Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Even when the problem exists and is known, it still happens.....remember the last school shooter? Police called on him 30+ times? But the school wanted to be nicer to the kids...

It's 90+ degrees here in Alabama, walking through Wal-Mart...I see people in zipped up coats....weird, damn right...does not mean it does not happen.

However, I agree with you, but the mentality of todays adults and children of the "see something say something" is out the door, because if you do, then you're seen as the snitch, racist, homophobic...or just put any words you want here_________.....

Remember the shooting in California, the neighbors said they thought something was suspicious but did not want to say anything just because of what I stated above.

"But the school wanted to be nicer to the kids..."

Wasn't ah an Executive Order from Obama?

Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 AM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
How many have been killed outside a court room?

That said, if all schools had a single point of entry, metal detectors would likely be more useful INSIDE the school. Once a fire alarm gets pulled, all bets are off.
I know these things can happen outside a school. My point is schools have a duty to ensure a safe working environment. And I’ve always said some kid could do something outside of school with planning, but this would have an inhibiting effect. I can’t think of any other thing besides less media attention (probably impossible).

Old 05-21-2018, 10:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
"We need prevention's. Threatening to charge parents isn't good enough. We need mechanisms in place just in case the kid gets into their parents gun safe."

How about just requiring police surv cams in everyones house? That way police can see what everyone is doing before these things happen, just imagine all the other crimes and violence that could be prevented if citizens were monitored and recorded 24/7, everywhere they go?

Old 05-21-2018, 10:27 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
oh, excuse me!

that was Ronald Reagan's bright idea!

you probably weren't born yet when that happened, so you wouldn't know.
It used to be that a citizen could petition a court to have someone committed to a mental institution, and the court could grant such committment if enough valid evidence was presented.

This changed in the 1960s and 70s.

In 1967 two Democrats and a Republican in California's state legislature came up with the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act, designed to end INVOLUNTARY commitments of mentally ill, alcoholic, etc. people into large mental institutions. The LPS Act was hailed by liberals all over the country as putting an end to eeevil government practices of dictating to helpless victims where they would go and what treatments they would get whether they liked it or not. It was overwhelmingly passed by California's Assembly and Senate, and finally signed by Governor Ronald Reagan in 1967. Similar laws were quickly passed all over the country, advocated mostly by liberal groups and do-gooders.

The liberal ACLU kept pushing this agenda to get these patients out of mental institutions, and finally resulted in 1975 (coincidentally Reagans' last year as Governor) in the U.S. Supreme Court handing down a decision in O'Connor vs. Donaldson (422 US 563). This Court decision announced a new Constitutional right: The mentally ill could not be forced to stay in such institutions if they were not an actual threat to others. This opened the floodgates and let huge numbers of patients, in various degrees of helplessness (and evil intent such as potential mass shooters), out of the institutions.

When it was discovered that these laws and court decisions had the effect of putting many people who could not, in fact, take care of themselves (and who might even grab a gun, go into a school, and start randomly shooting people) out on the street, the liberals did a fast 180, hastily forgot about their long, enthusiastic nationwide advocacy and support of the agenda, and invented a completely new accusation: That it was Ronald Reagan alone who had "kicked all those poor people out of their nice, safe hospitals and made them homeless".

From Wikipedia:

The Lanterman–Petris–Short (LPS) Act (Cal. Welf & Inst. Code, sec. 5000 et seq.) concerns the involuntary civil commitment to a mental health institution in the State of California. The act set the precedent for modern mental health commitment procedures in the United States. It was co-authored by California State Assemblyman Frank Lanterman (R) and California State Senators Nicholas C. Petris (D) and Alan Short (D), and signed into law in 1967 by Governor Ronald Reagan. The Act went into full effect on July 1, 1972. It cited seven articles of intent:

•To end the inappropriate, indefinite, and involuntary commitment of mentally disordered persons, people with developmental disabilities, and persons impaired by chronic alcoholism, and to eliminate legal disabilities;

•To provide prompt evaluation and treatment of persons with serious mental disorders or impaired by chronic alcoholism;

•To guarantee and protect public safety;

•To safeguard individual rights through judicial review;

•To provide individualized treatment, supervision, and placement services by a conservatorship program for gravely disabled persons;

•To encourage the full use of all existing agencies, professional personnel and public funds to accomplish these objectives and to prevent duplication of services and unnecessary expenditures;

•To protect mentally disordered persons and developmentally disabled persons from criminal acts.

The Act in effect ended all hospital commitments by the judiciary system, except in the case of criminal sentencing, e.g., convicted sexual offenders, and those who were "gravely disabled", defined as unable to obtain food, clothing, or housing [Conservatorship of Susan T., 8 Cal. 4th 1005 (1994)]. It did not, however, impede the right of voluntary commitments. It expanded the evaluative power of psychiatrists and created provisions and criteria for holds.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Hey genius, the examples you cite actually undermine your case. There was no indication that the children's lives were threatened. You do not have the right to kill someone just for breaking into your house. Even under Missouri's new "stand your ground" law, you must have a reasonable cause to believe your life is in danger to use deadly force.

"
The burglary suspect was identified by authorities as Lamar Brown, 31. His rap sheet includes six felony drug charges and an unlawful carrying of a weapon charge.
Related: Man Arrested After Home Invasion in Which 11-Year-Old Killed Teen Intruder
His alleged partner, Ira Bennett, also 31, was apprehended and charged with first-degree burglary and possession of a weapon during a violent crime. He made a court appearance Wednesday."

Well "genius", MAYBE you should actually READ BEFORE mouthing OFF and making a fool of yourself!

How is someone to KNOW if the burglar IS armed or not?

Should the kid have waited until they break into the house and announce "I GAVE GUN"?

Or wait til the 2 of them POINT their GUNS AT HIM?

"It s better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6"!

I guess in your sick world ypu would feel BETTER if these kids were shot and killed!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:38 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
giving in, compromising with govt, for safety reasons.
Yeah, since we've never compromised with the government for safety reasons before.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Metal detectors good idea -- but in schools where there are 4000 kids -- that line up to go through the metal detectors, emptying their pockets.....putting their book bags. Now e are talking TSA kind of security.

"but in schools where there are 4000 kids"

Excuses, excuses, excuse!

Did you ever THINK there MIGHT BE MORE THEN ONE DOOR to enter schools and MULTIPLE metal detectors COULD BE EMPLOYED.

I take it back, you DON'T think at all!?

Old 05-21-2018, 10:45 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
All that security would take a large amount of money, so if done, please add a special tax to those with kids enrolled like they add to those who purchase airline tickets, do not be coming to me and increase my property taxes for it.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, and? I think it sucks, but here we are. 22 school shootings so far in 2018 alone. They can have several entrances with metal detectors. At the Harris County courthouse there are entrances from the front, back, and the tunnel system that runs underground between buildings in downtown Houston. All of the entrances have metal detectors. And there are probably more than 4,000 people going in there everyday. People adjust.

" but here we are. 22 school shootings so far in 2018 alone."

I would NOT classify ALL 22 as a "shooting".

The again, this IS CNN!
April 9: Gloversville, New York

A student shot another student with a BB gun in Gloversville Middle School.

March 13: Seaside, California

A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.

March 8: Mobile, Alabama

One person was hospitalized after a shooting at an apartment building on the campus of the University of South Alabama.

March 7: Birmingham, Alabama

One student was killed and another critically wounded after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at Huffman High School. Police wouldn't elaborate further.

February 1: Los Angeles

A 15-year-old boy was shot in the head and a 15-year-old girl shot in the wrist at Sal Castro Middle School in Los Angeles, officials said. Two other students were grazed by bullets. A 12-year-old girl was booked for negligent discharge of a firearm in that shooting, which was considered "unintentional," Los Angeles police said.

Several of he 2 happend NOT IN THE SCHOOL ITSEL but at DORMS.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"but in schools where there are 4000 kids"

Excuses, excuses, excuse!

Did you ever THINK there MIGHT BE MORE THEN ONE DOOR to enter schools and MULTIPLE metal detectors COULD BE EMPLOYED.

I take it back, you DON'T think at all!?
So you are asking for metal detectors at all the doors?
That would work?

And still would have 'lines'......

You just would.

Have you been at a high school lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies