Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 06:34 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No there is no implied consent just because a girl is drunk. It actually means there isn't any consent, because you can't give consent when drunk.

A woman having more then one drink doesn't mean she is sexually interested in a man. You can't be serious with this line of thinking...
So a drunk man implies he consents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 06:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
I would be in favor of a 5-10 year limit on reporting attempted rape, but I'm not sure about a limit for reporting actual rape.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:29 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The point is that making a false accusation a harsh crime would limit the false accusations..... I think it is fairly easy to prove a false accusation. People lie about crimes every day and somehow the investigation still discovers it.

I've known a couple rape victims.... many are incapable of even discussing it after many years... and many let it define them. Example, many boys abused by the priests only come out when they are adults and usually have emotional and mental issues they live with for the rest of their lives.

and

No... its not like getting into a fight. You remember that you lost and got your rear handed to you.... but it doesn't define you and affect you like a rape does. Your ego and wounds (hopefully) will heal with time.
It already is a crime and can carry years in prison. The fact is false accusations of sexual assault are rare, and those that lead to any consequences are extremely rare. I know men now want to portray themselves as victims these days but they aren't. Most sexual assaults are never reported because the consequences are immense for reporting. In most cases of false accusations then acussed doesn't even know it happened because it goes nowhere. In the rare case where a man is accused and consequences are suffered, the accusers are almost invariable mentally unstable, using drugs or meds, and have ties to criminality, either themselves or family. This was the case with the Duke Lacrosse accuser.

A review of 10 years worth of studies on false allegations uncovered that not only are false reports rare, it is very likely that many women accused of false reporting were indeed assaulted. That double trauma of being assaulted and then labeled a liar is why so many women never report.

A 2006 paper by Philip N.S. Rumney in the Cambridge Law Journal offers a review of studies of false reporting in the US, New Zealand and the UK.[5] Rumney draws two conclusions from his review of literature. First, the police continue to misapply the "no-crime" or "unfounding" criteria. Studies by Kelly et al. (2005[/b]), Lea et al. (2003), HMCPSI/HMIC (2002), Harris and Grace (1999), Smith (1989), and others found that police decisions to no-crime were frequently dubious and based entirely on the officer's personal judgment. Rumney notes that some officers seem to "have fixed views and expectations about how genuine rape victims should react to their victimization." He adds that "qualitative research also suggests that some officers continue to exhibit an unjustified scepticism of rape complainants, while others interpret such things as lack of evidence or complaint withdrawal as 'proof' of a false allegation."

Rumney's second conclusion is that it is impossible to "discern with any degree of certainty the actual rate of false allegations" because many of the studies of false allegations have adopted unreliable or untested research methodologies. He argues, for instance, that in addition to their small sample size, the studies by Maclean (1979) and Stewart (1981) used questionable criteria to judge an allegation to be false. MacLean deemed reports "false" if, for instance, the victim did not appear "dishevelled" and Stewart, in one instance, considered a case disproved, stating that "it was totally impossible to have removed her extremely tight undergarments from her extremely large body against her will".[16]

Last edited by detshen; 09-28-2018 at 10:03 PM..

Old 09-28-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
How about, we change the law so that a woman that has consentual sex with a man can't rescind her consent the day after and say RAPE.

?
This is emotional rhetoric. It's often used by those who hold a lot of resentment and wish to malign women as well as those who are opposed to premarital sex and wish to scare men and women. The spectre of false allegation continues to dog the reporting of sexual violence and keeps women quiet. There remains a public impression that false allegations are common and that countless innocent people suffer as the result of being wrongfully accused.

The evidence on false allegations fails to support public anxiety that untrue reporting is common. While the statistics on false allegations vary, they are invariably and consistently low. The numbers are already low AND it can be shown in many cases that they have been inflated by using third party accusations, those that have been withdrawn or cases where there simply wasn't enough evidence. None of those are actual false accusations but end up in the statistics.

Last edited by detshen; 09-28-2018 at 10:00 PM..

Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This law wouldn't have been put in place if there weren't so many people coming out saying they were raped or sexually assaulted years ago only to have it turn out the whole thing was a lie. This is what happens when people choose to forego forward thinking and instead act on what feels good.
There is no evidence this is happening, so your point is moot. The stats don't back up your claim of many people coming out.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
My new rule is that if someone is accused "on the eve of..." with no evidence I'm going to discount it. I discounted Roy Moore's accusers and I hated Roy Moore. It's just too obvious a smear and if they ARE telling the truth they are doing it wrong, are doing it in a way to call themselves into question, and they lose me at that point.

I'm also not interested in anything that isn't criminal being brought up more than 20 years later in an attempt to paint someone as a bad person. If there's no suggestion of it happening in recent times then it's probably no longer a problem. People change, so do our social values, morals and laws. I'm not about trying to hold the past to today's standards. I can't even stomach some of today's standards and I'm living here!

Old 09-28-2018, 10:14 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,812 times
Even I don’t agree with this. Lol.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:16 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My new rule is that if someone is accused "on the eve of..." with no evidence I'm going to discount it. I discounted Roy Moore's accusers and I hated Roy Moore. It's just too obvious a smear and if they ARE telling the truth they are doing it wrong.

I'm also not interested in anything that isn't criminal being brought up more than 20 years later in an attempt to paint someone as a bad person. If there's no suggestion of it happening in recent times them it's no longer a problem. People change, so do our social values, morals and laws. I'm not about trying to correct for the past.
So how should they be telling the truth

Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Well people are horribly abused via other violent crimes all the time, by non-sexual physical assaults, terrorized, beaten, intimidated, threatened with death if they should report the crime, shot, stabbed, etc, and they still manage to report being kidnapped, tied up, beaten, tortured, etc and so forth.

How come nobody comes forth with reports of such atrocities committed during home-invasion robberies 30 years later?

You'd have us believe that sexual assault is so much more traumatic that it prevents all victims of assault from timely reporting, and there's no evidence for that.
Other assaults don't carry the stigma and blame that sexual assaults do. It's common knowledge that the victim is often blamed and not believed in sexual assault cases. If she had any alcohol or knew the attacker the chances of her being believed go down dramatically and she knows she will be questioned about all the things she did "wrong," drinking, manner of dress, being alone with a man. That's in addition to the general squemishness surrounding sex and the fact that throughout history women who were raped were deemed "dirty," or "broken." They still are in many cultures. We pretend it's so different in modern America but it's rare to hear of rape case and not have the victim questioned on her level of responisibility for the crime.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:32 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Oh yeah, that will work. Women who are already devastated will have to report it immediately or it doesn't count. What a stupid idea.
So women are so free and open minded and strong, thst they can "shout their abortion", do menstrual blood painting, do plays about vaginas, yet can't go to the police and file a police report/get rape kit done (usially with a rape victim advocate by their side) (and be referred to rape counselling) when they have been assaulted/raped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies