Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 02:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
These kinds perhaps:

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/arc...canada/496943/

And how were they treated, while not having passports or identifcation upon them and leaving behind a huge mess? Gee they were warmed up, fed and returned by bus the same day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.92586641b89b

"They just made me feel so warm and comfortable," she said of her rescuers in a phone interview with The Washington Post. "If it wasn't for them, I don't know what would have happened to me."

Other floaters were just as grateful for the neighborly assistance.

"God bless Canada!" a raucous group shouted in a Canadian Coast Guard video posted by the CBC.
Yup. Handled properly and with a bit of humour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 02:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The discretion is to ask questions of those with valid documentation and pull aside for secondary inspection, not to waive documentation requirements. I'll say that a border agent has no authority to let someone into the country who cannot produce any form of identification. Also, a border agent does what a border agent's boss says to do. If these agents were sent out there to bring this trespasser into the office for questions, that is what they are going to do.

Sorry but you are wrong, wrong and even more wrong. The discretion extends to those travelling within the U.S. and stopped at one of those checkpoints. They do not even ASK for documents.

Secondly; no one is suggesting they LET someone in without documents. Had you read my post you would have realized she was "in custody" already and they could have easily taken her to the Canadian office one half mile or less away to have it all sorted out in less than an hour but instead they opted to do the opposite and take her two hundred miles further into the U.S.

Finally let's explore your last bit about the boss telling them what to do: Which office are you referring to? The one the responding agents were obviously from; right there at the border as they were there within minutes of her straying across the line and the one at which they could have resolved all of this very easily or the one two hundred miles away?

There was no need for this clusterfugg exercise in officialdom run amuck, None whatsoever, unless of course those guys thought she was hiding a suitcase nuke in her jogging shorts.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It's at least as good as her story. Long before you come close to the border you must realize you are somewhere you shouldn't be. People don't build next to the border.
Where do you people come up with this??/

I posted a link, to show houses along 0 ave. When waiting to cross the border, you can see houses right next to Peace Arch Park.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
She's lucky she didn't accidentally cross the Mexican border. A US marine took a wrong exit and wound up in line to enter Mexico. He had a gun in his vehicle. He was detained 7 months, and tortured.
https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/us/me...ned/index.html

We should not have allowed any Mexicans into the country after that. The French woman was held for 2 weeks, and let go. Big deal. A few years ago some American backpackers crossed the border into Iran and were held for several years.
Oh great; compare a stupid U.S. marine entering with a firearm at a very clearly marked border, with lots of signage stating WRONG WAY he chose to ignore. An incident involving a U.S. citizen crossing a border with a country like Iran you've even had hostages rescued by Canada...….

To a border with Canada and suggest she got off lucky by comparison. Brother you people are just peachy.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:44 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well as pointed out she doesn't LIVE near the border. I know this area. It is very easy to cross over without knowing it when on the beach. First off, if you are looking at the US customs station as being on the border, you would be wrong. Perhaps she was using that as a guide?

The actual border is crossed BEFORE you reach the guard station.

https://bit.ly/2tp9ASz

Easy to do, especially if the tide is out.
A person cannot cross the border from Canada into the U.S. without a passport and visa. If that were the case, then anybody could enter the U.S. on the pretext of jogging. That is open borders. Or, you won’t get far without being stopped by border authorities.

I have crossed the U.S.-Canada border many times and they always check your passport and visa both ways.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A person cannot cross the border from Canada into the U.S. without a passport and visa. If that were the case, then anybody could enter the U.S. on the pretext of jogging. That is open borders. Or, you won’t get far without being stopped by border authorities.

I have crossed the U.S.-Canada border many times and they always check your passport and visa both ways.

When you go through the crossing points. We're not talking about that here. We're talking about someone accidentally crossing at a point OTHER than an official crossing.

Read this example of how Canada has dealt with it again please: Fifteen hundred possibly drunk Americans successfully invade Canada via the St. Clair River | National Post

Old 06-23-2018, 02:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh great; compare a stupid U.S. marine entering with a firearm at a very clearly marked border, with lots of signage stating WRONG WAY he chose to ignore. An incident involving a U.S. citizen crossing a border with a country like Iran you've even had hostages rescued by Canada...….

To a border with Canada and suggest she got off lucky by comparison. Brother you people are just peachy.
Well I'm sorry you can't see that there is a parallel between those three accidental border crossings. Again, Mexico: months of detainment+torture; Iran: years+torture; US; 2 weeks+she had to remove her jewelry.

BTW, do you not recall that 'you people' is raaaaacist? And that comes from YOUR side, not mine.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well I'm sorry you can't see that there is a parallel between those three accidental border crossings. Again, Mexico: months of detainment+torture; Iran: years+torture; US; 2 weeks+she had to remove her jewelry.

BTW, do you not recall that 'you people' is raaaaacist? And that comes from YOUR side, not mine.
The term " you people " can be used in a racist context, but it is not inherently a racist term, as it can be used in many different ways.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:04 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,345,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Where do you people come up with this??/

I posted a link, to show houses along 0 ave. When waiting to cross the border, you can see houses right next to Peace Arch Park.
Don't expect people to challenge their cognitive dissonance.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Don't expect people to challenge their cognitive dissonance.

I should add this for them as well.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=You%20People
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies