Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times

Advertisements

I hope immigration officials around the world treat Americans the same. Guilty until proven innocent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,411,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You are the one who used the term " everywhere else". What you're now saying is your point was totally irrelevant.

The entirety of the world is made up of countries with unique histories with a significant number of them having fought wars with each other and they have less fear of their neighbours today than Americans fear and vilify Canada.
May be this works better for you

" . . .it's nice and quaint that the border runs through some building. It's an individual case and not the rule. Everywhere else on the border between Canada and the US put up some sort of a physical barrier, that is appropriate for the circumstances. It does not need to be a 12 foot high wall. A railing is ok."

Canada is its own country. I respect that. Please respect the US and let's mark the border clearly to avoid misunderstandings.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Yes, things should clearly have been handled better, but I think you fail to recognize how inefficient bureaucracies are. The guys arresting her are probably not the one authorized to investigate. Probably their job that day is to watch the border and detain suspicious person, call for transport when they can't resolve it on the spot. They probably did. Someone else later looks at a report, and speaks to woman with French accent and no papers caught on the US side. That person may think terrorist attacks in France and the distance to resolve this gets longer and longer. It's the nature of what government does.
I'm prepared to agree that's a plausible explanation. As far as it applies to U.S. government employees answering to agencies like Homeland Security.

I'm glad my country has so far demonstrated handling of these situations in a far better manner.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Except that "Canadians" may turn out to be Somalis.

Ya think so? Maybe not.

"As of 2004, an estimated 25,000 Somalis lived in the US state of Minnesota, with the Twin Cities home to the largest population of Somalis in North America."

Old 06-23-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
May be this works better for you

" . . .it's nice and quaint that the border runs through some building. It's an individual case and not the rule. Everywhere else on the border between Canada and the US put up some sort of a physical barrier, that is appropriate for the circumstances. It does not need to be a 12 foot high wall. A railing is ok."

Canada is its own country. I respect that. Please respect the US and let's mark the border clearly to avoid misunderstandings.

We'll get right on that and draw a big red line right down the center of the great lakes and St Lawrence River.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Lol. This thread is full of a lot of nonsense.

Yours included.
indeed...Trumpian nonsense.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:25 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,535,357 times
It’s gong to be really interesting what happens at the border starting October 17 when pot becomes legal in Canada.

Cannabis and the border: what pot-smoking Canadians need to know | CBC News

Quote:
The government of Canada has started warning travellers on its website that "previous use of cannabis, or any substance prohibited by U.S. federal laws, could mean that you are denied entry to the U.S." Involvement in the legal cannabis industry in Canada could also be reason enough for border guards to deny entry.
Confessing to having LEGALLY smoked marijuana may be costly:

Quote:
Lorne Waldman, one of Canada's top immigration lawyers, said that while the cannabis question likely won't be asked of every Canadian cross-border traveller, it's reasonable to expect to hear it more often after Canada's legal marijuana market is in place.

"If somebody asks, then a Canadian could be barred for life. That's the situation we're confronted with now," he said.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Ok. She was irresponsible for not having her ID on her so near the border of another country. Why take the chance? Maybe she figured that US border laws are lax? Not any more.
Yeah sure thing except for one little thing, when her mother brought the girl's ID to the ICE detention center she was sent away and told they have to be verified by Canadian authorities which is beyond strange. I have been to a number of Countries and have never been told that I had to have the US state department verify my passport.

Maybe you don't see a problem with the way this was handled but I do

Old 06-23-2018, 09:35 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
It’s gong to be really interesting what happens at the border starting October 17 when pot becomes legal in Canada.

Cannabis and the border: what pot-smoking Canadians need to know | CBC News

Confessing to having LEGALLY smoked marijuana may be costly:
that seems to be odd, no one has come around to gather up and deport all of the pot smokers here in Colorado. I don't see how the US can say that people who partake in a legal activity in their own country cannot come into the US ever.

Now, I'm not saying there won't be huge repercussions for people trying to smuggle pot across the US/Canada border. In today's climate, you'd be an idiot to try. Then again, people leaving Colorado crossing the border into Kansas can find themselves in legal trouble too.

The CBC is usually pretty accurate reporting, but this seems to be somewhat sensationalized to me.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, things should clearly have been handled better, but I think you fail to recognize how inefficient bureaucracies are. The guys arresting her are probably not the one authorized to investigate. Probably their job that day is to watch the border and detain suspicious person, call for transport when they can't resolve it on the spot. They probably did. Someone else later looks at a report, and speaks to woman with French accent and no papers caught on the US side. That person may think terrorist attacks in France and the distance to resolve this gets longer and longer. It's the nature of what government does.
Her mother brought the papers, ICE rejected them. Why do you feel compelled to be an apologist for DHS in this case? What if it were your family member?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies