Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,617,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We'll get right on that and draw a big red line right down the center of the great lakes and St Lawrence River.
Painting the one around Vancouver Island would be fun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 01:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,617,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
that seems to be odd, no one has come around to gather up and deport all of the pot smokers here in Colorado. I don't see how the US can say that people who partake in a legal activity in their own country cannot come into the US ever.

Now, I'm not saying there won't be huge repercussions for people trying to smuggle pot across the US/Canada border. In today's climate, you'd be an idiot to try. Then again, people leaving Colorado crossing the border into Kansas can find themselves in legal trouble too.

The CBC is usually pretty accurate reporting, but this seems to be somewhat sensationalized to me.
It is odd, but accurate. It is well known for people not to admit using cannabis when entering the US. I've had border guards ask me if I used cannabis.

Remember, it's not state law, but US federal law they are enforcing, so Colorado means nothing.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:50 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,623,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The requirement for Canadians to show a passport when entering the US began on June 1st. 2009.
^^^^^ Thanks for the info.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,332,840 times
How do we know she was French and what was she doing in Canada?

Old 06-24-2018, 02:36 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,125,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How do we know she was French and what was she doing in Canada?

She's a teenage citizen of France who is here in Canada for summer vacation visiting her mother who lives very close to the BC/WA border.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:47 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,535,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Great ad hominem there with the racist accusation.

Only one of those three was a proven accidental crossing. One was a stupid man with a gun in his vehicle willfully and obviously ignoring signage up the ying yang. Another was a couple of silly hikers crossing a border with an (for all intents and purposes) enemy country.

The third was an accidental crossing over the border with Canada.

"You people" won't be happy until you take every opportunity you can to alienate yourselves from all rationale imperatives.
If you had ever crossed into mexico by vehicle, you would realize that there are normally freeways with one lane marked for mexico. Once you accidentally enter that lane, there is nowhere for the next half mile into the crossing to turn around or pull over. I made that mistake in el paso. I had to cross into Mexico in order to turn around. If I had a CCP, I would have been screwed. You literally cannot turn around. The only way to get back is to continue across, past the border.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:55 PM

15,656 posts, read 10,435,750 times
I have crossed the border between texas and mexico more times than I can count. I've never been allowed to enter, "jog across the border", mexico from texas or vice versa without being stopped at the border by authorities from both countries.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,279,383 times
People really need to stop ignoring the facts. She was not at an identified border crossing. There was no fence. There was no marking. There was no sign that was visible. Pretending she willfully ignored these things and purposefully crossed the border is just made up strawmen to argue about.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:40 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,332,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
She's a teenage citizen of France who is here in Canada for summer vacation visiting her mother who lives very close to the BC/WA border.

You don't know any of that for sure. If I wanted to read the paper, I could have done so. In fact, your statement about her being on summer vacation is wrong.

"Ms Roman had been in Canada since September 2017, spending time with her mother and learning English."

Next question: What was her status while in Canada? I am not sure "learning English" qualifies you for a Canadian visa.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:48 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,761,934 times
I lived in multiple foreign countries for 20 years and never once accidentally crossed a border with no ID. Of course I have a modicum of common sense and an IQ above 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies