Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:24 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
You think recovery comes overnight? Blissfully ignorant.

What was Obama's policy that fixed it? Was it giving money to bankers so that they could loan it back to us at 3%?

You do realize that was the policy, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
an article from Vox Ba ha ha ha
This isn't the same Vox. This is a policy website of peer reviewed research from trained economists.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
I'll give some credit to Trump for the stock market. However, the overall economy is still Obama's and the stock market mostly benefits the rich. Everything Trump has done so far with the economy is more likely to cause a recession than keep it on a healthy trajectory.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:33 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What was Obama's policy that fixed it? Was it giving money to bankers so that they could loan it back to us at 3%?

You do realize that was the policy, right?
I wasn't commenting on policies. I was commenting on the ignorance of someone saying that 8 years to recovery is the "slowest ever". I made no comment whatsoever about Obama's policies, or Trump's policies.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
I wasn't commenting on policies. I was commenting on the ignorance of someone saying that 8 years to recovery is the "slowest ever". I made no comment whatsoever about Obama's policies, or Trump's policies.
Considering how dire the situation was in the fall of 2008, it's remarkable that we avoided Great Depression 2.0. I think Obama deserves credit for that (and Bush as well for that matter). Following the crash of 1929, things didn't return to normal for over a decade and the depression would have likely lasted longer if it wasn't for the war effort.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 AM

https://money.cnn.com/2009/10/21/sma...oans/index.htm

Here is an Obama solution. The best way to solve a debt crisis is to borrow more money. Yep, that's the ticket.

For example, if you owe money you can't pay, borrow more of it and invest it in a business so that you could sell it to other people who are in massive debt. In that case ,encourage your customers to also borrow more money so that every one can solve the debt problem..

Obama

https://www.aol.com/2009/08/03/banks...buy-u-s-bonds/
"U.S. lenders bailed out by the government are returning the favor by stepping up purchases of Treasuries, helping to temper a rise in borrowing costs."
Returning the favor? That's one way of looking at it, but I think that's too gentle a way to describe it. The arrangement sounds more like a con of some kind. The Treasury borrows money to lend to the banks, and then the banks lend that money to the government so the government can hold down its borrowing costs. And of course, hundreds of millions in fees and salaries are generated through this exchange.

This is how rock bottom stupid people are. Banks received cash form the bail out and "helped" by buying US bonds which is loaning money back the the US.

Bloomberg

Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Considering how dire the situation was in the fall of 2008, it's remarkable that we avoided Great Depression 2.0. I think Obama deserves credit for that (and Bush as well for that matter). Following the crash of 1929, things didn't return to normal for over a decade and the depression would have likely lasted longer if it wasn't for the war effort.

What was Obama's policy that saved us?

Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
So you have a strong opinion on something you know nothing about.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
https://money.cnn.com/2009/10/21/sma...oans/index.htm

Here is an Obama solution. The best way to solve a debt crisis is to borrow more money. Yep, that's the ticket.
Did you even read your own article? It was early 2009, while the economy was deep in a recession, and lending to small businesses had come to a near standstill, so Obama was trying to free it up. Whether you like it or not, most small businesses depend on bank loans, so all he was trying to do was restore that lending to normal.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'll give some credit to Trump for the stock market. However, the overall economy is still Obama's and the stock market mostly benefits the rich. Everything Trump has done so far with the economy is more likely to cause a recession than keep it on a healthy trajectory.
I'll be needing to know what the policy was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies