Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:26 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many Mexicans have Spanish (European) heritage and would be classified as Caucasian, even if they have some native blood mixed in. They are white. It's interesting though, how many Americans don't see them as white.
What does your post have to do with the thread topic? Jorge Ramos is whiter than me. We're talking about Mexico's hostility towards it's black citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 01:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Did you even know that there was a black Mexican subculture and that up until 2015 they weren't even counted in the census??? How is that not controversial that our neighbor to the south is still to this day so racist against darker Mexicans. Look at Jorge Ramos, he's whiter than me with blue eyes. Why are 99% of all Mexican reporters and telenovella stars white? We should be able to have an open and honest discussion about this.
Yes. Though it is more aptly termed colorism, and occurs all over the world, not just Mexico. Asia, the US, Africa, everywhere.

Ok, what do you want to discuss about it? People are colorists, even within their own race, its dumb. What else should we say?

Old 07-24-2018, 01:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
The actress from 12 years a slave is Mexican right? Forgot her name. Hope she can bring some recognition. Hate racism between Hispanics. Makes no sense.
Lupita Nyongo?

She is Kenyan mexican. Meaning she is Kenyan who was born to Kenyan parents who had left Kenya for political reasons and were residing in Mexico at the time. She is not what the OP was referring to.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Just like all of the Caribbean and America, slavery was introduced to Mexico as well. Most were in Veracruz and Oaxaca, but Mexicans are extremely racist and hostile towards them. Almost all Mexican tv personalities are Lilly white with very few exceptions. Mexico even published this overtly racist stamp several years ago.

U.S. says Mexican stamp is racist - World news - Americas | NBC News

OMG the stamps are horrible. Thanks sm, for all the info.

I see now....been to Mexico but likely didn't notice...
so very sad. Very disheartening.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes. Though it is more aptly termed colorism, and occurs all over the world, not just Mexico. Asia, the US, Africa, everywhere.

Ok, what do you want to discuss about it? People are colorists, even within their own race, its dumb. What else should we say?
By who? Did you make up that term?

Old 07-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
OMG the stamps are horrible. Thanks sm, for all the info.

I see now....been to Mexico but likely didn't notice...
so very sad. Very disheartening.
It's disgraceful. It's just odd that Mexico is so overtly racist, yet never get's called out for it.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:04 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many Mexicans have Spanish (European) heritage and would be classified as Caucasian, even if they have some native blood mixed in. They are white. It's interesting though, how many Americans don't see them as white.

Because they aren't white per se. They are of mixed race either mestizo or mulatto.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:09 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
This would be a true dilemma for the American white liberal and a blow to their belief that minorities are cohesive in their fight against whites. Too bad this does not get much coverage in the U.S.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:28 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Quote:
I read an article of a woman from Central African Republic that was raped by a French UN peacekeeper. She got pregnant and her child was mocked and ridiculed for being "white", i.e. she wasn't truly African because she was mixed. Sadly, racism knows no borders, cultures or skin colors.
That's a shame for both the mother and child, but has nothing to do with my statement. I am speaking of "colorism" if there is such a word, you are speaking of someone perceived as an "outsider."

Old 07-24-2018, 04:30 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
What does your post have to do with the thread topic? Jorge Ramos is whiter than me. We're talking about Mexico's hostility towards it's black citizens.
If you look closely at Latin American societies, you will notice that the ruling class, by and large, tends to be fair-skinned. There is a term for them --- blanquitos---which literally, means "little whites". In these countries if you marry someone who is lighter-skinned than you, you are considered to have married up. The paradox is that interracial marriages have been acceptable long before they were in the mainland US.

There are some odd attitudes. In college, I knew a Newyorican who asked me if I was white or PR. I told her that there are black PRs and white PRs. She gave me a blank look, then said to me "You are white". Why can't I be both?

I have read about how badly Mexico treats its black citizens. It's heartbreaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies