Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Too bad his policies can reverse this trend. Imposing tariffs is not a smart thing to do during an expansion.

https://voxeu.org/article/stable-gen...ect-us-economy

Tariffs are the smartest thing to do to reverse the liberal globalism

Tariffs level the playing field that the USA has been getting the shaft on for the last 25 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 10:44 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Did you even read your own article? It was early 2009, while the economy was deep in a recession, and lending to small businesses had come to a near standstill, so Obama was trying to free it up. Whether you like it or not, most small businesses depend on bank loans, so all he was trying to do was restore that lending to normal.

Yes I did. That was the point. Obama was saying that we needed to borrow more money to solve the debt crisis.

Bankrupt businesses were supposed engage in capital spending to create products to sell to people with no money.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Don't tell that to the Trumplings, who seem to believe the economy is rip-roaring just because The Donald said so.

or we could just look at Obozo's stagnation after the liberal recession

15,974 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Default Trump Tax Scam - Marketwatch

www.marketwatch.com/story/the-trump-tax-scam-had-a-very-bad-week-2018-07-19

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
So you have a strong opinion on something you know nothing about.
You are arguing about something I wasn't even referring to, and never said. Again, since you seem to lack simple reading comprehension, I was NOT referring to ANY policies. I was referring to the poster claiming 8 years is the "slowest recovery ever", which is simply ignorant, and untrue. I have made no claim to know what Obama policies "saved us" (as you keep saying), or that I thought he had any such policies. You are inferring something that isn't there, and keep repeating yourself like a parrot.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Tariffs are the smartest thing to do to reverse the liberal globalism

Tariffs level the playing field that the USA has been getting the shaft on for the last 25 years

I am trying to calculate the effects. If the US balances the trade deficit this is going to have consequences on the US dollar. The $USD is a reserve currency which means more must flow out, but not return in good and services. Its not just trade barriers that de-industrialize the US BTW. The reserve currency also does.

In addition to this the US is raising interest rates , if it continues, then money will flow into the US even more. International cash flows will become a problem in $USD terms. However will it also hasten the USD losing some reserve status?... in which case gold will be an interesting thing to watch.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:52 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Too bad his policies can reverse this trend. Imposing tariffs is not a smart thing to do during an expansion.

https://voxeu.org/article/stable-gen...ect-us-economy
It looks like the author of the study is misusing the synthetic control method. From your link.

Quote:
We let an algorithm determine which combination of other economies matches the evolution of real GDP in the US beforethe 2016 election with the highest possible accuracy. For this purpose we rely on a large data set of 30 other OECD economies and observations from 1995Q1 up to 2016Q3. Assuming we find a good match, we can then compare the evolution of the US economy since the election of Trump to its doppelganger that did not get the ‘treatment’ of electing Trump.
His algorithm needs to exclude OECD economies whose growth is causally correlated with that of the USA.
Unless he does that, all his study shows is that a number of other nations have also benefited from the Trump effect.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
You are arguing about something I wasn't even referring to, and never said. Again, since you seem to lack simple reading comprehension, I was NOT referring to ANY policies. I was referring to the poster claiming 8 years is the "slowest recovery ever", which is simply ignorant, and untrue. I have made no claim to know what Obama policies "saved us" (as you keep saying), or that I thought he had any such policies. You are inferring something that isn't there, and keep repeating yourself like a parrot.
it was the slowest recovery from a recession

the recession ended in June 09...before any Obama policy went into effect.... the recovery dragged on because of Obama/liberal policies... of UNSURE policies... that made the business world (and residential (the carbon tax for example)(cap and tax)) unsure of what would happen

Old 07-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post

You said:
You think recovery comes overnight? Blissfully ignorant.

I suppose that to mean you are in the know because you are not "blissfully ignorant".

It seems to be that you are just not blissful.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I am trying to calculate the effects. If the US balances the trade deficit this is going to have consequences on the US dollar. The $USD is a reserve currency which means more must flow out, but not return in good and services. Its not just trade barriers that de-industrialize the US BTW. The reserve currency also does.

In addition to this the US is raising interest rates , if it continues, then money will flow into the US even more. International cash flows will become a problem in $USD terms. However will it also hasten the USD losing some reserve status?... in which case gold will be an interesting thing to watch.

yes a trade deficit/surplus is part of the issue...

the other thing to consider is how many jobs (about 50 million) have been outsources due to no tariffs leveling the area wage playing field
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies