Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 05:13 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
We need a timely reporting law so that people's lives can no longer be disrupted and democracy hijacked by ancient allegations which cannot be proven or disproven due to the lapse of time, eroding memories, and generally making it impossible to ascertain factual events from fictional allegations.

We can all agree that sexual assaults are more impactful on society than property crimes, right?

So, in CA and NY/RI, you have 5 days and 24 hours, respectively, to notify law enforcement of the theft of any firearm.

Surely for something even more emergent than a missing piece of property, we can impose the same reporting requirements on a far more serious offense, to ensure that investigations are contemporaneously initiated, that evidence is preserved, and so that the system ensures equal justice in the form of sufficient due process, for both victim and accused.
I would have thought that a 12 month time frame would be more appropriate..

48 Hours is just too short a period.

As the law stands Thirty-four US states have statutes of limitations after which allegations of sexual assault but cannot be prosecuted. Statute time limits range from three years to thirty years depending on the US State.

Understanding Statutes of Limitations for Sex Crimes | RAINN

State by State Guide on Statutes of Limitations | RAINN

Why do state laws put an expiration date on sex crimes? | PBS

California ended statute of limitations on rape after Bill Cosby. It may not apply to the Golden State Killer - CNN

The US-UK divide on sex cases - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-28-2018 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 05:37 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
Quote:
So, in CA and NY/RI, you have 5 days and 24 hours, respectively, to notify law enforcement of the theft of any firearm.
Yes, let's compare the theft of a firearm to the traumatic experience of rape, attempted rape and sexual assault.

Now, if society publicly shamed and ridiculed those who lost their firearms and assumed they were lying and sent death threats, maybe we'd almost be in the same ballpark here.

Just a bit tone deaf on the whole situation.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Yes, let's compare the theft of a firearm to the traumatic experience of rape, attempted rape and sexual assault.

Now, if society publicly shamed and ridiculed those who lost their firearms and assumed they were lying and sent death threats, maybe we'd almost be in the same ballpark here.

Just a bit tone deaf on the whole situation.
Perhaps it's because they hold guns on the same level they do women? Or in higher regard?

Old 09-28-2018, 07:52 AM

301 posts, read 189,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, I don't remember what I was doing 90 days ago.

But 13 years ago? I was wearing size 6 jeans from American Eagle, a size medium short sleeve maroon t-shirt with a white outline of a bear (my school's mascot), size 8 black flip flops... I know what I ate, what I drank, who I hung out with, which sheets I had on my bed... What my rapist was wearing... What he said to me...

I've relived every detail of that day, and the next day, in my head over and over again. There is no reason for me to do the same for July 27, 2018. Nothing happened that day. But the day I was raped 13 years ago? So much time was spent trying to figure out what I could have done differently, that it's pretty hard to forget that day.
Same. I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

I remember that yellow tank top, black pants, that my hair was unwashed and shoved in a baseball cap, that I was still wearing my restaurant shoes, and that the band sang "Oh Sherrie." I remember who I was with. I remember the joke Steven told that made us all laugh, but only because it was so dumb. I remember Jenn stubbing her toe so hard that her toenail ripped off and she bled all over the patio. I remember taking the first sip of my Guinness and savoring it, because it was the first sip of alcohol I'd had in weeks. I remember being with my friends, celebrating the end of a long shift, and relaxing. I remember feeling safe and happy.

The next thing I remember is waking up in a ditch around the corner from my house. I remember washing the blood off and wondering if it was all mine, or someone else's - there was so much. I remember being so sick. I remember thinking that I should probably call someone, say something. I remember being afraid that whoever did this would find me and do it again if I told. So I didn't.

I will always remember this.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You are projecting something onto me that I never touched upon.

There isn't a whole lot society can do with an old accusation that can't be backed up when it's he said/she said. Even if everyone they both know get's interviewed to ask about them it's just he said/she said multiplied. And after 35-40 years nobody is telling anything right, our memories aren't that good. We CAN find patterns that exist, but evil Kavanaugh only seemed to exist in HS and possibly Frosh yr of college around now-liberal women if the accusations are true. I'd need to know how he managed to turn into a choir boy for the last 34 years instead of continuing with his rapey ways. AND how he managed to avoid conservative gals.

Sure you can believe your sister but don't ask me to without some bit of evidence. I don't know your sister, she might be wacko.
It's often he-said-she-said 10 minutes after the sexual assault. He says she consented, she says she didn't. While there may be evidence of sex, how do you determine if there was consent or not? Even if the victim is bruised or suffers vaginal tearing, he can still say she wanted it rough.

I do believe Ford, and I believe Judge's book. These were teen-age boys in the 80's with money and access to alcohol. They behaved badly. And the standards for behavior were different then. Times have changed, and I would think Kavanaugh has changed a lot over the past 34 years. As a judge, he would have been on the forefront of many of the social changes regarding women and sex. As a husband and a father, he would never sanction the kind of behavior he engaged in when he was young. At least I hope he would not.

I understand Ford's need to share these details about a man who is on the verge of a Supreme Court appointment. I understand that many conservatives see her story as something far in the past that doesn't apply to the Kavanaugh of today. I understand that it's become political, and that when things become politicized, that truth and justice aren't the goals, political advantage is the goal.

I feel badly for all involved in this. Ford, Kavanaugh, and his family.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:09 AM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Oh yeah, that will work. Women who are already devastated will have to report it immediately or it doesn't count. What a stupid idea.

Why shouldn't they have to report it in a timely manner? Seems like their devastation would be alleviated instead of living with it for several years. It's BS for these women to be coming forward after so many years especially when it ruins the alleged sexual predator's life and career. Not that they don't deserve it if they are actually guilty but it's hard to prove or disprove after so many years. But come on, this is pure nonsense! What happened to the statute of limitations?

Old 09-28-2018, 08:13 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Another thread of men telling women what to do and how to feel.
That’s what it really boils down too even more so knowing those on the right tend too be involved in more sex scandals. Sadly women are still looked down by the right.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:14 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
So...all those Catholic school boys who were molested by priests when they were kids...sorry, boys, you're out of luck. You should have reported it immediately. Because of your cowardice, the priests will suffer no consequences for molesting you as a child.

Stupid, stupid idea.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 AM

36,540 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
In 90 days, there is no physical evidence, recollections have already begun to fade as to specific circumstances. Can you remember where you were exactly 90 days ago and everything that happened that day?

Unless you keep a diary, I don't see how anyone could possibly recollect what happened 90 days ago.

So anyone without a diary, or a fastidiously maintained appt calendar, would be largely unable to account for their whereabouts, the events of the day, conversations or meetings they had, etc.

There are reasons why there are Statute of Limitations for most crimes and requirements for a speedy trial. This issue, is among those reasons.
Same situation happens when cases actually make it to court. It is usually months even years before a case is heard. Even if you remember details in a police report your not going to remember them a year from now and what one stated within 48 hours of an attack may not be accurate or complete if the victim is still in an emotional state from the attack.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why shouldn't they have to report it in a timely manner? Seems like their devastation would be alleviated instead of living with it for several years. It's BS for these women to be coming forward after so many years especially when it ruins the alleged sexual predator's life and career. Not that they don't deserve it if they are actually guilty but it's hard to prove or disprove after so many years. But come on, this is pure nonsense! What happened to the statute of limitations?
Their devastation would be alleviated, or exacerbated. Because having people know that you've been grabbed, held down, and violated is so comforting. Tell us how YOU would feel if YOU had to tell someone that that had happened to you. Tell us how YOU would feel if YOU knew others were talking about what had happened to you. If some people were whispering that YOU were a liar, if others were treating you differently because they felt sorry for you . Tell us how YOU would feel if investigators were looking into your past, how many sexual partners have you had, did you like kinky sex, did you invite the assault? Sexual assault is intimate, and humiliating. Shame and guilt and fear and anger is what you feel afterward. It's not easy to report. Women are coming forward because they hope that by sharing their stories that the shame and guilt will go away, that other women will stop feeling shame and guilt. Women are coming forward when it's a prominent man who could have an impact on policy and law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies