Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There can be measurements and accountability. I agree that we don't and those who refuse to make this a part of any process makes it very difficult to argue for something like this.

This can be and often times is true but it does not have to be. It is up to those who would like to see something like this to insist and demand accountability.

I can not explain why so few do.
The likely answer is that it is an impossible dream.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:05 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We protect our military bases, airports, banks, and George Soros' house by people with guns and you hardly see a mass shooting at those venues.

But concerts, schools, movie theaters, churches have little to no security which makes it an easy target for mass shooters.

Maybe it's time we need more armed guards or more open carry permits.

For further reading
This just happens to be the only available solution that could pretty much eliminate school shootings NOW. Every other solution would take decades or even centuries to have much of an impact.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
This just happens to be the only available solution that could pretty much eliminate school shootings NOW. Every other solution would take decades or even centuries to have much of an impact.
There are really very few deaths in school shootings. Certainly not enough to turn the entire country into an armed camp.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:47 AM

59,110 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I waited to respond to this. Trying to treat "root causes" invariably leads to creation of a large social work bureaucracy. That bureaucracy cannot be held accountable because results are essentially not subject to measurement or evaluation. The tendency, in other words, is for the money to be "flushed down the toilet." Or at least that is the perception.

The people whose idea it is to set up such an agency are usually quite bright and dedicated. As one hires further down the food chain, the tendency is to get careerists who are there for a paycheck. Solving the "root causes" of violence is the least of their concerns.

Have we EVER seen a fed agency DECREASE in size and scope?

Have we EVER seen a fed agency INCREASE in size and scope?

Only EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Have we EVER seen a fed agency DECREASE in size and scope?

Have we EVER seen a fed agency INCREASE in size and scope?

Only EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!
That, in a nutshell, is the problem with attacking "root causes." You never see results and the results, if any, are foreseeably hard to measure. Basically a bottomless pit.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
The likely answer is that it is an impossible dream.
Our alternatives aren't working much better.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It has already been proven over and over. It is your job as an individual to protect yourself. It is not my job. It is not the law enforcement, it isn't even GODs job.

Relying on someone else to protect you, is a false sense of security that the slaves relied upon.
NO ONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR PROPERTY BUT YOU!

I have to ask, when did you become a "person"?
Conception, birth, age 10, age 18, age 21 age 35?????
Just think how abortions would go, if fetuses had a 2nd amendment.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Our alternatives aren't working much better.
This is an emotional rather than practical issue, see:
Quote:
There are really very few deaths in school shootings. Certainly not enough to turn the entire country into an armed camp.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I know a lot of teachers. I don't know any who want to carry guns in the classroom."

And?

I know a lot of teaches also and many have NO problem with it.

Why do you think becuae you know few that don't want it should stop those that do?

Again you are making HUGE assumptions.

MANY TEACHERS HAVE COME OUT STATING THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM CARRYING.

SOME HAVE COME OUT SAYING THEY CURRENTLY DO CARRY

I will type real slow so you can understand.

NOBODY IS BEING FORCED TO CARRY IF THE DON'T WANT TO.

So STOP with "i know it all attitude!
So you "know" a lot of Teachers. Have you ever been in a real school lock down? I have twice in Florida with with armed criminals on campus grounds. First time, locking Pre-Schoolers into a classroom bathroom. just like in Sandy Hook.

After Sandy Hook, a Florida legislator proposed arming Teachers. Oh, yeah, this discussion went around the school. This Elementary school had 600 students. Only 2 Teachers (young and male) said they would volunteer to be armed. We already had ONE armed Deputy at the school. So THREE is enough? Why not more after experiencing at real lockdown? Vast majority did NOT think it would be a good idea. I am not going to tell you what was said by Teachers to those other Teachers who wanted to be armed. Besides which, do PARENTS of the students have any say in this? The vast majority of the parents in this school district were OPPOSED to arming Teacher/Staff.

You may not like this but you are in the minority view of Teachers and Parents on this issue. For what it is worth, I am the wife of 40 years of a gun owning husband. HIS guns were always locked up in a combination safe around our own children growing up, and around ME. If guns can be locked up in my own household, I have to work around Armed Teachers too?

Old 05-24-2018, 02:14 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So you "know" a lot of Teachers. Have you ever been in a real school lock down? I have twice in Florida with with armed criminals on campus grounds. First time, locking Pre-Schoolers into a classroom bathroom. just like in Sandy Hook.

After Sandy Hook, a Florida legislator proposed arming Teachers. Oh, yeah, this discussion went around the school. This Elementary school had 600 students. Only 2 Teachers (young and male) said they would volunteer to be armed. We already had ONE armed Deputy at the school. So THREE is enough? Why not more after experiencing at real lockdown? Vast majority did NOT think it would be a good idea. I am not going to tell you what was said by Teachers to those other Teachers who wanted to be armed. Besides which, do PARENTS of the students have any say in this? The vast majority of the parents in this school district were OPPOSED to arming Teacher/Staff.

You may not like this but you are in the minority view of Teachers and Parents on this issue. For what it is worth, I am the wife of 40 years of a gun owning husband. HIS guns were always locked up in a combination safe around our own children growing up, and around ME. If guns can be locked up in my own household, I have to work around Armed Teachers too?
Do you have another solution? I mean a realistic one. You are not going to get guns banned. So don't start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies