Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" but here we are. 22 school shootings so far in 2018 alone."

I would NOT classify ALL 22 as a "shooting".

The again, this IS CNN!
April 9: Gloversville, New York

A student shot another student with a BB gun in Gloversville Middle School.

March 13: Seaside, California

A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.

March 8: Mobile, Alabama

One person was hospitalized after a shooting at an apartment building on the campus of the University of South Alabama.

March 7: Birmingham, Alabama

One student was killed and another critically wounded after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at Huffman High School. Police wouldn't elaborate further.

February 1: Los Angeles

A 15-year-old boy was shot in the head and a 15-year-old girl shot in the wrist at Sal Castro Middle School in Los Angeles, officials said. Two other students were grazed by bullets. A 12-year-old girl was booked for negligent discharge of a firearm in that shooting, which was considered "unintentional," Los Angeles police said.

Several of he 2 happend NOT IN THE SCHOOL ITSEL but at DORMS.
CNN clearly stated the qualifying factors -- including accidental discharge of a weapon, etc. They didn't mislead or misinform.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:52 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The detectors don't have to be ramped up to detect objects as small as a class ring and the security doesn't have to be looking for nail clippers.

But the problem with metal detectors is that it would be a bottleneck and result in a crowd or long line waiting to get through. And that is an even richer target environment.

You could have a simple pass-through checkpoint that would not impede entry and that would stop the rifles. No need for a metal detector to detect those.

"But the problem with metal detectors is that it would be a bottleneck and result in a crowd or long line waiting to get through."

There ARE schools that have had them for awhile and do NOT have this "perceived "problem.

We REALLY ARE smart enough to figue these "obstacles" out!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So Liberals dont want armed guards, no metal detectors, no arming teaches, no check point entry; just pass a law that angry suicidal kids bent on killing their peers will could care less about.

How can this possibly have any logic in it, boggles me.

When I was going to high school in California in the mid 90's, we had a fenced close campus with metal detectors with over 2000 students. I didn't see any problem going in and out of school. Students learn very quickly what items not to bring so they dont get pulled aside and frisked.

Just having these check points will deter shooters. Shooters cant simply come on campus unchecked unabated with long riffles, handguns, explosives, etc open doors and start shooting.

I think, gun grabbers could care less about kids lives - they just hate guns and the people who own them. Children's safety......who cares! Just as long as john doesn't have that gun i dont like.

"I think, gun grabbers could care less about kids lives -"

Exactly, ALL the want to do is ban guns, PERIOD.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
IS IT?

We still have people harming each other.

Didn't 9-11 and the immediate situations after that teach us anything? If someone really wants to, they will find a way.

So how do we stop them, how do we take away that motivation?
You can't. So what needs to happen is to make it as difficult as humanly possible to do so.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
So we have armed guards at every entrance and metal detectors.

There goes the wall -- we need to protect our kids first and worry about the wall later.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah... you'd need a ton of metal detectors AND armed guards to police every entry and exit point with all the larger campuses, mobile units, etc.

It's not really feasible. Schools already tend to have resource officers, so someone armed is on campus.

When you have people pulling fire alarms and the like, you make it so anything you do to stop a shooting can be easily thwarted by a person pulling a fire alarm, waiting outside, and shooting people as they exit.

"It's not really feasible."

It IS and IS being done and HAS BEN DONE FOR A WHILE in MANY schools .

I can't believe how utterly negative some of you can be.

Instead of LOOKING AT WHERE IT IS WORKING, you just make up excuse after excuse!

We hear, ALL THE TIME "sensible gun control" and when SENSIBLE things ARE BEING DONE, you ignore them!

Then you wonder why we do NOT listen to you!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
How much more are you willing to pay in taxes to have this happen?

"How much more are you willing to pay in taxes to have this happen?"

How much do think our kids are worth?

I GUARANTEE waste, fraud and abuse money can be found to fund these ideas.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My assumption is that teachers do not get paid enough to be armed and the odds of a teachers shooting an innocent student just went way up.

And... the odds of a student disarming a teacher are up there, too.

Schools are a bit chaotic at times. That's a huge responsibility when most of these shootings could be eliminated by making adults who legally own guns store them away from kids. And, if the kids get their hands on them, charge the adults because they are not taking good care of their guns.

That'd stop the majority of shootings. Would not have stopped the Parkland shooting, but most school shooters are not adults, so I'm all for a reduction right off the bat, then we work on reducing further, in whatever reasonable manner we can.

"My assumption is that teachers do not get paid enough to be armed and the odds of a teachers shooting an innocent student just went way up."

Just MORE things you know NOTHING about but want us to THINK you do!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The ban actually did help. Eric Harris mentioned it in his journal (or maybe recorded it on tape) that he wanted assault weapons but could not get any since the ban was in place. Less regulation then may have meant more people dying.

FWIW, Columbine also had two guards. One was the SRO while the other for some reason was unarmed. Both were at a nearby fast food place getting lunch when the shooting happened.

"The ban actually did help." B.S.

"Eric Harris mentioned it in his journal (or maybe recorded it on tape) that he wanted assault weapons but could not get any since the ban was in place."

MORE B.S.

He COULD have gotten one if he really wanted to.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:07 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.
I don't suppose you see any irony in this link on a thread where some folks are calling for teachers to be armed, do you? In these case, the teacher accidentally shoots a student. Thank the Lord the student didn't die. Some safety class! It looks like Barney Fife may want to reconsider being a reserve officer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies