Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,411,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
'What kind of nonsense are you going on about? "Everywhere else" does no such thing. You can drive from the Netherlands into Germany and not even realize you've crossed a border and one of those countries invaded the other and damned near starved them all to death. There are any number of countries in Europe that you don't even slow down when crossing the line. Gads!

You're talking about a border between two allied nations who share an entire continent and huge amounts of trade with Canada being the single biggest customer for 38 U.S. States.

Let's keep it real.
Netherlands and Germany are irrelevant. They are EU nations, there is common parliament. The US and Canada are separate countries with significantly different histories.

The amount of trade is irrelevant. China is the US largest trading partner. I don't think anyone is proposing to let Chinese into the country without a border check. Canadians are still welcome, but let's clearly mark the border for everyone's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 09:04 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Anyone who is going to go jogging near the border and chooses to do so without any identification can't complain when border patrol has no way of identifying who or what she is. Terrorists and criminals don't announce their true status. My guess is that there were signs but she didn't pay attention to any of them.
I agree. I have a home in NY close to the Canadian border, and often my family and I go to Canada for a day, but it's just common sense to have our ID's on us at all times when in another country.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What evidence is there that she is "French?" They threw that in there to break the narrative. My mother would produce my papers in an hour, unless I didn't have any. There is a LOT that we don't know.
There is no law to 'carry your papers', and it appears that her mother attempted to provide her passport and study permits, here's what happened:

Quote:
When she reached the centre, she contacted her mother, Christiane Ferne, who quickly reached the centre with her passport and study permits - but the workers at the site said the documents would have to be verified by Canadian authorities.

She was held at the centre for two weeks before the matter was resolved and she was allowed to return to Canada.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...border-mexico/

So your mommy bringing you your papers wouldn't help because ICE decided they have to be 'verified'

Old 06-23-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Guilty of not having ID. That was proved. Unfortunate mistake but I'm glad that BP is on top of it.
Name the US law that requires you to carry proof of your citizenship with you, I'd never heard of that before...

Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
actually you simply do away with that border. Let Canadians crossover and live in the US and US citizens cross over and live in Canada. No big risk to either country. US citizens and Canadians are mostly interchangeable. Few would have any problem moving to the other side.

Have to work out some messy details like medical care. But mostly not a big deal.
Except that "Canadians" may turn out to be Somalis.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Netherlands and Germany are irrelevant. They are EU nations, there is common parliament. The US and Canada are separate countries with significantly different histories.

The amount of trade is irrelevant. China is the US largest trading partner. I don't think anyone is proposing to let Chinese into the country without a border check. Canadians are still welcome, but let's clearly mark the border for everyone's sake.
You are the one who used the term " everywhere else". What you're now saying is your point was totally irrelevant.

The entirety of the world is made up of countries with unique histories with a significant number of them having fought wars with each other and they have less fear of their neighbours today than Americans fear and vilify Canada.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:09 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,411,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There is no excuse under the sun in this day of instant communications that justifies her being detained for two weeks. Especially an excuse that attempts to deflect blame for common bully behaviour onto the Canadian side of the border.

Trying to justify this is just desperation.
Yes, things should clearly have been handled better, but I think you fail to recognize how inefficient bureaucracies are. The guys arresting her are probably not the one authorized to investigate. Probably their job that day is to watch the border and detain suspicious person, call for transport when they can't resolve it on the spot. They probably did. Someone else later looks at a report, and speaks to woman with French accent and no papers caught on the US side. That person may think terrorist attacks in France and the distance to resolve this gets longer and longer. It's the nature of what government does.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Sounds like an accident. Once they realized that she was not a threat, they should have let her go. Holding her for two weeks sounds unjust. If you are that incompetent that you can't tell that she was a teenager that crossed by accident in all of that time, you should be fired.
American incompetence.....that is why many are calling for a wall. Too stupid for anything requiring thought, half a brain

Old 06-23-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You don’t get it. The issue lies with Canada. They have to allow her to be readmitted to Canada, in the meantime the US is stuck with her until Canada agreed to allow her to return. As I have succinctly stated earlier, if BP took her to the border crossing Canada Border Services Agency CBSA would turn her back to the US since she has no documentation to support her story about her legal entry to Canada. The issue resides with Canada and until they say ok, the US was stuck with her.
Really? Where does it say that this was Canada's fault? Read the articles on this again, it states that ICE told her mother that Canada had to verify the documents before she could be released. Canada had no authority to remove her from the ICE detention facility

Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,848,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Name the US law that requires you to carry proof of your citizenship with you, I'd never heard of that before...
Ok. She was irresponsible for not having her ID on her so near the border of another country. Why take the chance? Maybe she figured that US border laws are lax? Not any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies