Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 04:26 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,124,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
In a word, no.

Next?
Thank you.

There are a lot of women who excuse women harassing men. Glad you're not one of them.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:36 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,881,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is a minor thing, the man need to be reprimanded by the woman or management, not charged with a crime, sheesh, let's grow up. We're tuning into a creepy police state and women are so fragile they can't handle the smallest issues. Men are not far behind, they want to call police if some guy gets in their face instead of being a man and handling it.
I'm far from a feminist and heartily agree with the last sentence of your post BUT.

This dirty old man thing, where ugly old guys who have zero appeal to women feel the need to prove they "still got it" by doing this kind of crap is pathetic and sickening.

Old guys think they can get away with it because they're old. My 18 y/o works at Sears (while in HS, about to graduate) and is flirted with by OLD guys very often and she wants to puke when it happens.

Why these geezers think young gals welcome their attention is beyond me; I'm an old bag and even I wouldn't welcome their ridiculous attempts to prove something to themselves.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:37 PM

175 posts, read 279,624 times
Good. I also hope this news spreads far and wide..whether it is an isolated slap-on-the-butt at Denny's, or systemic sexual abuse á la Harvey Weinstein, I believe the press makes people reconsider what otherwise may be dismissed as poor attempts at flirting or humor..which can collectively lead to progress.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:38 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
These people know that the probability of a waitress "not minding" if a customer slaps her on the but is ZERO. .
Whether she minds or does not mind, the offending person should simply not do it, out of simple, common courtesy. Simple respect for others.

That waitress is someone's daughter, sister, and SO. Think of how you would feel if your sister, daughter, mother, or SO were that waitress.

I am a firm believer that what we will not do is what most defines our character.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:40 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,909,846 times
Quote:
It is a minor thing, the man need to be reprimanded by the woman or management, not charged with a crime, sheesh, let's grow up. We're tuning into a creepy police state and women are so fragile they can't handle the smallest issues. Men are not far behind, they want to call police if some guy gets in their face instead of being a man and handling it.
Why is the concept of keeping one's hands to themselves so difficult to understand? Men and women.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I disagree. I want him embarrassed, worried about his time in criminal court, having to get a lawyer, etc.

He will not repeat this behavior ever.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:59 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Thank you.

There are a lot of women who excuse women harassing men. Glad you're not one of them.
Of course I'm not. One of the first things I learned in life was to keep my hands to myself.

However...and this is kind of a sensitive issue, but please bear with me, and read all I have to say before responding.

I think a large part of the responsibility for this double standard lies with men. Not all men, but some men.

There have been quite a few stories posted here about women, usually teachers, who seduced and essentially raped their much younger male students. The replies tend to fall into a few camps, one of the most noticeable being men who say they wish they'd had a teacher like that, so long as the woman involved was sufficiently young and pretty. I have seen very, very few women on here claim that this behavior is acceptable. These men do not view the boys as being victims - they believe, or claim to believe, that they are lucky.

Do you see how this is not terribly helpful?

On to the issue of domestic abuse. I have met and interviewed victims of such abuse, and they nearly always feel a lot of shame. Now, take that and add to it the fact that, in current culture, for a man to be physically bested by a woman makes him a joke, particularly among other men. Abuse is always horrible, but it must be even worse if, by disclosing the fact of being abused, you will be labeled by your peers as a "wuss" or a "****."

It is not my wish to excuse women who feel that it's okay to treat men as objects, but I do believe, rather strongly, that the issue will not be taken seriously until men, in general, treat it as a serious issue themselves.

I realize that may sound like an excuse, or even a lot of excuses, but it's pretty discouraging to talk about how an adult should never exploit a child, regardless of gender, only to have a bunch of people pile on and talk about how screwing the hot new teacher is every boy's dream.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
So, what do you call "being a man?" Getting into a fistfight?

Old 05-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

It is not my wish to excuse women who feel that it's okay to treat men as objects, but I do believe, rather strongly, that the issue will not be taken seriously until men, in general, treat it as a serious issue themselves.
Most men do.

In rape cases, defense attorneys want as many women on a jury as possible, prosecutors want as many men as possible. Women are the only ones who will care how she was dressed, or about her sexual history. The more a defense lawyer talks of that, the more he will lose any shot with male jurors.

Men see this slapped lady as potentially the same victim a female sibling could easily be. That is why men usually lead the charge to fry perps.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Whether she minds or does not mind, the offending person should simply not do it, out of simple, common courtesy. Simple respect for others.

That waitress is someone's daughter, sister, and SO. Think of how you would feel if your sister, daughter, mother, or SO were that waitress.

I am a firm believer that what we will not do is what most defines our character.
I agree with what you have said, with one small reservation, and it may be a rather subtle one.

The waitress's right to be free from uninvited touch has nothing to do with her relationships. It is the result of her being human, and that is all. The question should not be "how would I feel if someone did this to MY sister/daughter/mother/SO," but "how would I feel if someone did this to ME."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies