Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 06:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Most high schoolers are committing these with mom or dad’s guns.

I think that’s an easy pipeline to shut down.
Charge them!

Old 05-21-2018, 07:37 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's not a left or right thing. It's a parent thing. Human beings are hard-wired to protect their young, and the one thing that unites both sides of this argument is the overwhelming desire to prevent our children from suffering harm. School shootings terrify us because we are separated from our children for a significant part of the day while they are in class. We trust that environment to be safe, and when it's not, it rouses our most primitive selves. Parents are capable of extraordinary acts when their children are threatened.
Yes, exactly!

Old 05-21-2018, 08:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
I notice something. Nobody on here is advocating profiling possible shooters. Is it because "real" Americans will never profile their own?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I notice something. Nobody on here is advocating profiling possible shooters. Is it because "real" Americans will never profile their own?
I can tell you that in the case of the shooting at one of our local high schools, the young man who did it was on the radar of the SRO, the security team, and the high school counseling staff. Unfortunately, both he and a young woman he shot both died. Profiling is useless unless it leads to concrete preventative actions, and that's a path littered with legal landmines.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post

I don't think anyone here would oppose such profiling. I think it is assumed that everyone is looking for the signs.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We protect our military bases, airports, banks, and George Soros' house by people with guns and you hardly see a mass shooting at those venues.

But concerts, schools, movie theaters, churches have little to no security which makes it an easy target for mass shooters.

Maybe it's time we need more armed guards or more open carry permits.

For further reading
The Pagourtzis massacre appears to be a very rare case where the person had not exhibited severe mental illness. As for armed guards, very few people actually die in school shootings. Less students, much less students, die that way than driving or injured by cars driven by other teens. Time to get a sense of proportion.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Charge them!
I’m good with that.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In that case, the security checkpoints would need to be at the entrances to campus. It would be expensive as you'd probably have to construct a waiting area, security structure, and long walkway from there to actual buildings. It would depend on the specific layout.
Most of the larger suburban high schools have a huge campus. My high school wasn't that large but did have several buildings. And a regulation sized small football stadium plus a practice field which was even larger. As well as a city street that intersected at one edge of the campus plus a parking lot.

Enclosing all that would cost. A lot. Most local communities just don't have the money, many of them have a tough enough time even paying the staffs at the schools. And to do this nationwide? Forget it.

A more practical and cheaper solution is to simply implement strict gun controls. As a starter, and then go from there.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...t-two-schools/

Mas, is one of the top firearm's educators in the country

Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/...t-two-schools/

Mas, is one of the top firearm's educators in the country
He is not a top educator of high school students and I think that his editorial perspective is flawed.

I'm all for having resource officers in schools, but teachers don't get paid enough to play cop while they teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies