Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 03:34 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
To prevent sunburn. A sunburned scalp is excruciating. That being said, a gentleman always removes his hat indoors.
I'm a guy (albeit a non bald nor balding one), and that had never occurred to me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes I'm sure those Trudeau T-shirts must have heads exploding in the US.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Um, what?

The hat is political. It was his campaign slogan. You can't separate the two. Nice try though.
Tell that to people who like Reagan and hate Trump .

Old 07-03-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The hat only means “intolerance†for those who wish it to mean so, for political purposes.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I think it's stupid for a place who relies on customers not to serve.... you know, customers. I don't give a crap if you're a gay couple, if you're wearing a MAGA hat or a Malcom X ****, if you're Sarah Huckabee Sanders or Alex Baldwin, you should be served as long as you're not making a scene. Come on, America! You're better than this!

Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The anger is more towards a person visiting a foreign country,and quite possibly knowing how insulting wearing a MAGA hat in Canada will be to Canadians.

What is the purpose of wearing such a hat in Canada, if not to provoke?

Perhaps he thinks many of the people he might encounter over a long trip don't agree with you politically.

IIRC, your previous PM was 'to the right' of Trudeau.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well Trump sure gets under your skin. Who's fault is that? I am a firm believer that its not what someone says or does but how you react to it that counts. You give Trump a lot of power by reacting the way you do.

In America we have something called freedom of speech. At least at this point the far left has not been able to muzzle it although they try.

I am not a Trump supporter but a hat is a hat and a campaign slogan is a campaign slogan. How anyone can say that is offensive is really hard to believe.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
What the heck are talking about?

The REASON we pay attention to Trump is because he is causing MAJOR damage to the Canadian US relationship.
YOU are paying attention to it because you are butt hurt/your feelings are hurt. All one needs to do is look at the post of yours that I was replying to when you quoted me for your reply above. You put the word 'offensive' in all caps (the only word you did that for in that post), and then wrote the sentence (that I bolded) 'Trump's bashing of Canada is fresh in Canadians minds'.

Quote:
It is going to cost YOU and ME more money because of his lack of ability to negotiate trade.
^^^^^ A reason 'with some meat on it', so to speak .

However...

1. Some people might care more about a specific principle that paying a rock bottom price.

2. You've already revealed from the previous post that hurt feelings are front and center with you re this issue.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:51 PM

Words that do nothing but hurt people's feelings, and words that equal physical threats, whether the person means them or not, aren't the same thing, by definition. You are smart enough to know that, making your 'call out' above disingenuous.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:54 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
looking for a fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Sometimes?.....Yes, definitely.

Most of the time?....Meh, could be argued either way.

In the specific instance in the OP?....Nope.

I think the hat wearer was looking for a fight. Here is why.

The restaurant manager never refused service and he never said anything to the customer about the logo on his hat. The manager merely asked the customer to remove his hat. Then the customer turned and walked out of the restaurant. Then he complained and lied to the owners and said he was refused service because of the logo on his hat.

Why did the customer lie and say he was being refused service, and why did he lie and say it was because of the logo on his hat when the manager had never said anything about the logo? There was no reason for it unless the customer was looking for a fight and tried to create a fight by wearing that particular hat.

Removing a hat is the polite custom in Canada when you go into a fancy, classy restaurant and if that customer happened to be a Canadian he would already know that and wouldn't have worn a hat in there in the first place, nor made an issue of it, unless he was deliberately looking for a fight.

If the customer was a polite foreign visitor from any other country, including from USA, then as a polite visitor and a guest he should expect to follow the old adage "when in Rome do as the Romans do". He should have removed the hat as requested without making an issue of it no matter what kind of hat it was or what kind of logo it had on it. Because that's what a classy person does when they go into a restaurant.

If he was an American visitor and if he was not looking for a fight - why, as a guest of Canada, was he trying to make a political statement about America while visiting Canada at a time when tension is high between Canada and America, and why do it by wearing that particular type of low class hat with that logo and all its inflammatory connotations into a classy restaurant?

There can be only two explanations for his behavior - either the guy was an instigator who was looking for a fight and knows how to tell lies and make up lame excuses or else he is an extremely stupid, bone-headed moron who needs somebody to put a leash on him and keep him away from polite society and nice restaurants. And if he is a foreign visitor who doesn't know how to be a polite guest in other countries then he should stay home.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies