Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 11:28 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This. She's a nerd living in a specific bubble. I knew the meaning of those medical terms and the word exculpatory, and I am no where near as educated as she is. I also would not come off as strange as she does but often nerds don't recognize how odd they may appear to the normies.
^^This. She's in a bubble. I've listened to most of the hearing.

I think she's telling the truth. That said, I can't get past the fact this was a 36 year old event and these were immature, sex-on-the mind 17 y/o boys acting stupid. Assuming Kavanaugh does not have a pattern of this behavior in his adult and professional life, the assault 36 years ago isn't relevant today.

Given the notoriety, hate, and other negative consequences to what is really a meaningless event TODAY, I think she was irresponsible to her family to have come forward. I would never had done it because the outcome will not change.

Other than informing the public about childhood misbehaviors, the hearing won't accomplish a thing. Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

That said - just based on his appearance I do think Kavanaugh certainly at one time had - and may still have - a drinking problem. He looks rather undisciplined to me.

Either way - it's of no matter. Trump is winning this one.

Disclaimer: I am a Trump HATER.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Not crying is in no way an indication she is lying.
ACTING like you're crying but with no tears is weird though. I haven't seen one tear in her eyes though she's allowing her voice to crack and tremble repeatedly.

Also though her voice is trembling, her hands as she drinks, stirs her coffee, etc. are not trembling at all. You don't think that's pretty unusual for someone who is painted as being so emotionally devastated by this alleged assault?

What a weirdo. I do think she believes she was groped up - assaulted if you will - at some point, and maybe she was groped up when she was drinking, underage, at a party with other drunk teenagers. Wow, imagine that scenario. Say it ain't so! Sheeze. If I had a dollar for every time some drunk guy came on to me too strong during high school or college I could go buy a nice pair of shoes. I was foolish for putting myself into some of those situations. I mean, what else did I expect to happen at a party with no adults present, with people drinking, with teenage hormones on overdrive?

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
As of now - he remains anonymous.

I wonder why Mark Judge isn't there. My guess is ~ he's already been talked to and Republicans know that he would have some things to say that are very unfavorable for his good buddy, Kavanaugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I thought you meant the anonymous men who had called in to say that it was THEY who committed the assault. That has happened as well but I believe they remain anonymous.

The person who should also be testifying today is Mark Judge. But, Republicans didn't want to call him.

I wonder why.
Judge stated he does not recall the party nor event. But why stop at Judge? There are two others at the party, including Ford's lifelong friend, who do not recall the party either.

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
The ONLY thing Ford is sure about is that it was Kavanaugh.

But can't remember when or where. Has she stated how she got home that night ? Did she have parents ? Something so traumatic that it still effects her 36 years later , one would think she would mention it to them, or perhaps a close friend, someone ?

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Nailed it!! I have been to so many parties where guys would drink and get aggressive. I know so many women who have a similar story and don't believe her. They say she would remember. The Democrats tipped their hand to me when they wanted Kavanaugh to testify first.
... and they delayed until today for the hearing. She has been coached by the Democrats to say "Brett did this...Brett did that". He is going to sue her into poverty when this is over regardless of the outcome since she has no evidence.

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Democrats have just taken politics to a new low and shown they’ll do literally anything to win. Things are going to get uglier.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:30 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Well after the fact, but what repeatedly occurs to me is to ask where were the parents of this party-bunch, specifically the falling-down-drunk boys? These entitled, spoiled, over indulged, testosterone-poisoned preppy boys seemed to attend boozy unchaperoned house parties weekly or more often in the summer, always with no parents present or apparently aware.

Didn't the parents ever recognize their kids were hungover? Didn't they ever notice the vast number of beer cans and perhaps liquor bottles in the trash, notice equally trashed houses once they got home to party-central? Did these kids go to beach week all by themselves, rent beach houses with no adults present, at ages fifteen and up? Didn't parents ever smell booze on them or take note of their no doubt disheveled states? Didn't they give a damn, or did they just write it off as appropriate teenage shenanigans? Didn't the neighbors ever call the police about noise and other party-related issues?

And what about the parents of the girls who hung out with these spoiled brats? No doubt like the boys, the girls lied about their activities - but why was supervision so slack? Did they all climb out their bedroom windows to hang out with their preppy pals? Couldn't the parents tell that their kids were lying about having chaperones, having good clean fun, etc.? How gullible - or plain lazy - or indulgent were these parents?

I am not talking about the parents of the naïve kids who were enticed to a one-time event where they were molested, or got in over their heads, but of those who habitually "partied" in this dissolute fashion and who had no respect for the truth or for others.

Single-sex education may well bear part of the blame, as it often leads to the opposite sex being viewed as "other", "not like us", and inferior and put here for pleasure, devil take the consequences. This certainly appears to have been the case at Georgetown Prep during the 1980s.
I grew up kind of like them and will tell you at least 1/4 of my group of friends parents traveled all summer and left their kids alone (or with 18 year old nannies). Police were called basically to every party. They did nothing but break it up. Never asked to speak with an adult. I lied to go to some parties (I am sleeping at so and so's and so and so would say she was sleeping at mine). Once I hit 16 and 17 my parents probably knew where I was.

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Are you even watching? All of the Republicans have yielded their question time to a single woman who is questioning her on their behalf. The only old men ''questioning" (i.e., fawning over) her are Democrats. This woman is being handled with kid gloves by both sides, and the Republicans will not be thanked for it. Clearly.
Good lord, how are you overlooking Grassley's obvious misogyny? He may not be directly questioning Ford, but he continually made critical, petulant, even childish comments every single time he had the podium this morning, and his tone of voice and facial expression certainly spoke volumes.

Past time to retire, Grassley.

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think Mitchell should read the sworn statements of Judge and Leland denying any knowledge of such incident to Ford to ask her response to that. It would get that evidence on live national TV just like Ford's statement.
But this information has already been all over national TV.

AND....

Judge has admittedly talked about drinking to blackouts on a regular basis and you are going to suggest he is a credible source.

WOW.....

Old 09-27-2018, 11:31 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I just wanted to weigh in on this whole business of Dr. Ford's fear of flying.

I have a fear of flying. First time I flew, it was when I was 8 or so and I was going on vacation with my family. I didn't really understand what was going on. I think we hit turbulence or something. All I recall is that every moment of that vacation, I was in constant fear of flying home.

I didn't fly again until I was 25. The thought of flying was paralyzing. My boss insisted I fly on the "corporate jet" which was a six-seater. I had no other option really. I felt my job was tenuous at the time due to funding and I didn't think they'd understand why I didn't want to fly.

I did wind up flying that day - and it took a lot of "compartmentalization" for me to do it. I had to think logically - things that everyone else takes for granted. You know, the physics of flying, people do it every day, etc etc. I managed. It took every ounce of me to do it.

The next time I flew, it was my honeymoon. It wasn't much better. I was on edge from the moment my fiancee and I decided we were flying to our destination all the way until we arrived. Funny that I was more nervous about a flight than about getting married. And my fear of flying has continued. I've flown for various reasons (family destination wedding, business, etc).

Every time I fly, it is nearly debilitating for me. I'd try and find other ways to get where I'm going. Or to not go at all. It actually takes a lot of bravery to do what you are afraid of. I can see where Dr. Ford is coming from in this respect. I wouldn't make much of "she says she's afraid to fly yet she flies anyway."

A lot of people suffer from that. There are phobias that limit your life and then there are phobias that people can overcome with much effort.
I understand that some people are afraid to fly. I understand that some people avoid flying, either entirely or sometimes, because of that fear. What I don't understand is someone who states that she is afraid of flying, hates to fly, and all that; yet, it's different if she is going on vacation. WTF? Since when has fear of flying been about the destination, 12:30 this afternoon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies