Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Most of the larger suburban high schools have a huge campus. My high school wasn't that large but did have several buildings. And a regulation sized small football stadium plus a practice field which was even larger. As well as a city street that intersected at one edge of the campus plus a parking lot.

Enclosing all that would cost. A lot. Most local communities just don't have the money, many of them have a tough enough time even paying the staffs at the schools. And to do this nationwide? Forget it.

A more practical and cheaper solution is to simply implement strict gun controls. As a starter, and then go from there.

The cost of security is too much to prevent 20 or 30 kids from getting killed?

Gun controls will not stop the shootings. Maybe in 100 years. There are just too many already out there. That is absolutely not a practical solution.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The cost of security is too much to prevent 20 or 30 kids from getting killed?

Gun controls will not stop the shootings. Maybe in 100 years. There are just too many already out there. That is absolutely not a practical solution.
A lot of communities don't have the money to enclose several city blocks for a high school campus. They just don't. It would take property tax increases over and above the normal increases which are difficult in themselves to get passed. And those additional increases won't pass, simple as that.

Gun controls and access would be a start. With more of these massacres (and there will be), the controls will be implemented.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We protect our military bases, airports, banks, and George Soros' house by people with guns and you hardly see a mass shooting at those venues.

But concerts, schools, movie theaters, churches have little to no security which makes it an easy target for mass shooters.

Maybe it's time we need more armed guards or more open carry permits.

For further reading
Armed guards cost money.
So where does the money come from?

According to this government agency, there are about 98,000 schools in the United States.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=84

Every school has at least 3 doors. So at least 3 guards per school will needed.
3x98,000= 294,000 guards.

How much should a reliable guard be paid? How about the same as a teacher?
That's around $45,000 a year. So the guards will cost $13,230,000,000.00 per year.

Who pays for public school costs? The local taxpayers and/or the county and/or the state.
So dividing up that extra money by 50(states)= $264,000,000 on average. Yearly. That's an additional tax burden onto what the locals are already paying in their taxes.

And we haven't even counted all the private schools, church-owned schools, handicapped and special schools, junior colleges, community colleges, state colleges, private colleges, technical schools, adult education centers, and all the other types of schools that exist.

Do we pay for guards at doors at all of them, too? After all, a person's child is still their child when they are college age, aren't they?

So- where will the money come from? Who gets protected and who does not?

And since several of the largest mass shootings haven't even been on school grounds, and at least one big shooting was done outside, targeting students outside, walking from one class to another, what's to stop a mass shooter from choosing a stadium as a target once the school is protected? Any public auditorium? Or even a bus yard or pickup center?

It all sounds very simple until a person starts thinking about it seriously. But the fact is our schools are just the latest popular target for mass shooters, and have never been the only targets. Churches, government offices of all kinds, concerts, sports events, restaurants, and even camping spots have all suffered large mass shootings.

Even if we are willing to pay the costs of guards to protect our schools, the mass shootings won't stop. The shooters will just find easier targets. They already have, many times.

Who decides which victim is worth more than another? Is a child more valuable than the child's parents? Is someone's Grandmother less valuable than her grandchild?

The youngest victims of mass shootings have been unborn children. The oldest, so far, was a 98-year old lady, who was shot to death along with a bunch of others in a bar. She didn't drink, but she still loved to play pool and attended a tournament where many others died with their pool cues in their hands.

How do we protect them? And who will pay for their protection?

And don't forget that many of the mass shooting occurred in places that were guarded.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:43 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Perhaps the question should be rephrased as :
Do we want to be dependent upon armed guards, or do we prefer being armed, ourselves?

Whenever "professionals" take over protection, they tend to frown upon "amateurs" butting in.

As to those who are "afraid of scary guns" and seek universal disarmament, perhaps they will change their minds after surviving an assault by a "scary" assailant. Few, if any victims, prefer to be disarmed and helpless, if given the choice.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Perhaps the question should be rephrased as :
Do we want to be dependent upon armed guards, or do we prefer being armed, ourselves?

Whenever "professionals" take over protection, they tend to frown upon "amateurs" butting in.

As to those who are "afraid of scary guns" and seek universal disarmament, perhaps they will change their minds after surviving an assault by a "scary" assailant. Few, if any victims, prefer to be disarmed and helpless, if given the choice.
why would you be armed yourself? Is that necessary to do that to go to the grocery, to buy gas, mail a package at the post office? Have we reached the point we can't go to a ball game, buy a pair of shoes, walk our dogs? Do we live in constant fear that some joker at a red light will shoot us if he thinks we made a wrong move?

I am not that paranoid to feel the need to arm myself whenever I step out the front door. And most people aren't. Why do you feel that need? How many have you had to shoot on the way to the store?

Old 05-22-2018, 01:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
why would you be armed yourself? Is that necessary to do that to go to the grocery, to buy gas, mail a package at the post office? Have we reached the point we can't go to a ball game, buy a pair of shoes, walk our dogs? Do we live in constant fear that some joker at a red light will shoot us if he thinks we made a wrong move?

I am not that paranoid to feel the need to arm myself whenever I step out the front door. And most people aren't. Why do you feel that need? How many have you had to shoot on the way to the store?

Let me explain why one carries a gun as much as they legally can. As civilians, we are expected to avoid the places where we expect we shall need a gun.

If one has to shoot someone, they should expect to end up in court. One does not want the opposing counsel to be able to show premeditation.

Ie, something like this: "So, Ms. Ounce, on the day you shot my client's son, you feared him. You strapped on your gun, something you don't normally do, so when you met him, you could shoot him." That may not quite be how it worked out, but it may be an interpretation that the jury accepts.

So, one carries a gun as part of standard, every day equipment. One day is like any other. We do not expect to use the gun that day or any other day. Just that if something should happen, we have it there to defend ourselves.

So, two things.

First, you want to change this odd factor of logic in society? Change it so we can't be attacked, found at fault like that in court.

Secondly, I do believe it is not legal to carry a gun into a post office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I notice something. Nobody on here is advocating profiling possible shooters. Is it because "real" Americans will never profile their own?

Well, a thing or two or three about profiling. First of all, profiling cannot confirm a diagnosis. A profile alone cannot put someone in jail.

Secondly, consider all the things that society thinks indicates a person is about to be a shooter......and then how those things can apply to them and they can apply to others. "Thousands of rounds", for example. Remember this?
PA: Exchange Student Arrested... Possessed 1,600 Rounds of Ammo
1600 rounds to a lot of honest shooters is nothing.

Finally, let me tell you a real story. A man comes through customs. He is 5'11', lean and fit, tanned olive skin, crew cut, perhaps mid 50s. He is wearing tween trousers, wing tips, a plaid shirt. At customs, he puts down bags to be checked but not a ruck sack. This behavior allows custom agents to use his appearance in a profile as a senior level field lieutenant in the drug trade.

They take him into an office and "Our identification, Sir.", showing him their IDs. He smiles and holds up his, "My identification, Sirs.".......Major General, US Army (infantry). He didn't put down the ruck sack because it was filled with his cameras.

This is just one example but I have also heard that the appearance of senior criminals can also apply to ...... senior police officers.

Profiling drug boats is lot easier than profiling people.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-22-2018 at 01:40 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 01:57 AM

But why in this world does someone feel the need to carry a weapon everywhere they go. Assuming that they don't live in some place not safe to be outside after dark. I've seen people that do in very, very nice neighborhoods and, in a way, they look like idiots. Why do they feel the need? It isn't normal, its paranoia waiting...

And yes, you aren't suppose to carry a weapon in the post office but you aren't suppose to shoot people either.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
But why in this world does someone feel the need to carry a weapon everywhere they go. Assuming that they don't live in some place not safe to be outside after dark. I've seen people that do in very, very nice neighborhoods and, in a way, they look like idiots. Why do they feel the need? It isn't normal, its paranoia waiting....

I just explained it to you to why......we carry because we expect one day to be like any other. We carry because as civilians, we are expected to avoid the places where we expect we need a gun. We carry because we don't want the opposing counsel, in the law suit that will occur if we have to shoot, to be able to show premeditation.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:32 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I just explained it to you to why......we carry because we expect one day to be like any other. We carry because as civilians, we are expected to avoid the places where we expect we need a gun. We carry because we don't want the opposing counsel, in the law suit that will occur if we have to shoot, to be able to show premeditation.
So...carry daily in order to establish plausible deniability, in case you need to kill someone?

Old 05-22-2018, 03:35 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
So...carry daily in order to establish plausible deniability, in case you need to kill someone?
No, in case I need to defend myself with lethal force. I don't want to kill anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies