Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 12:50 PM

172 posts, read 108,035 times

Advertisements

So what is exactly the issue? At least the border patrol is doing its job up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Too bad Canada is so small and joggers are forced to straddle the border.
They want you to believe homes are overlooking the border. You probably have to hire a guide to find it.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:42 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They want you to believe homes are overlooking the border. You probably have to hire a guide to find it.

They are. Check the map links.

Out of curiousity, I google mapped the location and looked at street view and sat views. This isn't a desolate beach far from any facilities. It looks like I-5 runs about 100-200 feet from the beach south of the border line. There is a big white monument (Peace Arch) with a US flag and Canadian flag. From the highway next to the monument you can see the beach so you should be able to see the flags easily from the beach. There are few trees so you should be able to see huge US Customs compound that are about 1000 feet south of the border. This encounter likely occurred with unassisted view of those in the buildings. Hard for me to imagine you are jogging along a beach with dense trees on the left and suddenly it all opens up with all this in view and not know it's some kind of checkpoint.
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.0012.../data=!3m1!1e3

That said, it's likely there are no markings on the beach except maybe a monument marker. You can street view some neighborhoods not far from the beach where you have a road with houses on both sides and no signs, sometimes a small fence. You would just have "to know" the road and houses to the left are Canada and the houses to the right are United States.
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.0021...7i13312!8i6656

Old 06-23-2018, 01:47 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
She was observed on camera making illegal entry and agents arrested her.

Read my posts, I have spelled it out in minute detail how this event played out.
Yeah you did that alright but added in all that nonsense about it being Canada's laws preventing her swift return when you know that's utter bullcrap!

I posted an example of the reverse situation happening and showing how Canada deals with American interlopers who cross by accident and you completely ignored that to carry on with this nonsense of Canada Border Agents refusing to accept her had they simply taken her to their entry office.

See that's where you're categorically going off the rails. Had they done the humane thing and listened to her story, and checked her phone records, they could have easily verified for themselves her story being accurate. Had they taken her to the Canada office immediately to check her story, the Canadian agents would have done the very same thing, checked her cel-phone and called her mother to bring her passport down to them, et-voila all sorted.

You're making up a story to suit your agenda it was Canada's rules preventing American border agents using their freak'n brains instead of their MAGA hormones.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Why are you making up a story?
It's at least as good as her story. Long before you come close to the border you must realize you are somewhere you shouldn't be. People don't build next to the border.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:56 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Her mistake was not saying her name was Fernandez.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
They are. Check the map links.

Out of curiousity, I google mapped the location and looked at street view and sat views. This isn't a desolate beach far from any facilities.
If it was that easy, the Somalis would have found it but now.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sure you did. And what in my post you quoted is not how it could have played out? Do agents have the discretion to release a person crossing illegally that can provide no identification?
They have that discretion granted to them by virtue of their job entailing asking just a very few questions of you and then deciding whether to allow you to continue on your way or not.

They have that discretion granted to them at various checkpoints even a hundred miles or more away from the border to stop you and ask questions.

Why bother with the questions if they don't have discretionary powers?

Those guys had the option to simply ask her questions, upon hearing she was a visitor from France to her mother in B.C. to then check her phone records, drive her a half mile to the Canadian border office and then ask the Canadians to perform their due diligence to verify her status.

Her mother was already in contact with CBSA and rushing to their office with her daughter's passport due to her daughter's cel-phone call describing her predicament from the back of their vehicle.

I posted an earlier link as to how Americans who find themselves entering Canadian territory by mistake without identification are dealt with by Canadian authorities. When no criminal intent is evident, they get fed and a bus ride home the same day.

Last edited by BruSan; 06-23-2018 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 02:09 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Also looking at the map, I doubt she jogged from where she was staying in North Delta to White Rock, which would be a 10-15 jog on a barren highway. So how did she get to White Rock to start her jog?

Actually, it looks like a perfect setup to get out of a car on adjacent I-5 a few hundred yards north of the checkpoint, jog a half-mile south along the beach, then get back in her mother's car south of the checkpoint and enjoy the afternoon having lunch and shopping in the USA.

Hey, I'm not saying this is what happened. I'm not saying that she jogged aways into the US to take some pics and tell her friends she went to the US. Just that they are possible explanations that fit the scenario.

For those wondering why the border agents didn't just handle this innocent mistake by letting her go back, maybe just maybe they listened carefully to her story within the context of facts and informations we are not privy to and they concluded it probably wasn't an "innocent mistake"?

Old 06-23-2018, 02:12 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
A wall or fence would have prevented this.
A friggin' sign would have prevented it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies