Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 06:22 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
People have died being shoved. You know that, I'm assuming. Head hits the concrete and that's it.

Shoving someone is physical assault by law.

Look at the video again and you'll see a second guy quickly walking toward them. It's the guy that stood at the door listening before going in. Then the illegal parker came out, trailed by the second guy.

I don't like that the man was shot either, but the shooter was pushed, then the guy started walking toward him again until he saw the guy on the ground reach for something. Only then did he start to back off. So did the second man.

Everything happened so quickly - the adrenaline is going and I can see where the guy who was shoved could feel threatened.

You and I can sit here and say he should have just pointed the gun to see what happens but we're not there in the moment.

And the law, whether we like it or not, is the law.
Then the law needs to be changed because that’s a bull s*** law. That man wasn’t scared. He was pissed! He knew damn well if they saw his gun they would have left, but I think he was looking for an excuse and the shove gave it to him.

Don’t defend him. He doesn’t deserve it.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:24 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That man wasn’t scared. .
Any wise man would be scared-tossed a second earlier like a rag doll.

Writing your post likely took 4-5 times as long as this entire interaction between deceased and the older man.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:30 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Any wise man would be scared-tossed a second earlier like a rag doll.

Writing your post likely took 4-5 times as long as this entire interaction between deceased and the older man.
Yes it did, which is why I’m horrified. I watched again and as soon as that gun came out the guy backed off. The parking monitor didn’t give warning or think for a second before shooting a man who was clearly backing away. Had he taken at least a few seconds he would have realized that. This law was not meant for these situations.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Yes it did, which is why I’m horrified. I watched again and as soon as that gun came out the guy backed off. The parking monitor didn’t give warning or think for a second before shooting a man who was clearly backing away. Had he taken at least a few seconds he would have realized that. This law was not meant for these situations.
A second is all it took. Its unfortunate the assaulter who shoved him failed to simply try to talk things out.

Stupid prizes for the assaulter's stupid actions.

SYG was written to cover these situations.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:33 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Reaction time plotted by age - not a massive difference between mid-20's and mid-40's
https://www.frontiersin.org/files/Ar...00131-g002.jpg

If the point is that they were close, I get it. But in many such situations, a mid-40's person could easily represent a physical threat to someone 20 years younger. Not that big of a difference.....in the mean.
I don't think you understood my point. The post I was responded to attempted to make a point that one man was five feet away, as though five feet represented a "safe" distance.

My point is that even 20 feet is not a safe distance. The most you've done is indicate that 20 feet isn't safe even if the assailant is older than "a young man."

Thank you.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:33 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Then the law needs to be changed because that’s a bull s*** law. That man wasn’t scared. He was pissed! He knew damn well if they saw his gun they would have left, but I think he was looking for an excuse and the shove gave it to him.

Don’t defend him. He doesn’t deserve it.
It is NOT a BS Law... Far from it.
Go live in NY or MA. My sister and a group of her friends were stalked walking to their campus out in springfield MA when she was in college. It was ILLEGAL at the time to be carrying any sort of weapon. I had her and her friends get chlorinated brake clean to keep in their purses. Because Pepper spray was illegal there unless you were law enforcement. Well, 2 of her friends got attacked by a much bigger dude when they split up. They were able to spray the guy in the eyes put his dick in the dirt took the fight right out of him...

If they had pepper spray, that guy they shot in the face, the girls would have been charged if caught...
Turns out the man who had chased them was picked up stumbling around by campus cops. He had quite a resume I mean rap sheet.

It is not a BS law. You have a right to not be physically assaulted and a right to defend yourself as you see fit. Why do you have a problem with people defending themselves?

Old 07-23-2018, 06:35 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
He shoved him. He didn’t punch him. He didn’t shove him on the ground and then jump on him. He pushed him away from him and then started to back away. He did what any MAN would do to someone threatening his wife.

I can’t believe all the people here defending this crap. The man with the gun could have pulled his weapon and told the guy to back off, and I can almost guarantee the guy would have backed off. That man didn’t even take 5 seconds from pulling his gun and then pointing it at him and pulling the trigger.

I do not think stand your ground laws were meant to cover situations like this. If it does cover it, then they need to amend that law. It’s bs, and anyone defending it needs to review that video again and imagine how you’d feel if that were your son or brother or father.
You cannot separate this incident from the statistics that whites use to judge black people. As we read constantly and are constantly reminded of, the black murder rate is 8 times higher than the white murder rate. Another statistic relevant to understanding the opinion of many is single parent homes among blacks.

When looking at this incident, those stereotype plays into the formulation of opinion about whose was at most fault in this incident. In other words, given statistics, the white guy had a reasonable fear because blacks kill at 8 times the rate of whites. Also, the argument that the black guy was protecting his girl friend/family is challenged by the statistics that say black males don't support the mother of their children or families. In other words, they don't think blacks really LOVE and hence they don't buy the argument that a black man was justified in pushing the white guy IN ORDER TO PROTECT HIS FAMILY. He pushed because its just in black males DNA to be violent.

A lot of people are basing their opinion off of their fears and they feel a CPL and a law to protect them and give them the benefit of the doubt is all that is protecting them from street thugs.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-23-2018 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"790.10 Improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms.—If any person having or carrying any dirk, sword, sword cane, firearm, electric weapon or device, or other weapon shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit the same in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense, the person so offending shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree ...."

As I read the law, it's not illegal to show the firearm in legitimate self-defense. You [and others] are actually saying that once you pull a firearm in self defense, it's a crime not to shoot. Think about that.
What has happened in Florida is the argument that if all you had to do was brandish, then it wasn't a true self defense situation in the first place.

The situation would have to be identical to a true self-defense situation, which in most cases would not end with mere brandishment.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
. In other words, they don't think blacks really LOVE and hence they don't buy the argument that a black man was justified in pushing the white guy IN ORDER TO PROTECT HIS FAMILY. He pushed because its just in black males DNA to be violent.
This is not racially based, but hello, it was his gf (not wife). Girlfriends are NOT family.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
He shoved him. He didn’t punch him. He didn’t shove him on the ground and then jump on him. He pushed him away from him and then started to back away. He did what any MAN would do to someone threatening his wife..
Have you been unexpectedly shoved to the ground by a man in anger?

The reason I ask is because you do not seem to be familiar with the pain, shock, alarm, and disorientation a person experiences when it happens.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 07-23-2018 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies