the border illegally or anything that is illegal across the border you are smuggling. That is the definition of smuggling.
When minors cross the border with adults we do not even know if the adults are their parents.
Where does it say the US must process every person asking asylum. Where does it say those awaiting refugee status must be housed by the US with their families?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies