Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 07:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
That is why she was cut from the force vs being kept on unpaid leave pending
My understanding is that her Union isn't covering her legal tab either
That tells you something--at least it does me--if it is accurate
If her Union isn't backing her then likely there is something to bring out as to motive or her capacity prior to shooting...
I do not know about the union's obligations to off duty issues. The event occurred not in relations to her duty as a police officer, so it is unknown what the union's role would be in this. The union typically is involved during on duty issues, and actions by the gov towards the officer. I think the union thought it was fair she was dismissed given the charges against her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'll repeat myself again about the doors.

They are heavy fire doors in that complex. They do not stay open on their own. If you don't prop them open, they will close behind you.

Every door has a key lock like a hotel room. If you insert your key into the door and the light turns red, you are at the wrong door. If it turns green, you are at the correct door. The door light was red for her. The door would not be "ajar" unless someone purposely left it that way.

So either the door was ajar and she pushed it open when inserting her key into the wrong door and getting the red light or the door was not ajar, she got a red light, and somehow, who knows how, forced the door open.

Either way, she had plenty of warning that was at the wrong damn door, yet she still plowed her way in and shot someone.

Once again, nevermind the red doormat beneath her feet, she didn't have one, and nevermind the giant, very brightly lit sign that showed the apartment number right next to the door where it was shining, brightly, in her face...we'll ignore those things, apparently.

And people actually believe that this was all one big "accident". BS.
They are not fire doors, simple internal solid core wood doors, and they have a spring door hinges to assist it to close itself. They are far, far from 100% guaranteed to close and latch every time as spring loaded hinges sort of suck for that guarantee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 09:30 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'll repeat myself again about the doors.

They are heavy fire doors in that complex. They do not stay open on their own. If you don't prop them open, they will close behind you.

Every door has a key lock like a hotel room. If you insert your key into the door and the light turns red, you are at the wrong door. If it turns green, you are at the correct door. The door light was red for her. The door would not be "ajar" unless someone purposely left it that way.

So either the door was ajar and she pushed it open when inserting her key into the wrong door and getting the red light or the door was not ajar, she got a red light, and somehow, who knows how, forced the door open.

Either way, she had plenty of warning that was at the wrong damn door, yet she still plowed her way in and shot someone.

Once again, nevermind the red doormat beneath her feet, she didn't have one, and nevermind the giant, very brightly lit sign that showed the apartment number right next to the door where it was shining, brightly, in her face...we'll ignore those things, apparently.

And people actually believe that this was all one big "accident". BS.
If there was a red doormat in front of the door, than that should have been a huge clue and makes the story totally not believable as an accident even more now.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:02 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A civilian does get that benefit of a doubt, meaning if they entered their apartment, wrong apartment or not, and shot what they thought was an intruder. That is the basics of the castle doctrine.

The family and many in the public are supporting a murder charge, the family called for a murder charge, so I do not think this is all on the prosecutor, the original charge was manslaughter which was more fitting.
A civilian doesnt get the same level of benefit of the doubt by a jury. Depending on the story, civilians would be looked at with suspicion first. Guilty before innocent, cops are opposite. This is why juries are usually deliberating in the cops favor when the situation isnt egregious. They make excuses for cops right away. In this case, it would be worse for the civilian, but this cop, luckily, will still have credit taken away because she went to the wrong apartment. But I bet her line would be that she told him to put up his hands up and dont move, and he didnt listen, so he is supposed to know shes a cop, so he deserved to get shot. Which is what many people already said in the top of this thread.

What I hope is that it will be worse for her, because people that get killed by cops in no knock raids at wrong addresses are expected to submit to cops in hindsight. Some people actually think civilians are expected to instantly know to not defend themselves against intruders when they dont know the intruders are cops.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:22 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You don't. "Wow, someone broke into my apartment and swapped all of my stuff for other stuff".

It didn't happen.
This was a Steven Wright bit. Something about the FBI tracking him and going into his apartment one day and replacing everything with an exact duplicate.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:40 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
This was a Steven Wright bit. Something about the FBI tracking him and going into his apartment one day and replacing everything with an exact duplicate.
LOL, yes it was a take off from his bit. In her case though, it wasn't an exact duplicate.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:25 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
What I hope is that it will be worse for her, because people that get killed by cops in no knock raids at wrong addresses are expected to submit to cops in hindsight. Some people actually think civilians are expected to instantly know to not defend themselves against intruders when they dont know the intruders are cops.
The only people who would actually know how to behave when being raided would be bad guys who are used to being raided.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Update as of January 8, 2019

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/01/08/...r-botham-jean/

Quote:
It wasn’t until November, after Dallas County prosecutors convened a grand jury, that Guyger was indicted her for Murder. This time she turned herself in at the Mesquite Jail, posted a $200,000 bond and has been free ever since.

The case has attracted international attention since Jean, who attended college in Arkansas and worked for the PricewaterhouseCoopers accounting firm in Dallas, was a native of St. Lucia.

During today’s hearing the judge also issued a gag order preventing attorneys, on both sides, from discussing the case prior to and during the trial. Part of that order said — “Serious comments have been made that pose an imminent threat to the constitutional rights of the defendant.”

With the case in the spotlight, Guyger’s attorneys had previously said they were considering requesting a change of venue. The actual murder trial isn’t expected to get underway for several months.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,935,039 times
911 call audio released.

Although I wasn't sure before, I'm pretty sure this was an accident, that she actually thought she was in her own apartment. Her powers of observation are horrifically flawed, though, and she was incredibly quick on the trigger.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/cr...6-141ffabb44a1

Old 04-30-2019, 09:49 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
911 call audio released.

Although I wasn't sure before, I'm pretty sure this was an accident, that she actually thought she was in her own apartment. Her powers of observation are horrifically flawed, though, and she was incredibly quick on the trigger.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/cr...6-141ffabb44a1
To me it never mattered. Maybe it makes the prison sentence a little less but to me it's prison either way.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
Sounds like an accident from the audio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies