Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:48 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,852,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Initially she was, but she subsequently won the seat in 2004 with write in votes
As I understand it, the rape statistic in Alaska is very high. I believe, even though Kavanaugh has been found innocent of this charge, Murkowski wouldn't be able to vote yes, even if she wanted to because of the MeToo culture pouring their venom on any moving target.

Not every man is a rapist. So, IMO, they need to stop projecting their pent up feelings on anything that breathes. It is getting trashy and disgusting.

It would have been a huge teachable moment if she used this situation to teach Due Process as our American way. Alas, she hasn't the courage for it. I've never viewed her as a Republican anyway.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:52 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,580,252 times
51-49. I'll take that.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:52 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't know. There are other reasons Alaskans don't love Kavanaugh. That said, it's refreshing to see someone vote their conscience without worrying about which way the political wind blows.

Yeah? Are the on the Supreme Court? Didn't think so. Listen, even former conservative judges are speaking out about his nomination.

Polygraphs are often used for employment purposes. Working at the FBI for example.

Listen, if he HAD been brave enough to take a polygraph and he had passed - you'd be crowing about it 24/7.
Joe Lockhart (former WH Press Secretary under Clinton) thinks there may be an agreement between Flake, Manchin, Murkowski, and Collins and that as part of such Murkowski was 'released' (Lockhart's word) to vote as she did.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:53 AM

89,258 posts, read 45,002,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
So, in your opinion, the word of just one person is enough to derail this? If that's the case, there will never be anybody that will get through. There will always be someone from the past who has a bone to pick with someone nominated.
Correct, and either side of the aisle could quash the other side's pick by making a false allegation, no corroborating evidence whatsoever necessary. No one would ever make it through the nomination process because the other side will always be opposed. That's what the Dems have rendered.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:54 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,058,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You and many others keep thinking this is a criminal trial with the same standards for evidence as such. This is not a criminal trial. Kavanaugh is not being sentenced to prison. This is an appointment to the Supreme Court. The two are not at all alike. It is a job interview. In any job interview, a person can be cut from consideration because the potential employer doesn't like the tie they are wearing. And this is a job lasting decades in which it is nearly impossible to get fired. Are you suggesting his demeanor and lying alone is not enough to disqualify him?

I find it hard to believe that Kavanaugh supporters would hire any person as an employee in their own business if he were accused of committing sexual assault. I do not think they would. He would be too much of a liability.

People get fired or eliminated from consideration all the time for lying on their applications, much less lying under oath. And they want such a person on the Supreme Court?
So, you agree that the Dems had a great political strategy to smear with sexual allegations eh?

I mean, since it is not a criminal trial... no harm right?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 AM

669 posts, read 322,234 times
Quote:
You and many others keep thinking this is a criminal trial with the same standards for evidence as such. This is not a criminal trial. Kavanaugh is not being sentenced to prison. This is an appointment to the Supreme Court. The two are not at all alike. It is a job interview. In any job interview, a person can be cut from consideration because the potential employer doesn't like the tie they are wearing. And this is a job lasting decades in which it is nearly impossible to get fired. Are you suggesting his demeanor and lying alone is not enough to disqualify him?

I find it hard to believe that Kavanaugh supporters would hire any person as an employee in their own business if he were accused of committing sexual assault. I do not think they would. He would be too much of a liability.

People get fired or eliminated from consideration all the time for lying on their applications, much less lying under oath. And they want such a person on the Supreme Court?
Many holes in your thinking.

#1 - The majority of the Senate decides if they like the tie or not. So far, it looks like 'yes', they like the tie.
#2 - By your accuser argument, the mere insinuation alone is enough to get disqualified. Ok, then if this sets a precedent, any candidate from either side can drudge up a person to make an uncorroborated claim. Especially if it's from the 'enemy' camp.

Like you said.. it's not a criminal trial.. as of now, politically, there's a Republican in the White House, and majority in the Senate, with the last election still fresh. It was known leading up to the election, what Trump's motive for the SCOTUS was so this is not a surprise from a political standpoint. His mandate still stands (meaning he's not a lame duck this early).

Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
Quote:

Almost all of the Democrat Senators didn't look at it as a job interview. They had their minds made up right when the nomination was announced, vowing to fight the nomination from that day on.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:57 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,077,897 times
I believe in the foundation of our legal system. Due process. This entire exercise has been a sham, and extra-legal misdirection.

It is a shame really, as there are many corroborated sexual assault charges that are diminished, actually shamed, by the faux leveling of the playing field of all must be believed. Justice is not about fair, as the attempt to currently redefine what is fair - You are guilty, unless you can prove yourself innocent - is attempting to sell.

669 posts, read 322,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Correct, and either side of the aisle could quash the other side's pick by making a false allegation, no corroborating evidence whatsoever necessary. No one would ever make it through the nomination process because the other side will always be opposed. That's what the Dems have rendered.
Exactly. They don't realize this tactic could be used against them and bite them in the 'bum' when they get the power back.

8,502 posts, read 3,356,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ford lied about coaching people on tricking polygraph tests.
Believe what you will about the bottom line but please, please, please make some attempt to get your facts straight. NO ONE, not even the boyfriend said that. The boyfriend's accusation was that he overheard McClean (a one-time Ford roommate) asking how not to be nervous and what to expect from a polygraph. She asked because Ford was a psychologist and her friend.

Then many years later Mitchell asked her if she provided "tips" on polygraph tests, with Mitchell making it clear that she wasn't asking about coaching people to lie. Ford said no.

That's it. So sure maybe the boyfriend remembered an interchange between two roommates from about 20 years earlier that never crossed Ford's mind.

Some of what people write here is compelling and I understand their concerns ... but then they pepper their posts with the same smears they are complaining about.

Very weird to read ... like being in alternate universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies