Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 10:57 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times

Advertisements

The border wasn't clear. She made a unknown mistake crossing the border. She was apprehended and detained for a lengthy period, and that is probably the biggest fault here.

Welcome to our world of fear. Logic gets tossed out the door these days, and instead hardlined measures are taken to "protect". Could somebody parade as an innocent jogger just to get illegal access into the U.S.? I suppose they could. I don't carry my ID when I run although I guess I should now.

The article says after crossing into the U.S. and taking a picture she was on her way back. I really think logic would see it was someone out for a run. She definitely should have been stopped. She definitely should have been spoken to. And she definitely should have been given some sort of citation (monetary or not) to reflect the job border patrol must do and a warning to her. THis to me is no different than a warning instead of a speeding ticket going 9MPH over the posted speed limit on a highway.

Over react. I think humans are being conditioned to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 10:58 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
VER ART YER PAPERS.

No, it should be “Geheime Staats Polizei, Ausweis, schnell!!”

You can figure out the translation.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
The border wasn't clear. She made a unknown mistake crossing the border. She was apprehended and detained for a lengthy period, and that is probably the biggest fault here.

Welcome to our world of fear. Logic gets tossed out the door these days, and instead hardlined measures are taken to "protect". Could somebody parade as an innocent jogger just to get illegal access into the U.S.? I suppose they could. I don't carry my ID when I run although I guess I should now.

The article says after crossing into the U.S. and taking a picture she was on her way back. I really think logic would see it was someone out for a run. She definitely should have been stopped. She definitely should have been spoken to. And she definitely should have been given some sort of citation (monetary or not) to reflect the job border patrol must do and a warning to her. THis to me is no different than a warning instead of a speeding ticket going 9MPH over the posted speed limit on a highway.

Over react. I think humans are being conditioned to do so.
Try your logic by crossing a border illegally and see where that gets you.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
She was observed on camera making illegal entry and agents arrested her.

Read my posts, I have spelled it out in minute detail how this event played out.

You've spelled out how news accounts you have read say it played out. Which may or may not be how how this event actually played out. And nothing I said conflicts with what you just said.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You've spelled out how news accounts you have read say it played out. Which may or may not be how how this event actually played out. And nothing I said conflicts with what you just said.
Plus I did that job so I know from personal experience exactly how it played out.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:02 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
Quote:
Mine is no story. According to the article she was detained until two weeks later when Canada allowed her to be readmitted to Canada.

Yet I was accused of making this up.
Quote:
You don’t get it. The issue lies with Canada. They have to allow her to be readmitted to Canada, in the meantime the US is stuck with her until Canada agreed to allow her to return. As I have succinctly stated earlier, if BP took her to the border crossing Canada Border Services Agency CBSA would turn her back to the US since she has no documentation to support her story about her legal entry to Canada. The issue resides with Canada and until they say ok, the US was stuck with her.
You keep repeating this but all the article says is

Quote:
Roman was held in custody for two weeks before immigration officials on both sides of the border confirmed she was allowed back into Canada. Then she was transferred back into B.C.
You are just assuming the delay was all by Canada. For all we know it was 4 hours of Canadian delay and 2 weeks less 4 hours by the US. So yeah, you are just making stuff up to suit the narrative you want to tell.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:03 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
ROFL - This is the American/Canadian Border and not the Berlin Wall, Communist Iron Curtain or Check Point Charlie.

#Dystopian America
Yet.

This is part of why I hate walls. That which is built to keep people out could also, some day, be used to keep them in.

Secure borders are fine. Walls make me twitchy.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 06-23-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-23-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
She was staying in a city very close to the border as it is.

But I'm sure all the local joggers there will make sure to migrate to Alert, Nunavut to do their jogging just to ensure they don't accidentally cross a nearly invisible border.

I'm also sure local joggers there will make sure not to cross the border.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Plus I did that job so I know from personal experience exactly how it played out.

Sure you did. And what in my post you quoted is not how it could have played out? Do agents have the discretion to release a person crossing illegally that can provide no identification?

Old 06-23-2018, 11:09 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
You don’t get it. The issue lies with Canada. They have to allow her to be readmitted to Canada, in the meantime the US is stuck with her until Canada agreed to allow her to return. As I have succinctly stated earlier, if BP took her to the border crossing Canada Border Services Agency CBSA would turn her back to the US since she has no documentation to support her story about her legal entry to Canada. The issue resides with Canada and until they say ok, the US was stuck with her.
I've probably spent about 7-8 months of my life in Canada over a number of years...both before and after 9/11 (I'm a native born U.S. citizen). I've usually found the border officials in Canada to be more stringent than border officials in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies