Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,236,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
We have (many times) and destroyed the enemy militarily. Rationally, the US is unbeatable in a conventional war.

The bigger issue is what if the US doesn't come.

(Russia is hardly laughing, the current plan is to surround the country with antiballistic missiles that will essentially render it's nuclear deterrence vastly reduced.

The US challenges China in the South China Sea by sailing through its claimed territory. I don't think Japan even dares to do that little.)

The problem is wars are no longer conventional. We had to leave Vietnam with our tails tucked between our legs and almost tore our own country apart in the process of meddling in another. In the middle east, the first gulf war has been the only endeavor we can declare a success. And the new front for domination won't be matching soldier for soldier but terrorism, cyber security and destabilizing markets. I think he is evil but Putin will master those tactics to a T. And we can sail whatever boat we want across the South China Sea- they are still building islands.

And I will agree with seemingly 75% of posters on China being a big threat across the board. Far too many previous administrations and corporations have sold their souls for access to cheap labor and developing markets in China. Our longer term hope on that front is that their continued growth begins to tax their capabilities and other SE Asian countries become desirable for manufacturing and trade. Of course we'll be left out of much of that growth by backing out of the last Pacifica trade pact...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM

230 posts, read 115,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
oh please

You mean like how George Washington "stood up for himself" Against King George III?

Show me where its written that Russia is our enemy...Last I checked, Russia still has an embassy in DC...As we do in Moscow..why would we if we were enemies?

Yeah that Justin Trudeau is just exactly like King George III LOL

Really now, do I have to tell you that doesn't even compare to our ALLY!

Russia may not be an enemy, but they are not an ally to us. Since when are countries that threaten us with nuclear war our friends and our actual allies are treated as enemies? I'm sure you can see that makes no sense.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,236,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Playing nice with our allies helped cause the rust belt to happen.

Not interested in repeating the mistakes of the past.
The end of the cold war, rise of computing, advances in automation/robotics/industrial engineering, and end of us being the only world power not gutted by WWII also helped end the rust belt. As did a rise in manufacturing in the South. Those jobs were not swapped position for position with foreign countries- half of them went away simply from technology. And many manufacturers are choosing to move to smaller facilities spread throughout the country as opposed to plopping them all down between just south of the Great Lakes between Rochester and Milwaukee.

Trusting that high school graduates would have 60-70k a year jobs for 20-30 years at a time and head off into the sunset with another 30 years of pension and health benefits was one of the mistakes.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The problem is wars are no longer conventional. We had to leave Vietnam with our tails tucked between our legs and almost tore our own country apart in the process of meddling in another. In the middle east, the first gulf war has been the only endeavor we can declare a success. And the new front for domination won't be matching soldier for soldier but terrorism, cyber security and destabilizing markets. I think he is evil but Putin will master those tactics to a T. And we can sail whatever boat we want across the South China Sea- they are still building islands.

And I will agree with seemingly 75% of posters on China being a big threat across the board. Far too many previous administrations and corporations have sold their souls for access to cheap labor and developing markets in China. Our longer term hope on that front is that their continued growth begins to tax their capabilities and other SE Asian countries become desirable for manufacturing and trade. Of course we'll be left out of much of that growth by backing out of the last Pacifica trade pact...

Indeed. The US spends so much money on its military, but at the end of the day, pretty much in vain because there won't be wars between big countries anymore.

But I don't consider China a threat at all, to the contrary, it is a welcome and much needed counterweight as long as the EU doesn't assume its superpower status due to internal rivalries and egoism. Except for the disputed islands (a conflict which it could easily solve directly with its Asian neighbors), China is a pretty peaceful country, much more so than the US for instance. China is only a threat to countries that don't like change and desperately try to hold on to their privileges.
I don't see anything wrong with developing countries such as China using their low labor costs in order to attract manufacturing. By the time the multinational parasites move to their next prey, China will be developed enough. That whole greed and productivity idea has come from the West to begin with. So why blame others who know how to exploit that to their own advantage?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:22 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,855,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
That's exactly why Trump labeled Trudeau. He said one thing in private and another in public. Finally, a president who understands that. Finally...
How do you know Trudeau said anything different in private?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:26 PM

20,839 posts, read 17,152,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
How do you know Trudeau said anything different in private?
Trump and his team were clear about that Trudeau in private was grins....then he held a press conference.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:30 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,855,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Trump and his team were clear about that Trudeau in private was grins....then he held a press conference.
Ah there is the problem, you believe Trump even though he lies repeatedly and blatantly.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:45 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Ah there is the problem, you believe Trump even though he lies repeatedly and blatantly.
The Canadian does indeed not have a reputation for lying and making crazy u-turns, he is consistent, firm, and direct, albeit it in a friendly Canadian way. I wish we had someone like him over here, instead of the stupid Merkel b'tch...

Old 06-11-2018, 01:10 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,861,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Trump is not a corporate Tiger. He's actually making moves that can hurt many corporations- or force them to move production from the US to elsewhere.

*I* don't consider him a corporate tiger. He's neither smart nor agile enough. But he certainly considers himself a corporate tiger. But, yes, I suspect there WILL be corporations that move their operations outside the US.

Trump was in way over his head at the G7, as he has been since Day 1 of his "presidency."

Old 06-11-2018, 01:19 PM

16,141 posts, read 10,822,896 times
Removing him from office would be the greatest gift the nation, or the GOP, could receive because he is hell bent on destroying both. If not, the Dems will have to pick up the pieces. Just a question of when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies