Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 PM

42 posts, read 251,229 times

Advertisements

You are the one who is missing the point. Why don't you admit the reason as to why black males are more likely to be shot by the police? So no, I am not off base with my comment and I stand by the fact that he was off base with his comment. It's time to recognize the truth instead of burying it as it has been for too many years now.

"White officers do not kill black suspects at a higher rate compared with nonwhite officers," concludes a research team led by Charles Menifield, dean of the School of Public Affairs and Administration at Rutgers University–Newark. "The killing of black suspects is a police problem, not a white police problem."

Crunching the numbers, the researchers report "white police officers actually kill black and other minority suspects at lower rates than we would expect if killings were randomly distributed among officers of all races."

https://psmag.com/social-justice/bla...black-suspects

The victims were overwhelmingly male (95.5 percent), and less than 1 percent were unarmed at the time of the incident. "The gun could been in the car, or on them, but it was there at the time they were killed," Menifield noted.

Contrary to the Black Lives Matter narrative, the police have much more to fear from black males than black males have to fear from the police. In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer.

Black males have made up 42 percent of all cop-killers over the last decade, though they are only 6 percent of the population. That 18.5 ratio undoubtedly worsened in 2016, in light of the 53 percent increase in gun murders of officers — committed vastly and disproportionately by black males.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/26/all-th...ack-homicides/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're missing his point. The number of people shot doesn't accurately reflect the reality that if you're a black male, there is a greater chance you'll be shot by a cop than if you're white.

He's never posted anything to indicate he has disdain for any race. You're off base with that comment, and I say that as someone who has disagreed with him many times.
Black MALE. Why does the sex matter? What about black WOMEN? More likely than an Asian, Arab, or Latino? More likely than a white female? There are other races.

Black males are the most violent, most likely to be in gangs, most likely to commit crimes, etc, etc, etc. that’s why. Cops aren’t shooting them for doing too much community service.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:10 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Black MALE. Why does the sex matter? What about black WOMEN? More likely than an Asian, Arab, or Latino? More likely than a white female? There are other races.

Black males are the most violent, most likely to be in gangs, most likely to commit crimes, etc, etc, etc. that’s why. Cops aren’t shooting them for doing too much community service.
So what? I don't care. What I care about is case by case basis. There are more Black men committing violent crimes, but on the occasion that Black men get in an altercation with the police, it is more likely to end with the death of the suspect, even when said Black male suspect hasn't offered violence. I've seen videos of Black females literally get into fisticuffs with the police and get taken into custody alive and unharmed. Case by case basis matters to me more than how much Black men are committing violent crimes. Why should I accept a police officer handling me rougher than someone else because of what other Black men did?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're missing his point. The number of people shot doesn't accurately reflect the reality that if you're a black male, there is a greater chance you'll be shot by a cop than if you're white.
Right, I think this should be the arguing point and not the absolute numbers... White people get shot because they did something deserving to be shot/aka in the act of committing a crime. Black people get shot committing a crime too.

But what about the ones that weren't committing a crime? Those are the ones that shouldn't be beaten or shot but still are. And they tend to lean towards being black...

no one protests criminals being shot, but when you have someone doing nothing illegal and getting shot for no reason, that's reason for protest

Old 09-26-2018, 08:32 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdor View Post
You are the one who is missing the point. Why don't you admit the reason as to why black males are more likely to be shot by the police? So no, I am not off base with my comment and I stand by the fact that he was off base with his comment. It's time to recognize the truth instead of burying it as it has been for too many years now.

"White officers do not kill black suspects at a higher rate compared with nonwhite officers," concludes a research team led by Charles Menifield, dean of the School of Public Affairs and Administration at Rutgers University–Newark. "The killing of black suspects is a police problem, not a white police problem."

Crunching the numbers, the researchers report "white police officers actually kill black and other minority suspects at lower rates than we would expect if killings were randomly distributed among officers of all races."

https://psmag.com/social-justice/bla...black-suspects

The victims were overwhelmingly male (95.5 percent), and less than 1 percent were unarmed at the time of the incident. "The gun could been in the car, or on them, but it was there at the time they were killed," Menifield noted.

Contrary to the Black Lives Matter narrative, the police have much more to fear from black males than black males have to fear from the police. In 2015, a police officer was 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male was to be killed by a police officer.

Black males have made up 42 percent of all cop-killers over the last decade, though they are only 6 percent of the population. That 18.5 ratio undoubtedly worsened in 2016, in light of the 53 percent increase in gun murders of officers — committed vastly and disproportionately by black males.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/26/all-th...ack-homicides/
Just stop. People don’t like facts. They’ll call you a racist soon enough.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:12 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Right, I think this should be the arguing point and not the absolute numbers... White people get shot because they did something deserving to be shot/aka in the act of committing a crime. Black people get shot committing a crime too.

But what about the ones that weren't committing a crime? Those are the ones that shouldn't be beaten or shot but still are. And they tend to lean towards being black...

no one protests criminals being shot, but when you have someone doing nothing illegal and getting shot for no reason, that's reason for protest
Will all due respect-that's bull****. BLM and black agitators (and I'm sure some white ones as well) have protested, rioted and blocked traffic time after time when violent criminals were shot. Mike Brown comes to mind first, but far from the only one.

There ARE cases where innocent people are shot by cops-but they are incredibly rare. As the poster above demonstrated, in 95.5% of police shootings, the suspect was armed. In a great many others, they are attacking officers physically. In still others, a harmless object may be mistaken for a weapon (phone, wallet), especially when pointed towards an officer in low light conditions. And yes, there are a very, very small number that there simply is no excuse for.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

You misunderstood my post. Whether they're committing a crime or not - there is a greater chance you'll be shot by a cop if you're a black male between the ages of 18 - 34 than if you're a white male of the same age.

Cops kill innocent white people just as they shoot innocent black people. They're trigger happy. It seems to be their go-to as soon as something escalates. And they get away with it.

The cop who shot Laquon McDonald is being tried right now. The defense team showed an animated version of the shooting instead of the real dashcam video which is chilling because the 17 year old boy is walking in the middle of the street, sees the cop cars and starts veering in the opposite direction toward the sidewalk and is shot 16 times. 16! Shot as he lay dying in the street. That smug sick F who shot him had a fellow cop testify that a few years ago he had told him about guns that looked like knives...and since this kid was reported earlier to have a knife....well, you get the narrative they're painting, right?

Everyone from the Mayor down to the police chief to these cops all covered it up for more than a year. They lied on their report. It's one of the most sickening egregious incidents captured on video.

Yet there are morons who will still claim he should have complied. (even though he hadn't been asked to do anything....)

Old 09-26-2018, 10:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post

Because statistics matter. You have a greater chance of being killed by a cop if you're a black male between the ages of 18 - 34.

I've also stated one of the reasons cops are trigger happy is because cops have a greater chance of being assaulted or killed when they're stopping black males between the ages of 18 - 34. There's a direct correlation. But that should require additional training which isn't happening.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdor View Post
The neighborhood liked Gotti because in a period where crime was extraordinarily high, the Gotti neighborhoods were safe. Also, Gotti threw huge neighborhood parties and gave a lot of poor, working class people jobs - waiters, clerks, etc.

When it comes to gangs today, they pretty much destroy the neighborhoods they live in with drugs, crime, etc. and they don't give anyone legitimate jobs.
LMAO...load of bull.

So if you’re a serial murderer, it’s okay to be celebrated as long as you give out no-show jobs and throw parties?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Will all due respect-that's bull****. BLM and black agitators (and I'm sure some white ones as well) have protested, rioted and blocked traffic time after time when violent criminals were shot. Mike Brown comes to mind first, but far from the only one.

There ARE cases where innocent people are shot by cops-but they are incredibly rare. As the poster above demonstrated, in 95.5% of police shootings, the suspect was armed. In a great many others, they are attacking officers physically. In still others, a harmless object may be mistaken for a weapon (phone, wallet), especially when pointed towards an officer in low light conditions. And yes, there are a very, very small number that there simply is no excuse for.
If Mike Brown is “far from the only one,” name 9 or 10 other cases where that happened.

I’ll wait.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
2 ways to prevent getting shot by the police:
1- Obey the law.
2- Obey police commands.
And don't be in your own apartment minding your own business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies