Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 10:25 AM

59,347 posts, read 27,522,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/06/fre...-weeks-report/
================================================== ===========
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...eeks-1.4717060

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reports that Cedella Roman, 19, was jogging along the beach in White Rock, just north of the border. After taking a photo, Roman had reportedly turned and started jogging north when two border patrol officers detained her.

The teenager, who was visiting her mother who lives in nearby North Delta, had not brought any ID with her for her jog, but still tried to explain the situation to the border patrol.

“I told him I had not done it on purpose, and that I didn’t understand what was happening,” Roman recalled, by saying she had not seen any warning signs.

Nevertheless, she was detained and transferred over 100 miles away to the Tacoma Northwest Detention Center, run by the Department of Homeland Security.

“They put me in the caged vehicles and brought me into their facility,” she said. “They asked me to remove all my personal belongings with my jewellery, they searched me everywhere.”

“Then I understood it was getting very serious, and I started to cry a bit,” Roman recounted.

“It was just unfair that there was nothing, no sign at the border,” said her mother. “It’s like a trap … anybody can be caught at the border like this.”

================================================== ============

I guess she forgot to check her White European Privilege at the unmarked border.

thoughts?

"thoughts?"

Why the racist statement at the end of your "report", "I guess she forgot to check her White European Privilege at the unmarked border.'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 10:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,163,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not buying her story. I'm not saying she is a bad person or a security threat but I don't believe she was lost. It doesn't pass the sniff test. You're young, in a foreign land, you're going to map out your jog. If nothing else to prevent getting lost.
She could have done that and still gotten lost. I have a horrible sense of direction, especially in places without many road signs or if there are lots of twists and turns in the route. This easily could've happened to me, though I always do carry ID.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:29 AM

27,355 posts, read 13,605,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Common sense is an oxymoron. Didn't you know that?

I suspect things like this happen every day, and that the "guilty" parties include citizens from both the US and Canada. God forbid that this kind of detainment and fuss become the normal way of dealing with them.
They should have just got an interpreter, checked out her story and saved the US Taxpayer thousands of dollars, which is what it would cost to detain someone for two weeks. Furthermore it would have saved the girl a lot of heartache and upset.

I really do worry about the common sense of some people employed by Government Agencies.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:31 AM

27,685 posts, read 28,791,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Have any of you actually read the article?

She was a visitor from France.
She was visiting her mother in North Delta, B.C. She had a duty to know where the nearby U.S. border is located.

Don't cross into a foreign country without proper documentation.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:34 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,265,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
They had every opportunity to simply check her story with her mother who lived perfectly legally nearby, rather than detain her for 2 weeks.

She crossed an unmarked border while jogging, which is different to crossing clearly marked borders for illegal reasons.
You don’t get it. The issue lies with Canada. They have to allow her to be readmitted to Canada, in the meantime the US is stuck with her until Canada agreed to allow her to return. As I have succinctly stated earlier, if BP took her to the border crossing Canada Border Services Agency CBSA would turn her back to the US since she has no documentation to support her story about her legal entry to Canada. The issue resides with Canada and until they say ok, the US was stuck with her.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
She was visiting her mother in North Delta, B.C. She had a duty to know where the nearby U.S. border is located.

Don't cross into a foreign country without proper documentation.
ROFL - This is the American/Canadian Border and not the Berlin Wall, Communist Iron Curtain or Check Point Charlie.

#Dystopian America

Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
ROFL - This is the American/Canadian Border and not the Berlin Wall, Communist Iron Curtain or Check Point Charlie.

#Dystopian America
As I have stated, this just manufactured outrage. Your issue lies with international law, not how the US acted.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
She could have done that and still gotten lost. I have a horrible sense of direction, especially in places without many road signs or if there are lots of twists and turns in the route. This easily could've happened to me, though I always do carry ID.

First, I was simply stating what most likely happened, in my opinion. Not making any declarations that it happened like that.

Second, she was taking photos. That is usually done these days with a smartphone, which usually has plenty of other identifying information on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
As I have stated, this just manufactured outrage. Your issue lies with international law, not how the US acted.
It's with lazy officals who couldn't bothered to check out a young girls story rather than International Law.

Furthermore since when has the US ever adhered to International Law.

Quote:
It's with lazy officals who couldn't bothered to check out a young girls story rather than International Law.
Point the finger at Canada.

The US acted appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies